Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:11 PM

160 posts, read 279,901 times

Advertisements

You may want to check out the Shirlington/Fairlington/Parkfairfax areas of S. Arlington. It isn't close to metro, but there are plenty of buses to Pentagon. They go straight up HOV lanes on 395. 15-20 minute commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 07:02 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,735,672 times
One thing I would do is verify that you will actually be at the Pentagon, not one of their alternate locations. Some of them still put Pentagon on your orders, but you could be in Rosslyn, Crystal City or Alexandria. I think they are putting Mark Center on them, but some of the office are still located elsewhere, with plans for Mark Center. Worth double checking.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:13 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,298,235 times
Why not in DC? I'm sure you can find a decent 2BR around Capitol Hill for $2K within an easy walk of Union Station Metro. You'd just need to switch to the yellow line at Gallery Place. That's gotten to be a pretty cool area to live.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:08 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,789,404 times
Pentagon employees have been doing fine in Springfield for decades. It is more family oriented, but they are able to slug/HOV/carpool, etc., and you could get a decent TH for that kind of money. Cardinal Forest has some smaller properties, and would be younger.

BTW, do you even care about public schools?

Old 08-19-2012, 02:45 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,521,633 times
If you have kids the schools in Springfield are generally better than the schools in South ARlington, at least with regard to test scores. It all depends on how comfortable you are with higher-poverty schools.

+1 to folks who wanted you to double-check if the posting is actually @ the Pentagon. You'll want an exact work location.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 PM

798 posts, read 2,731,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
One thing I would do is verify that you will actually be at the Pentagon, not one of their alternate locations. Some of them still put Pentagon on your orders, but you could be in Rosslyn, Crystal City or Alexandria. I think they are putting Mark Center on them, but some of the office are still located elsewhere, with plans for Mark Center. Worth double checking.
This is very important.. The "Pentagon" has lots of work locations outside of the Pentagon proper and you may be in any number of locations. I would suggest you ask where excatly you will be working and, is there a plan in the near future to move the location.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:44 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,740,453 times
Evidently, three years in an uber-polite society did not train the OP to say "arigato." (I know there's a time delay, but come on--four days and no thanks yet for all these helpful replies? Lame.)

Old 09-10-2012, 04:41 AM

8 posts, read 7,494 times
Arigoto gazimus;

Old 09-10-2012, 04:45 AM

I am new to this whole blog thing, so I don't know how it works. I do not or will not have children with me, so that is not an issue. Sounds like many good suggestions, DC, columbia pike, shirlington, fairfax.
I will be working in the pentagon for engineering support. It would be nice to be close, but saving money/cost is a consideration, so what paper or site would give me the broadest collection of offers on housing?

Old 09-10-2012, 04:48 AM

i will be relocating to the pentagon. I need to find a nice apartment on the metro line, hopefully for around 2,000 month for 2 bedrooms. also does the pentagon issue metro tickets to employee to eliminate driving to and from and from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia