Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:53 PM

671 posts, read 1,120,099 times

Advertisements

If you picked someone up at the airport don't you meet the HOV-2 on 66 rule by default.

Interesting point about picking up air freight packages, that would seem to fit the exceptions.

Do you buy gas every day before you slip into the HOV or was that just dumb luck?

Last edited by Lemming95; 07-20-2012 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 04:26 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,677,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaSausages View Post
Not necessarily. A lot of boarding passes can be done via Smartphone. Once I've landed I delete the email.

It seems to me that if you knew that you were going to use the HOV after a flight from Dulles and you knew of the restrictions, you'd hang on to your proof of flight until you got off the road unticketed. Most people know they are going to use these restricted roads and would hang on to some proof until the trip was done.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:47 PM

231 posts, read 456,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
It seems to me that if you knew that you were going to use the HOV after a flight from Dulles and you knew of the restrictions, you'd hang on to your proof of flight until you got off the road unticketed. Most people know they are going to use these restricted roads and would hang on to some proof until the trip was done.
What if you were in town for business and didn't know you needed the proof?

Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,099,919 times
Quote:
Then you'd be in a rental...so is that proof?

Old 07-20-2012, 05:33 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,677,230 times
Quote:

Then you'd be out of luck I suppose. Most people I know, especially on business, are going to have some sort of receipt showing they were flying that particular day. I think it would be rare, but certainly it happens, that no one has a record of their flight. You could use that in court if you didn't have the boarding pass on your person at the time you were pulled over.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:44 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,847,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
NO! Read the post from Christine!

Motorists traveling to and from Dulles International Airport to go to the airport to catch a flight or to pick someone up at the airport are permitted to use I-66 inside the Beltway (I-495) during HOV hours. Motorists traveling to or from Dulles International Airport are not exempt from HOV restrictions on I-66 outside the Beltway (I-495). You are not permitted to use I-66 inside the beltway during HOV hours if you are going to the airport to eat, get coffee, get gas or any other reason other than boarding a plane or picking someone up at the airport
You tell me to read the post I quoted? I say this rule needs to be fixed further to clarify whether taking someone to the airport qualifies or not. Why the heck would it not count? That's the purpose of the whole exception, to pick up and drop off passengers at the airport. Are you sure that dropping them off is not intended to be part of the "picking them up" language? What makes you so sure?

Old 07-20-2012, 05:50 PM

373 posts, read 871,045 times
Quote:
Then you probably wouldn't know you could use the HOV lanes inside the beltway.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:51 PM

15,150 posts, read 27,826,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You tell me to read the post I quoted? I say this rule needs to be fixed further to clarify whether taking someone to the airport qualifies or not. Why the heck would it not count? That's the purpose of the whole exception, to pick up and drop off passengers at the airport. Are you sure that dropping them off is not intended to be part of the "picking them up" language? What makes you so sure?
Well, I can read and comprehend English: it states
"any other reason other than boarding a plane or picking someone up"

Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 PM

231 posts, read 456,217 times
Quote:
Again, this runs contrary to the phrase "airport business". Airport business can mean a lot of things as airports function in a number of ways - other than the deposit and retrieval of human passengers.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:46 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,847,172 times
Quote:
That's part of what needs clarifying. I already got what you're saying long before you posted it. I think limiting it only to picking up passengers is silly. Is there some hidden reason for the limitation that nobody knows? If it does not include dropping them off then it should be clearly explained in the rule by adding a phrase to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia