Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:23 AM

373 posts, read 870,684 times

Advertisements

Just came home and my door had an orange flyer on it saying Verizon was going to begin installation of fiber optic cable in my community within the next few says. Does anyone remember how long it took for them from the time they recieved the word they were getting fios in their neighborhood until it was actually available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 AM

206 posts, read 432,675 times
Maybe a few months? It's been a long time, so I'm not 100% sure. It was a bit different for me anyway, living in an apartment. First they laid the cable in the neighborhood, then they put it in all of the apartments, and then you had to schedule with Verizon for a full installation inside your unit.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:18 PM

671 posts, read 1,119,580 times
If ONE MORE Fios person knocks on my door today I'm going to turn the hose on them.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:14 PM

231 posts, read 455,988 times
Be sure to take photos of your lawn, driveway, and landscaping. The FiOS subcontractors will come in and rip stuff to pieces and then replace it with dirt. Driveways - torn up; plant beds - torn up; manicured lawns - torn up.

Etc.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:38 AM

127 posts, read 355,988 times
Good tip, ViennaSausages!
In our neighborhood, it took about 1 year. The first time the contractors who were supposed to run the cables dug in the wrong places. Apparently that company got replaced (after leaving quite a mess). About 6 months later another company showed up and ripped up the lawns in the neighborhood. Filling the holes with cheap grass that at first grows like crazy and then dies. They kept coming and going for months...
Also, make sure to mark your irrigation system very well and, if possible, tell them in person where it runs. We did both and they still managed to cut it repeatedly.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:08 PM

373 posts, read 870,684 times
Thanks everyone for the replies. So it sounds like if I am lucky a couple months, if not, a year plus. Kind of what I was expecting, but I was hoping someone would say in a week .

Old 07-26-2012, 05:04 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,614,422 times
For the record, the FIOS subcontractors came thru my yard about 10 days ago. We were home while they worked in our yard, so I know first hand what they do and don't do. The dirt they use to fill the holes they dig is the dirt that came out of the hole. There is NO telling what is under your sod now, so don't blame them for what goes back in the hole. They did cut the sod out which is expected. However it's not their job to keep your sod watered while they do their work. We asked them nicely if we could move the sod so we could keep it in the shade and soaked it with water. When it came time for them to do repair work to the yard, we said we'd do it since I didn't want their grass seed. So one of the workers helped hubby put the sod back in. He helped cut it, stamp it down and thrown nice dirt under and around the sod. I didn't expect them to help with that. I did put down my own grass seed that night. In a week or two you won't be able to tell Verizon has been in my yard. However, those who don't water the sod or grass seed the subcontractors put down will have dead grass. Whose fault is that?

I have to laugh at those who constantly complain in my neighborhood about how Comcast was the only option other than satellite. Now that Verizon is coming to the neighborhood, people are complaining about that too. People are just never happy.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:02 PM

206 posts, read 432,675 times
I think ViennaSausages must work for Comcrap or something. Personally, I can't wait to move out of Alexandria and back to a county/city that has options. I've had enough of being robbed blind every month for substandard service.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:55 PM

231 posts, read 455,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrekyos View Post
I think ViennaSausages must work for Comcrap or something. Personally, I can't wait to move out of Alexandria and back to a county/city that has options. I've had enough of being robbed blind every month for substandard service.
Erm. No. Don't work for any telecom. But thanks for making youself look silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia