Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:04 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,731,374 times

Advertisements

8 minutes if there is no one in front of me stopped at the light on the right hand turns!
15 minutes if I head out 10 minutes before the school starts!
Kingstowne to HECSA on Telegraph
Car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 06:32 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,273,309 times
I would have expected to see more responses from telecommuters. This is apparently a more popular practice elsewhere in the country.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:45 AM

588 posts, read 1,440,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slownumbers View Post
Poll questions:

1) How long is your daily commute?
2) Where are you commuting to/from?
3) What is your mode of transportation (car, bus, metro, biking, walking, a combination, etc.)?

I am answering for my "normal" schedule. I do occasionally have to go to other sites, which changes my commute time, but my "normal" commute is:

If driving- 5 minutes
If walking- 12-15 minutes (depending on how long I get "stuck" at crosswalks trying to cross the street while most people illegally fly past me)

Old 07-08-2012, 07:00 AM

160 posts, read 279,695 times
I telecommute 1 day/week, which helps make the 65 minute car + metro commute the other days more tolerable.

I'm actually surprised by the few responses from commuters to DC so far!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,731,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
8 minutes if there is no one in front of me stopped at the light on the right hand turns!
15 minutes if I head out 10 minutes before the school starts!
Kingstowne to HECSA on Telegraph
Car
I telecommute when needed. Did it all of last week. Have to remember to actually get dressed before I head to work tomorrow!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:47 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,320,778 times
Cava, telecommuting for greater than 8 hours a week (more than flextime telecommuters) is still below 10% of employees. A lot of professions require certain levels of coordination, discussion, meetings that make it difficult to telecommute. In this region with all of its IT consultants (the most apt to telecommuting) we still remain below 10% for telecommuting based on the statistics on City-data (gotta love that stat section).

More power too ya if you can though, another person off the roads while still providing a tax base. I am all for it.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,104,886 times
Usually 30-40 minutes if I walk. But I sometimes swing out of my way to look at the kittens in the window of the Animal Care Center, and if they're playful add another 10 minutes. Just a few minutes if I drive. Just a few seconds if I work from home, which seems to be happening more and more.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:15 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,273,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Cava, telecommuting for greater than 8 hours a week (more than flextime telecommuters) is still below 10% of employees. A lot of professions require certain levels of coordination, discussion, meetings that make it difficult to telecommute. In this region with all of its IT consultants (the most apt to telecommuting) we still remain below 10% for telecommuting based on the statistics on City-data (gotta love that stat section).

More power too ya if you can though, another person off the roads while still providing a tax base. I am all for it.
I'm curious how many think their jobs really require in person attendance and if given the opportunity couldn't make things work remotely. There does seem to be management inertia perpetuating it. The government pays lip service but does little to encourage it. In fact they're probably the main reason for the low percentage in this area. Stuck in traffic? Thank Uncle Sam.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 07-08-2012 at 08:25 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 08:39 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,320,778 times
Well from what I have noticed as far as government jobs

They are all for it, except they want you there for meetings and onsite issues... which happen around 12 or 1 oclock almost everyday... therefore making telecommuting not possible for many people (atleast this is my girlfriends experiences).

I definitely think a majority of people would say they COULD work from home a lot more than 8 hours a week, but obviously their companies are thinking otherwise. Hopefully facetime style communications will help, but I know in my field with sensitive documents that we can't show them in anyway on non-secure networks. The government should be working harder towards getting a closed facetime/skype like system in place along with their multiple file transfer secure networks. That would make the meeting issues a lot less of a problem.

PS kudos to the OP I am gonna use some of this data for some of my own articles (though admittedly any poll on a website leans in unusual ways at times and might not be indicative of the general populous)

Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,615,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
It takes about 17-20 min to get to the hospital.... and then I have to search/fight for a parking space.
I hear you about having to search/fight for a parking space at Georgetown University Hospital. My son has had 4 surgeries there and multiple followup visits. I dread finding a parking space every time we go. I can't imaging having to park there for work! It's like pulling teeth to get the garage valets to help you get a spot. Not to mention the fender benders I've seen happen while I am driving thru the parking garages. Scary place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia