Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,353 times

Advertisements

Okay here are the basics:

1) I work in springfield, VA, wife works in Centreville, VA. Both in our late 20's
2) Looking to buy, preference is Single family home, price range 250-350k. Open to townhomes, but nervous about older TH's from an investment standpoint.
3) No Kids and none in the near future
4) flexible work hours, and want commute <45 mins for both of us
5) Would prefer to not be in super rural area, near restaurants and shopping centers is a plus.

Basically we have some flexibility on location looking for do's and don't for the areas of manassas, centreville, herndon, burke, fairfax, chantilly and maybe gainesville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 02:24 PM

162 posts, read 359,324 times
Centreville.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:37 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,172,686 times
I think Manassas is doable, and you may even find some SFH's in that price range. Not as likely in Fairfax County. However, I think as a young childless couple, you'd rather be closer in than further out. I think a condo or TH is a better bet in your price range.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:46 PM

979 posts, read 1,777,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettster55 View Post
Basically we have some flexibility on location looking for do's and don't for the areas of manassas, centreville, herndon, burke, fairfax, chantilly and maybe gainesville.
I'm thinking Gainesville to Springfield would suck as a commute. Manassas to Springfield might not even be much better. If you can afford it, I'd go with Burke or Fairfax, but then you're looking at pricier homes. What you're looking for in a home will also make a difference. When we were house-hunting a few months ago (closed on our current house in March), we were looking at up to about $325k with 3+ bedrooms, space for an office (either a den/office, basement, or 4th bedroom), decent back yard (not directly facing the back of someone else's house), and no major work needed in money pits like kitchens and bathrooms. We ended up in Sterling.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:52 PM

100 posts, read 162,565 times
maybe a condo or townhouse in one of the newer developments in fairfax? Fairfax corner?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:22 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,491,822 times
The whole Fair Lakes area west of Fairfax City would be a good choice. Fairfax County Parkway is a straight shot into Springfield, while Centreville is a hop, skip, and a jump out 66-West in the morning what with all the traffic headed east. It's almost all on the new side out there. Some of it will go for more than that $350K upper limit, but some will not. Lots of green space, plus lots of amenities. Nice place to be...

Old 07-10-2012, 06:00 AM

Thanks for all the helpful posts. To add more detail, yes I would take 7100 or 286 whatever it is these days to work. I generally leave for work at 6am so not sure if 66 is backed up then or not. I agree gainesville would be a hike to springfield. I didn't know manassas was half FFX county and PW. Is there a difference between centreville south of 66 vs north?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,491,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettster55 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful posts. To add more detail, yes I would take 7100 or 286 whatever it is these days to work. I generally leave for work at 6am so not sure if 66 is backed up then or not.
7100/286 toward Springfield at 6:00 am should be easy. I used to do it to get down there by 8:00, and it was easy enough at that hour. Westbound I-66 toward Centreville is typically at a speed limit pace all morning. That said, it has the proven capacity to turn into a complete mess anywhere at any hour of any day.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
7100/286 toward Springfield at 6:00 am should be easy. I used to do it to get down there by 8:00, and it was easy enough at that hour. Westbound I-66 toward Centreville is typically at a speed limit pace all morning. That said, it has the proven capacity to turn into a complete mess anywhere at any hour of any day.
Did you mean 66 east bound in the morning?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 AM

144 posts, read 333,789 times
I commute from Fair Oaks to Springfield currently. It takes me about 30-40 minutes in the morning and about 20-30 minutes in the evening.

One of my coworkers lives in Haymarket and her commute is about 45 mins to an hour.

Another coworker lives in Stafford and her commute is about 45 mins to an hour (leaves later in the morning).

My husband and I are also in the same boat and wish to buy something. In Fairfax, the only thing in that price range is condos and some townhouses. Maybe get lucky finding a short sale or a foreclosure though. We are actually going to move to Fredericksburg at the end of the year as you can get a pretty large newer home there for about 350k. The VRE is also right behind my office, so I'm just going to take the train.

If up to an hour commute is worth it to you for the money, I would opt for farther out. If you're looking for about 30 minutes or less than the options become less exansive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia