Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 03:49 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,902,960 times

Advertisements

I am not the best at directions here. I tend to think NSEW which is completely useless on the EastCoast so if I don't have landmarks, I am totally lost.

How do I get to Pentagon City Mall?-Google maps are totally wrong (gee, what a shocker..) as they introduce JeffDavis/Rt1 into the directions.

Heading home this time I managed to accidentally end up on 15th street that turns into South Joyce Street. That intersects with Columbia Pike 644 West and there was a small Rt27 sign onramp. So got on 27, bumped into 50 Arlington Blvd Westbound and got home. However, as 7 year experienced East Coast driver, I know just because it works in one direction, it won't in both.

A pox on any house that states one of the following :
"use googlemaps/mapquest/online map engine"
"Use a GPS machine"
"use your cellphone as a GPS machine"

I have taken the Blue line and it is fun with kiddos from time to time.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 03:52 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,957,626 times
Where are you coming from? I take 395, take exit 8C, turn right on army/navy, and the parking garage will be on your left.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Where are you coming from? I take 395, take exit 8C, turn right on army/navy, and the parking garage will be on your left.
Merrifield. I tend to use backroads and avoid all highways as the traffic is totally unpredictable. Thanks!

Old 07-15-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Merrifield. I tend to use backroads and avoid all highways as the traffic is totally unpredictable. Thanks!
66 to 110 will spit you right into Crystal City. Turn right on either army navy (parking garage will be on your left) or if you miss that, 15th street (parking garage will be on your right).

Or if you want to avoid the highways, you could do 50 to 27, which will exit at the top of the hill above the mall. You want to go down that big hill (Army navy Dr) and the parking garage will be on your right.

I know you hate google maps, but if you click on the print version, you can select the "street view" option, which shows you a picture of each turn so you know what the exit ramps are going to look like. Very helpful, in my opinion!

Old 07-15-2013, 05:22 PM

9,888 posts, read 14,169,146 times
Quote:
"Use a GPS machine"
This forum is not your personal directional service, just because you refuse to use or are not comfortable with GPSs. While some people nicely offer options, it is rude of you to wish a "pox" on those who would dare to provide the most logical answer. That answer is to use the correct method for asking directions.

But since you are looking for advice, I advise you to get yourself to AAA and get yourself a TripTik.

(by the way, I've OFTEN taken Rt 1 on my way to Pentagon Mall.)

Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
(by the way, I've OFTEN taken Rt 1 on my way to Pentagon Mall.)
Yeah, coming from Merrifield if it suggested 110, that spits you right onto rt 1. I looked at the google maps directions and all options looked correct to me.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:11 PM

6,571 posts, read 8,426,843 times
Quote:
I am not the best at directions here. I tend to think NSEW which is completely useless on the EastCoast so if I don't have landmarks, I am totally lost.

How do I get to Pentagon City Mall?-Google maps are totally wrong (gee, what a shocker..) as they introduce JeffDavis/Rt1 into the directions.

Heading home this time I managed to accidentally end up on 15th street that turns into South Joyce Street. That intersects with Columbia Pike 644 West and there was a small Rt27 sign onramp. So got on 27, bumped into 50 Arlington Blvd Westbound and got home. However, as 7 year experienced East Coast driver, I know just because it works in one direction, it won't in both.

"Use a GPS machine"

I have taken the Blue line and it is fun with kiddos from time to time.

Thanks
From 15th street, take a right onto S. Hayes Street (before 15th turns into Joyce). I won't suggest you look at Google Maps, but that's what I did.

You were right there!

Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,317,905 times
50 to Washington Blvd., take exit towards US-1, cross Army-Navy Dr. - voila, you are on South Hayes St. Mall is on your right.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:24 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,393,725 times
Problem with being on S. Hayes St. is that, yes, the mall is there, but the entrances to the parking garage are not.

50 to 27/Wash. Blvd., exiting at US 1 exit is fine (these are the Google Maps directions also). But once you get to the intersection with Army Navy, make a right on Army Navy and the parking garage will be on your left.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:19 AM

Thanks everyone. As most of you know, my brain tends to processes differently so all your help is well appreciated

Quote:
This forum is not your personal directional service, just because you refuse to use or are not comfortable with GPSs. While some people nicely offer options, it is rude of you to wish a "pox" on those who would dare to provide the most logical answer. That answer is to use the correct method for asking directions.
Boo-you're cranky I didn't know you became a Moderator

Quote:
But since you are looking for advice, I advise you to get yourself to AAA and get yourself a TripTik.

That TripTik thing is awesome (Can't rep you).
See-- if I had not posted a note on my "personal direction service" you would not have told anyone else about this cool, non-rand mcnally TripTic thingy. Because my question is so much less important than Malls challenged airconditioning or Negotiating prices with retail furniture stores, both threads I found interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia