Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 05:53 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times

Advertisements

Doesn't bother me as I'm an "early bird". Been up since 6AM; however, I've been listening to my neighbor that is 2 houses down cut his grass. I would never do that. I realize that most people sleep a bit later on the weekends. What's wrong with people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 06:10 AM

979 posts, read 1,775,839 times
Some people don't have a lot of options. Do you know his work schedule and other obligations? He may not be available to mow later in the day. I've had this problem - letter from HOA about us needing to mow our lawn, but we're only home and able at less-than-convenient lawn mowing times! And not everyone is in a position to be able to afford to pay someone to do it.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:12 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Doesn't bother me as I'm an "early bird". Been up since 6AM; however, I've been listening to my neighbor that is 2 houses down cut his grass. I would never do that. I realize that most people sleep a bit later on the weekends. What's wrong with people?
From someone who was awakened at 6am on a day off today. I'll trade you for my neighborhood which has very loud trash collectors at 3-5 am, even after several letters to city officials. Also includes punks blasting their music and over revving their cars at around 6.

Thankfully I can move out soon b/c my lease is up in July.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:06 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times
Christine, I feel for you. That's pretty obnoxious of them. The law here in Arl is no noisemaking above a certain decibel level before 10AM on weekends or 7AM weekdays. If they're worried about the heat, then they can wait till evening; the sun doesn't set nowadays till 8PM or so.

We use an electric mower, which is pretty quiet--but even so, I won't mow till after 10 AM on weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Some people don't have a lot of options. Do you know his work schedule and other obligations? He may not be available to mow later in the day. I've had this problem - letter from HOA about us needing to mow our lawn, but we're only home and able at less-than-convenient lawn mowing times! And not everyone is in a position to be able to afford to pay someone to do it.
If they don't have time to mow their law during legal hours and can't afford to pay someone to do it, they should've bought a condo. We both work full time, but it's not that hard to find time to do it. I have a couple of hours each evening (till 9PM) and then most of the weekend.

It's like anything else one takes responsibility for. E.g., if you get a dog and can't find time to walk him, you have to pay someone to do it.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:10 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
I agree. 7:30 is too early. I'd be pi$$ed. I wouldn't mow before 9.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:31 AM

111 posts, read 315,140 times
I think if that is the worst of your problems you are doing OK. The person might mow it that early because that is their only time because it gets hot out. Also trying make their lawn look good for the week/weekend/holiday

Old 05-27-2012, 09:32 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,654 times
It would not bother me, but I would question the effectiveness of cutting it so early. Most likely the grass is still wet and heavy...

Old 05-27-2012, 02:52 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Oh, let me say that it didn't bother me. I am up. But I know a lot of people who aren't. And some people, like the guy across the street from him that works nights and probably just turned in.

The guy is semi-retired. Part time real estate agent. Always home a lot. He's a fine person and, as far as I can remember, never has abused this. Just knowing what other's schedules can be, I would never do anything loud like that on a Sunday morning.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:02 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
When I was growing up, my dad used to teach us to wait to at least 9 am on the weekend for the same reasons why it bothers you. That is very inconsiderate of him to do that.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:37 PM

531 posts, read 1,428,781 times
It is very inconsiderate. Having an unusual schedule does not give one right to disturb others. It does not matter that one or two people will not be bothered. A lot of people will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia