Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,593 times

Advertisements

I accepted a position in DC and while thrilled to be moving to the area my wife and I are pretty overwhelmed at the menu of choices for school and housing. Originally from Seattle, we work in a non-profit organization and have been overseas for 9 of the past 12 years and so are struggling with the grandeur of the area. Next week my wife and are heading to DC to make a decision on where to live and could use some pro advice on what neightborhoods/areas to choose.

A few details about us and some of what is important:
- Single-income family with three kids ages 10, 7, 5.
- Looking for good schools, don't have to be the best. Like arts programs, honors programs, some diversity, small, K-6 if possible.
- Would love to eventually purchase but plan on renting year 1. Ideally we nail the neighborhood so we move homes but not schools in a year.
- With the range of possibilities we narrowed down to NoVa mainly because of the reputation of schools though are daunted at the housing costs.
- A realtor and some friends have helped us to think about Falls Church'ish area.
- Another friend lives in and loves Woodbridge. Slugging is intriguing.
- Will commute to DC (not in my own car) and would love to keep it to under an hour.

We would really appreciate your thoughts on Falls Church area, Woodbridge, and other areas that you would suggest for us, as well as areas to AVOID.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 05:13 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,672,567 times
The biggest question is: What's your budget?

Falls Church and Woodbridge are really worlds apart both in distance, cost, and overall general feel. I don't think you can even compare the two.

The rule in this area is LOCATION. Move as close to the job as you can afford. Most people in Woodbridge would probably love to be in Falls Church but they can't be because it is way more expensive. Can you afford Falls Church? Have you looked at rental listings? You need to do that before you start making comparisons in this area. With a one-income family, you will be needing to make a VERY good salary to be able to consider some of the places. Maybe you do, but I haven't seen too many people on this board in that position.

Please let us know what you are looking to spend in rent.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:40 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,727,038 times
What are your work hours? The distance covered in an hour long commute for a 9 am - 5 pm job is very different from the distance covered in an hour long commute for a 6 am to 2 pm job. Also, do you have a telecommute option for any of your work days?

Old 06-24-2012, 06:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,388 times
I'd recommend Fairfax/Burke area. Schools are great. You can take Metro Bus to get to DC or get a ride from Rolling Valley Park and Ride (Slugging Line) or from Springfield Park & Ride (another Slugging Line). Great Neighborhoods and people. I moved from CA 7 years ago with two young kids and decided to live here. I am glad that we made that decision.

FYI Robinson Secondary Ranked 88th in the nation by US News World Report and 5th in the State of Virginia
[url=http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/virginia/districts/fairfax-county-public-schools/james-w-robinson-jr-secondary-school-20455]James W. Robinson Jr. Secondary School in FAIRFAX, VA | Best High Schools | US News[/url]

Old 06-24-2012, 09:33 AM

531 posts, read 1,429,625 times
Depending on your budget, the following areas in NOVA have good schools and varying distance to DC. I will rank them based on the cost (from high to low) and distance from DC (from short to long): Mclean (Fairfax County), Vienna (Fairfax County), Oakon (Fairfax County), Fairfax (Fairfax County), Burke (Fairfax County), Ashburn (Loudoun county).

Woodbridge is in Prince Williams County. It is pretty far away from DC and the school system is not as good as those in Fairfax or Loudoun. But the housing cost is a lot lower.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,593 times
Thanks all for your tips. A bit more detail on our situation:

- Budget for rent $2500, purchase around $400K. This definitely prices us out of some real close places.
- Work hours somewhat flexible, I don't necessarily have to be 9-5. I can telecommute 1 day per week.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,096,566 times
I'd also look at renting an older SFH in the Town of Vienna, which you can do for under $2500/month. Not far from Vienna Metro, nice community spirit, and you'd be in the Madison HS pyramid. If you save over a few years, you could buy in that area, though $400K wouldn't be enough now.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:04 AM

12 posts, read 24,025 times
I currently rent a SFH in Burke for $2500. It is over 2000sf, good schools. I drive to Alexandria, but there are a lot of options. Pentagon bus stops right up the street (then metrorail from there to wherever), VRE off of Roberts road...

Love the neighborhood, love the schools.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,518,280 times
Burke might end up being your best bet.

Fairfax City might also be an option, there's a CUE bus that takes you to the Metro.

Can a SFH in Reston be rented for under $2500?

I'd even look as far out as Fredericksburg and Leesburg given your hours and one-day telecommuting ability.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 AM

214 posts, read 488,231 times
I think their budget is a little low for a SFH in Reston.

I would look at Burke, West Springfield area, Kingstowne and Potomac Falls/Cascades (and plan on taking the Loudoun County commuter bus in to the city).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia