Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 PM

74 posts, read 135,742 times

Advertisements

Now my husband's office will be in Springfield versus Arlington. We were originally looking at Sterling and Ashburn but now want to expand options. I love the feel of these two areas so am looking for similar with a commute to Springfield. How about chantilly or south riding area? Anything south of springfield?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 01:55 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
It being in springfield is worse than in Arlington btw, there is no good way to Springfield from Ashburn. I used to live in Herndon and could get to Arlington in 35 minutes but it took 50 minutes to Springfield. Its a case of closer is worse since you have to go in a bad direction of traffic.

Have you consider south county fairfax instead? Or you are dead set on Loudoun?

Old 05-10-2012, 02:09 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times
If you're working in Springfield, stop looking in Sterling and Ashburn would be my advice.

Burke, West Springfield, Lorton, western Annandale - these are good places to start now.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:34 PM

I am not looking in Loudoun used that as a reference point of our original ideas. We liked those areas for families and activities and want something similar with a commute to Springfield. We have 3 boys under age 6 and want a family friendly atmosphere with a budget of 550,000 but could go up to 600. We want a nice house, yard, etc. we are use to suburbs in cities and like that feel. How is Woodbridge area? Also, my husband mornings, he leaves by 6am.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:14 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Everyone seems to like Burke for families. Plus the commute would be great. And I think you'd hit your price range. Homes would likely be older than in Ashburn. Schools are generally considered to be better than those in Woodbridge.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:29 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Everyone seems to like Burke for families. Plus the commute would be great. And I think you'd hit your price range. Homes would likely be older than in Ashburn. Schools are generally considered to be better than those in Woodbridge.

However, I noticed that the OP was looking at Catholic schools. Woodbridge has excellent Catholic schools, both K-8 and high school.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:30 PM

We are actually looking at private school options so want a good family friendly area; I honestly haven't been impressed with Burke but may look again. I felt the options in Sterling and Ashburn reminded me more of what we want for our family. We loved Cascades area in Sterling and were looking for similar "feel". Houses not too old but reasonable. I noticed a lot of people talked about Lake Ridge area of Woodbridge that is why I was curious.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:45 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp1030 View Post
We are actually looking at private school options so want a good family friendly area; I honestly haven't been impressed with Burke but may look again. I felt the options in Sterling and Ashburn reminded me more of what we want for our family. We loved Cascades area in Sterling and were looking for similar "feel". Houses not too old but reasonable. I noticed a lot of people talked about Lake Ridge area of Woodbridge that is why I was curious.
I would try Burke again - from what you've described, I think it might be what you're looking for. There is a lot of similarity to Cascades, IMO. Well, except for being near the Potomac River...

Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times
mrsp1030

There are pockets around this area that will meet your needs no matter where you look. Keep in mind that on this board we tend to speak of broader generalities unless you ask very specific questions about a very specific neighborhood or development.

I suggest that you weigh your husband's needs with those of your sons'.

Your husband will be better off the closer he lives to his worksite. Of course you get a better cost-of-living (and real estate prices) the further out you live. But, I can tell you from experience, what looks like (and is) doable in the beginning (long commute, lots of commuting $$$) gets more and more soul draining. Long commutes will exact a heavy toll on your DH that will not improve over time, the impact only get worse. For each mile you live further from your husband's workplace, add an additional ten minutes worth of commute (rush hour M-F inside the beltway) as a rule of thumb. Less than that on good traffic days, more than that on bad traffic days.

As far as your sons are concerned, Woodbridge is cheaper in a general sense. You will get a bigger house and yard for your money in Woodbridge but it is considered more down-market, i.e. worse crime and worse schools than Arlington/Fairfax. Lakeridge is not a bad option, though. Non-com and junior officer families like Kingstowne due to its affordability, prevalence of other military families, convenience and proximity to Ft. Belvoir amenities. Lots of younger civilian families like Kingstowne/Franconia/Rose Hill for the same reasons (minus the military commissary). Other families with younger children like West Springfield/Burke. There are pockets of Annandale that are very nice, but Annandale has a lot of immigrant families, which impacts the public school system. Given the limited information you have provided, you may even want to consider the closer-in Hybla Valley, Mount Vernon, or Pohick Valley areas.

If you plan to home school or pay for private schooling, that expands your neighborhood options, as your money will buy you more in a not-as-desirable area. People live by the public school pyramid here, it has a major impact on your housing budget.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:02 PM

Honestly, for our price range, everything in BUrke seems much older and smaller than what we found in these other areas. After several relocations to multiple states: we have lived in upstate NY, Phoenix AZ, England, Cincinnati, Oh and Houston, TX areas we are ready to settle in for the long haul in northern va as we have family on the east coast and within a 2 hour hour drive. So, yes, Sterling appealed to us as did Ashburn but now not as reasonable for a commute. Catholic schools are important to us so that is why I was looking in Woodbridge area as I have heard great things and also know the new high school opened up in Dumfries. Another option was also Chantilly area as commute time could change as going other routes versus solely 66. For all those telling me about Burke, please tell me why....I am just not familiar with it and not seeing what we are looking for in housing options there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia