Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:59 PM

254 posts, read 423,198 times

Advertisements

I am a member of LA Fitness but I saw there were some other gyms closer.

Anyone have recommendations and monthly rates?

I just did a quick search on Gold's Gym and they are charging $59.99/month now? What the??? I pay less than half of this and my current gym has a pool, basketball court, and racquetball courts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 06:06 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
I am a member of LA Fitness but I saw there were some other gyms closer.

Anyone have recommendations and monthly rates?

I just did a quick search on Gold's Gym and they are charging $59.99/month now? What the??? I pay less than half of this and my current gym has a pool, basketball court, and racquetball courts.
Closer to what? Alexandria is a pretty big area, with potentially killer travel times depending on where your work is, home is, gym is.

Aren't you going to work on Belvoir? You will have access to the gyms on post. My husband does that every day, I go to the free ones in Kingstowne, which I find to be pretty decent.

I don't know of any gyms with pools here. Lee Rec does have a decent gym as well as a pool and you can get different kinds of memeberships there. The Fairfax County Rec centers are very good and very popular alternative to gyms.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Closer to what? Alexandria is a pretty big area, with potentially killer travel times depending on where your work is, home is, gym is.

Aren't you going to work on Belvoir? You will have access to the gyms on post. My husband does that every day, I go to the free ones in Kingstowne, which I find to be pretty decent.

I don't know of any gyms with pools here. Lee Rec does have a decent gym as well as a pool and you can get different kinds of memeberships there. The Fairfax County Rec centers are very good and very popular alternative to gyms.
I saw Belvoir has 2 gyms on base but saw their hours, but also saw they were free

I guess I am still a noob and trying to have all my bases covered (pun).

I plan to live within 2 miles of the base and I saw there are LA Fitness's around the area with one in Woodbridge about 20 min away which isn't bad since it takes me about 30 min to get to the one here. If the gyms on base are decent I can go to them during the week and then on weekend go to LA Fitness. I don't need much in the way of a gym:

-decent people
-squat rack
-plenty of barbells
-pull up bars
-maybe a treadmill

I'm in the gym to build muscle, not try to pick up girls and watch TV and order smoothies lol. I will keep this info in mind though when I visit next week.

I will use this and my other thread as well as other info and drive around the city all week. See where the traffic is, see what goes on at night, etc. Hopefully see where I'm supposed to work also

Old 08-10-2012, 09:15 AM

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but are you talking the LA Fitness center's in WB off the PW Parkway. No way is that 20 minutes..well maybe on a Saturday, if you get lucky. I live right outside Belvoir, and head down that way often..15 miles is not measured here in miles alone - you have to factor in traffic.. traffic...traffic....plus rain, sun, and construction amoung a few things that seemed to slow it all down here....and forget heading south on holiday weekend..yuck!

I'm saying this because if you are only able to make it down there on the weekends, are you paying for a full membership or just per visit? If so that is an expense you can wrap into a nicer apt.

And with your requirements, you might find that any apt you get might have a gym. Kingstowne Apts have access to both fitness centers and pools.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but are you talking the LA Fitness center's in WB off the PW Parkway. No way is that 20 minutes..well maybe on a Saturday, if you get lucky. I live right outside Belvoir, and head down that way often..15 miles is not measured here in miles alone - you have to factor in traffic.. traffic...traffic....plus rain, sun, and construction amoung a few things that seemed to slow it all down here....and forget heading south on holiday weekend..yuck!

I'm saying this because if you are only able to make it down there on the weekends, are you paying for a full membership or just per visit? If so that is an expense you can wrap into a nicer apt.

And with your requirements, you might find that any apt you get might have a gym. Kingstowne Apts have access to both fitness centers and pools.
I guess I will have to see next week. Yeah I mean the LA Fitness in Woodbridge. It is supposed to be big and nice and I Google mapped it last night and it said something like 13 miles/20 minutes. I will have to check the gyms on base. I wish the ones on base were open at longer hours. I saw they close at like 8pm or something. I usually go to the gym 9-11pm. But maybe that 'free' benefit will have me stay and just go right after work or something.

I pay less than $20 to LA Fitness monthly right now. That is why I'm surprised by the prices in the Ft Belvoir/Alexandria area.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:29 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,319 times
You aren't going to do any better than the less than $20 a month at LA Fitness. You should be able to get Gold's Gym / Xsport for $35 a month with some haggling. The only way you'll get less than that is if you prepay for like a year or even 2-3. If you know you'll be in the area for a while and don't like LA fitness it might not be a bad idea. Never pay any sort of initiation fee.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:08 AM

208 posts, read 819,664 times
Quote:
15 miles is not measured here in miles alone - you have to factor in traffic.. traffic...traffic....plus rain, sun, and construction amoung a few things that seemed to slow it all down here....
You need to write hallmark cards, I love this statement.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
You need to write hallmark cards, I love this statement.
Including the typo's?....and I'm an editor...

Old 08-10-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
I guess I will have to see next week. Yeah I mean the LA Fitness in Woodbridge. It is supposed to be big and nice and I Google mapped it last night and it said something like 13 miles/20 minutes. I will have to check the gyms on base. I wish the ones on base were open at longer hours. I saw they close at like 8pm or something. I usually go to the gym 9-11pm. But maybe that 'free' benefit will have me stay and just go right after work or something.

I pay less than $20 to LA Fitness monthly right now. That is why I'm surprised by the prices in the Ft Belvoir/Alexandria area.
You might want to look at Anytime Fitness, in Manchester Lakes Shopping center just north of the base. not sure of the prices though. But as others have said I don't think you will find anything as cheap as what you are paying.

I don't Kingstowne gyms are open that late. Belvoir gyms are 5-9 on week days and 9-5 on weekends.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 AM

513 posts, read 961,639 times
Less then 20 a moth at a Health club? What City and what decade are we talking about?

Sport and Health is 79 a month, LA Boxing is 55 a month. Even the Gold Gyms in DC are over 40 a month for full time use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia