Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:29 AM

21 posts, read 46,807 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
We just moved to NoVA and have started our search for a "church home". We're living in the Dumfries area and thought some of you may have some suggestions??? We're looking for a Christian Church (our church of 10 years was non-denominational and very contemporary). We need diversity, a strong children's ministry and a "come as you are" feel.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 01:14 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,460,387 times
From Dumfries, you can cut up 234 over to Manassas and check out McLean Bible Church's "Prince William" campus - it's right off 66 where 234 crosses (the eastern time).

Diversity is pretty good, Kid's Quest program is strong, dress is casual, modern music, and non-denominational - so could be what you're looking for?

Unfortunately I'm just not that familiar with the I-95 corridor down there for churches, so I don't know if there's anything good that's closer.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 PM

121 posts, read 469,764 times
Agreed with snowenscold - I'm not a member but I know lots who attend McLean satellite campuses, and I think they do a very good job of being local yet still being part of the larger campus (programs, groups, message, missions etc). I know that the youth groups for instance all go on mission trips together etc.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:26 AM

Waaaaaaay delayed response...sorry!!!

Thank you for this suggestion. We've heard great things about McLean Bible Church from many different people. It sounds A LOT like the church we came from in Las Vegas. We're reluctant to try it because Manassas is a satellite campus and we were hoping to find something closer. Well, we haven't found any church that feels like "home" yet, so are probably going to give it a shot.

The "church home" we left when we moved here had satellite campuses, but we were blessed to live near the main campus. Some friends who attended the satellite campuses didn't like having the pastor up on a screen. Some didn't mind it. I guess it's no different that watching on line (which we often do). Our kids need a good strong children's ministry, so if McLean is as amazing as I've heard, perhaps we'll have to be ok with the satellite campus so our kids can thrive in a wonderful learning environment.

Thank you much for the suggestions!!!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:19 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
It's pretty hard finding the right one apparently, since the Obamas have been here almost four years and have had no luck.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:22 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
We are looking for a Methodist church with a good contemporary service. It would be nice to have decent music. We've been to the Old Bridge one and it wasn't a good fit. We live in between Manassas and Woodbridge but are willing to travel.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:55 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,249,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We are looking for a Methodist church with a good contemporary service. It would be nice to have decent music. We've been to the Old Bridge one and it wasn't a good fit. We live in between Manassas and Woodbridge but are willing to travel.

Have you tried Grace United Methodist in Manassas? I'm not a member here but I've been to a few programs here and have many friends that go here? I really liked what I saw there in the few visits.

Grace UMC - GUMC Home

Old 10-29-2012, 07:52 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnjen View Post
Hi Everyone,
We just moved to NoVA and have started our search for a "church home". We're living in the Dumfries area and thought some of you may have some suggestions??? We're looking for a Christian Church (our church of 10 years was non-denominational and very contemporary). We need diversity, a strong children's ministry and a "come as you are" feel.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jen
Check Christ Chapel on Smoketown rd in Woodbridge area. Much close than Manassas, I think.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! Still searching.....

Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
I am actually looking for a smaller sized Southern Baptist church if anyone has any ideas. I am used to a sort of country church feel where there is a church family, not the type where in order to see your preacher you have to look at a screen or two.... =/

I am in Woodbridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia