Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:05 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
I am just not the kind of person to complain about silly things like that. At least he's mowing the lawn. I have lived in neighborhoods where people didn't and that was far worse.
I don't consider noise trouble a silly thing. The noise ordinances that most jurisdictions have would agree with me. My rental company is losing me as a tenant in a few weeks mainly b/c of a major noise issue not even their doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 11:16 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,730,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
Some people sleep until noon and for those people, even 11:00 would be intrusive.
Yeah, but there are far fewer of them--thus the laws reflect the schedules of most people. I used to work midnight to 6AM years ago, and I just had to get used to earplugs and blindfolds.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:53 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 VII 7 View Post
I think if that is the worst of your problems you are doing OK. The person might mow it that early because that is their only time because it gets hot out. Also trying make their lawn look good for the week/weekend/holiday
So, it's more important that they not get too hot than their neighbors need to sleep? I'd be furious if someone tried to use that excuse on me.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:16 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I don't consider noise trouble a silly thing. The noise ordinances that most jurisdictions have would agree with me. My rental company is losing me as a tenant in a few weeks mainly b/c of a major noise issue not even their doing.
Years ago, I had to move because my next door neighbors let their big dog outside at 7:00am when they went to work and he barked all day long. I worked nights and there was no hope of ever sleeping during the day. I felt sorry for the dog, he was clearly bored out of his mind, and unhappy about being left outside, but we all lived in old houses without A/C so closing the windows in the summer was not possible. Ear plugs can only block out so much noise.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:21 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,716,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Doesn't bother me as I'm an "early bird". Been up since 6AM; however, I've been listening to my neighbor that is 2 houses down cut his grass. I would never do that. I realize that most people sleep a bit later on the weekends. What's wrong with people?
Unfortunately, Christine . . . far too many "First Person Singulars" in our society nowadays.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:46 PM

491 posts, read 1,171,273 times
Have the same problem with 2 guys who have a lawn-mowing business and come around to my townhouse subdivision by 7 a.m.; sometimes it's quarter of. (Even the lawn crew that has the contract for the subdivision doesn't come until later, regardless of whether it's hot out.)

Add to that them chitchatting (they are loud and have the bad kind of Southern twangs) and unloading all the equipment. Right outside my bedroom window (they mow the lawn of the townhouse 3 doors down and one diagonally across from mine, and some others within the subdivision).

I've asked my neighbors if they could ask the lawn crew if they could hit our street a little bit later -- even an hour later. The 2 neighbors moan that they don't want to annoy the lawn guys because they're inexpensive and they don't want to be dropped as a complaining customer.

So many people think everybody's on a 9-to-5 work schedule and that everybody's up early anyway to get ready for work and get out on the road early enough not to be caught in gridlock. I'm not. I work when those people are heading back home so they can enjoy their weekends (especially their 3- or 4-day holiday weekends) and their evenings having dinner with the spouse and kids.

I chose my career and the work hours that come along with it. But "consideration for others" -- especially when those people are your neighbors -- seems to be yet another thing on the extinction list.

Related note: When I come home from work, I would never use the part of the automatic car locker that beeps the horn -- that's me being considerate of everybody else, incl those who are not considerate of my needs. But I have seen other people come home later than me use it -- beepint it not once, but twice. And again "just to make sure" their car is all locked up good and tight. Some people have about as much common sense as pocket lint.

(And outside noise's effect is not a silly thing to complain about. When you don't get a good night's sleep, when you're waken up by something, it clearly affects your entire day and your work output. No wonder we have so many crazy drivers in this world.)

Old 05-28-2012, 02:16 PM

429 posts, read 954,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Sorry, but lawnmower noise in the morning to me, is a silly thing to complain about unless you are in a condo and someone is running the mower right under your bedroom window. Now, some teenager parked on my street at 2 am blaring the bass in their car and bouncing a basketball is something else. And don't get me started on the idiots still shooting off fireworks into the mid morning hours of the July 5th. I guess I just pick my battles.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:34 PM

588 posts, read 1,439,754 times
I have an electric mower, so it is quieter than gas-powered mowers, but I still try to be considerate with the times I choose to mow.

I generally cannot mow during the week, so the weekends are my time to get that grass cut. Even when the forecast is for unGodly hot temperatures, I try not to begin any earlier than 9:00 A.M., even though I am generally up no later than 6:00 A.M. I just think that's considerate.

I do arm my car alarm when I get home, even if it is super-late. But mine doesn't use the car horn; it emits a small "beep-beep" that is actually pretty quiet.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:36 PM

671 posts, read 1,119,580 times
Sunday and Monday were both code orange days. If he was using a gas mower, shame on him.
I did not know there were county limitations on mowing time-will have to remember that.
Our HOA crew starts way to early-but on weekdays. And it is the blower noise I hate worse then a lawnmower.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:01 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,730,109 times
Re. avoiding mowing during the heat of the day: Mow in the early evening! As I write this it's 8:00 PM, and I see sunlight outside--enough to mow by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia