Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:51 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,780 times

Advertisements

Seems to me that people walking by just thought he was drunk or homeless or something and didn't realize he had been hit. Whenever I have seen someone injured in a car accident in NoVa, so many people have pulled over to help that after a few minutes there actually wasn't any room for anyone else to pull over. I think people will stop to help if they know someone has been injured, but will keep walking and not look back if they think they are looking at a homeless person or someone sleeping or passed out on the street possibly for reasons related to drugs or alchohol. Many years ago I was walking home from a bus stop when I suffered a sudden medical problem and collapsed on the sidewalk. I was wearing my work clothes - suit, heels, etc. - but people just stepped around me or crossed the street to avoid me. I realized they weren't even looking at me closely enough to see I was in pain - they just saw person on the ground and thought homeless or drunk and looked away too quickly to think anything else. It was disheartening, but if you're ever made the mistake of trying to help someone who turned out to be drunk, on drugs, or crazy, then you learn your lesson about just walking away quickly. I'm sorry to say I would have stayed away too - but then called 911 from a distance at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
This is media sensationalism at its finest. Can you really tell from that video what was going on in this situation? Perhaps someone was telling people the police and EMS had been called and to move along? Could they tell the guy was actually dead/dying and not just passed out?

I think some facts need to be beared out here before we act like these are all awful human beings who just ignored a dying guy. And besides, if he already was dead, what could they have done exactly?
I agree. This really wasn't as clear as they made it seem. How did we know that police/paramedics weren't already there when those guys were getting on the bus? And how can we assume they would be witnesses, maybe they weren't around when the actual incident happened.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:12 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,172,312 times
I know I have checked on people who appeared to be passed out in their cars in parking lots before. We're not all heartless people - I think that if someone sees an accident or sees someone collapse (so sorry that happened to you marie - glad it turned out OK), they will help. But I would be wary of approaching someone who appears homeless - had enough run ins with the insane ones to stay away, even though I am a do gooder by nature and would happily help at a shelter or give to food banks or whatever.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:49 AM

617 posts, read 1,356,796 times
Like others have said, context matters. On my way to work downtown, I frequently pass people who are sleeping on benches, under a blanket or not. If someone happened to be filming them, I'd look heartless as I pass by, but I'm so used to seeing them there that the possibility of them being deceased doesn't really register.

I can't see the video at work, but I'd expect some of them people in the video assumed the person was passed out, drunk, whatever. Unless they have a visible, noticeable injury, it doesn't always register. I'm certainly not going to judge anyone that was filmed.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 AM

947 posts, read 1,402,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Northern Virginians. And yes, Northern Virginians, collectively, are very heartless, self-absorbed people.
Bit of a sweeping generalization there, don't you think? Would you include in that assessment the eight-year old boy in Springfield recently profiled in the Post for setting up a lemonade stand to help his neighbor whose house was damaged in the wind storm?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:17 AM

513 posts, read 962,126 times
I am heartless, conceited, arrogants, uncaring, self absored NOVA resident. Say it loud, Say it Proud.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Northern Virginians. And yes, Northern Virginians, collectively, are very heartless, self-absorbed people.
There's already many Nova bashing threads, no need for another. But really this isn't a Nova-specific thing. In any busy metro area it's going to be like this. I've watched those hidden camera shows before like Dateline does sometimes, in one they had a child on the sidewalk crying as if she was lost and wanted to see people's reactions. This was in NYC. Many people just walked past. It is disheartening to see but it's just the way many people are, especially in busy metro areas. There was that story earlier this year about the toddler in China who was hit by a car in an alley and was just lying there and many people just walked by. Now that is heartless

Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM

513 posts, read 962,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
There's already many Nova bashing threads, no need for another. But really this isn't a Nova-specific thing. In any busy metro area it's going to be like this. I've watched those hidden camera shows before like Dateline does sometimes, in one they had a child on the sidewalk crying as if she was lost and wanted to see people's reactions. This was in NYC. Many people just walked past. It is disheartening to see but it's just the way many people are, especially in busy metro areas. There was that story earlier this year about the toddler in China who was hit by a car in an alley and was just lying there and many people just walked by. Now that is heartless

I work in Shanghai several times a year. Honestly, most people in Wash DC area would help someone if they needed it. Someone might be cautious with homeless or those dirty Occupy hippies.

China they step over the dead in the street.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
Bit of a sweeping generalization there, don't you think? Would you include in that assessment the eight-year old boy in Springfield recently profiled in the Post for setting up a lemonade stand to help his neighbor whose house was damaged in the wind storm?
I made it blatently clear I was generalizing. Taking an average of the people in the region, we are more heartless and self-absorbed than other peoples in other areas of the US. My opinion of course.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:42 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
This reminds me:

Kanye West - Heartless - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia