Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:58 PM

5 posts, read 6,982 times

Advertisements

We are coming to the DC area from Michigan for a service at Arlington. I found a very reasonable hotel in Springfield, but someone told me the commute into Arlington would take somewhere near 3 hours!! Is this true? The Arlington service is at 9 a.m. on the Monday after Easter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:11 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz2101 View Post
We are coming to the DC area from Michigan for a service at Arlington. I found a very reasonable hotel in Springfield, but someone told me the commute into Arlington would take somewhere near 3 hours!! Is this true? The Arlington service is at 9 a.m. on the Monday after Easter.
It will not be three hours (barring a horrible weather incident or accident). Good news, it is the day after Easter, so traffic should be lighter than usual. Other good news is that Arlington County schoold will still be on Spring break, which also makes for lighter traffic.

Will you have at least three people in your car? If so, you can easily get on the HOV lanes and get off on Washington Blvd. This will take you about 20 minutes from the Mixing Bowl (495/395/95) to Arlington. If you will only have two, you might want to head over to the HOV-2 lanes on 66. This route might take 30 minutes from the Mixing Bowl.

In any event, plan on getting to Arlington early for the services. They follow a strict routine, and really aren't waiting around for people.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:14 PM

214 posts, read 499,826 times
It won't take 3 hours. I don't believe that day is a federal holiday, so you will be traveling at rush hour time in the direction of the most traffic on 395N. I'd guess it would take up to an hour accounting for traffic. You could try taking Metro too. Others should be able to comment on a better time estimate.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:30 PM

Thank you both. Does our 3-year-old count toward the HOV lane eligibility? And how does that work exactly? If we get off at Washington Blvd, are we still on 395? Sorry, it's all new to me and not quite sure what to expect!

Old 02-26-2013, 01:38 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,685,694 times
Yes, children of any age count toward the HOV total. If you decide to take Metro, it's a bit of a walk from the station to the cemetery, so be sure to dress for the weather and consider bringing an umbrella stroller for your child.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the tip Yankeesfan. In the event we don't use the HOV lane (we have other family members in separate vehicles with fewer than 3 people), how long would it take (guesstimate) from Springfield to Arlington. An hour or less?

Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Thank you both. Does our 3-year-old count toward the HOV lane eligibility? And how does that work exactly? If we get off at Washington Blvd, are we still on 395? Sorry, it's all new to me and not quite sure what to expect!
If you get off on the Washington Blvd exit, you are no longer on 395N, but Washing Blvd should take you right to the cemetery. It's not complicated, as long as you pay attention to the signs. And yes, all humans, regardless of age, count towards your total. If you have three, I see no issue staying in Springfield.

And, if you get there early, there is plenty to see at the cemetery.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 PM

437 posts, read 1,229,621 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip Yankeesfan. In the event we don't use the HOV lane (we have other family members in separate vehicles with fewer than 3 people), how long would it take (guesstimate) from Springfield to Arlington. An hour or less?
Give yourself an hour to be safe. Assuming that you are staying in a hotel in central Springfield near Rt. 644 it shouldn't take that long, but the traffic here can be unpredictable so definitely give yourself some extra time.

If you can carpool with the other family members so that each car has 3+ people it will save a lot of time to take the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lanes and should only take you about 20 minutes. You can maybe give yourself 30-35 minutes to be sure in that scenario.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:34 PM

Thanks so much bornindc!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:21 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,685,694 times
I just looked at the website and saw that the cemetery opens at 8:00 am. And I realize that I neglected to extend my sympathy on the loss of the friend or family member whose funeral you are attending. My condolences to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia