Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 PM

5 posts, read 9,021 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was writing to inquire as to if anyone has any experience (be it good or bad) regarding living in Woodbridge. I am currently torn between buying a home here or in Manassas (my work location is in Manassas).

It seems I can get slightly better deals in Woodbridge, and single family homes seem to be more plentiful which is what I am partial too. Any comments on the commute? I've also heard Woodbridge is rather trashy in many areas - feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 04:29 PM

722 posts, read 1,922,494 times
What part of Manassas is your work in? Have you considered Gainesville or Bristow?

Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jross98 View Post
Hello,

I was writing to inquire as to if anyone has any experience (be it good or bad) regarding living in Woodbridge. I am currently torn between buying a home here or in Manassas (my work location is in Manassas).

It seems I can get slightly better deals in Woodbridge, and single family homes seem to be more plentiful which is what I am partial too. Any comments on the commute? I've also heard Woodbridge is rather trashy in many areas - feedback?
And Manassas doesn't have trashy areas? C'mon. I think they are probably quite *tied* in the dueling trashy areas contest. Both towns have their low-income, run down, blighted areas.

Depending on where you live in Woodbridge and where you work in Manassas, you could have anywhere from a 20-40 minute commute (again, depends on point A to point B).

If you don't have to consider school systems, I would opt for the least commute I could find. Now, the commute from Woodbridge isn't bad so if you find housing that seems a lot more pleasant or fits your needs, that might push me the other way.

It might help if you post some of the Woodbridge housing you are considering and we can tell you if it is in a trashy area or not.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 PM

5 posts, read 9,021 times
I work around the Manassas Hospital. While I've entertained the idea of Bristow or Gainsville and even looked at a few homes there, the only thing in my price range currently would be a town home which I really have no interest in buying (250k max).

There is also the possibility that my job could move to Fairfax or the DC area in the future.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
I work around the Manassas Hospital. While I've entertained the idea of Bristow or Gainsville and even looked at a few homes there, the only thing in my price range currently would be a town home which I really have no interest in buying (250k max).

There is also the possibility that my job could move to Fairfax or the DC area in the future.

I don't think you are going to find a nice single family home in Woodbridge for $250K and under. If you do find one, I think that's going to put you in the areas of Woodbridge that you won't like. To get in a decent Woodbridge area, for a SFH, I think you need to look at closer to $300K and up.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:49 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:

There are SOME townhomes in your price range in Bristow, but most of your selection is going to be in parts of Manassas and Woodbridge and maybe even Manassas Park. The best you could do in those areas is afford a good portion in Lake Ridge (Woodbridge), some parts of Manassas off of Sudley Manor (depends on what kind of neighborhood you are looking for) and Manassas Park (try the eastern part of Manassas Park, east of 28 and Euclid Avenue). If you simply can't see yourself in anything other than house, then you won't have much luck, at least in a decent area like ChristineinVA mentioned.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
There are rural homes between woodbridge and manassas (davis ford) where you could find a home for that price but it woot be in a neighborhood. Most people try living closer to 95 and 66 and that helps keeps the prices slightly lower.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Like Christine mentioned, there are good and bad areas of each Woodbridge and Manassas. It all depends on the neighborhood you're looking. So if there are particular areas you're looking we could give you a better idea.

I live in Lake Ridge and commute to the Manassas area and it takes me about 30 minutes. The commute is a piece of cake and no traffic at all. Personally if your job moves to DC, I think the commute from the Woodbridge area is better. I95/HOV move much better than I66. There are a ton of commuter lots to slug/commuter bus from and multiple VRE stations in the Woodbridge area.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:46 PM

57 posts, read 153,672 times
My husband and I were looking in the Manassas and Woodbridge areas in the same price range ($250k and under). While we found a few decent homes, the neighborhoods were sketchy enough to make me nervous. Then we heard about Lake Ridge and discovered it's a much more desirable place, more well-kept and we found several nice townhomes in the area...I have seen a few listings here and there for homes as well.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:33 PM

979 posts, read 1,774,985 times
I own a townhouse in Lake Ridge and used to live in an apartment in Manassas. When I lived in Lake Ridge, I had a doctor near the hospital in Manassas, and it wasn't that bad of a drive. That said, my husband and I were looking for a SFH last year and did look in Lake Ridge, and the only things we found in that price range (which was also ours, as I refused to pay $300k+ for a home in PW county since it wouldn't make our work commutes any better) needed a LOT of work, and not just cosmetics. Personally, I'd prefer a nice townhouse over a dilapidated SFH, but I suppose it also depends on how handy you are and how dirty you're willing to get your hands (my husband and I are NOT the DIY types!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia