Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 17,161 times

Advertisements

I live in Reston/Herndon area and will be commuting to DC (K street and 14 NW) this July. What is the quickest public transportation to take?
I know there is a bus from Herndon to L'enfant. I heard there's a bus from Reston to 14th street but can't find it!
Is the metro a better option? Or maybe just drive there?
My commute will be about 6:30 in the morning and 3 pm.
Any help/suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:49 PM

219 posts, read 472,407 times
Traffic is at its lightest, which is not to say it is light, during the summer months and you are driving at relatively off times, so that might work out.

I used to catch the bus from Herndon Monroe to the metro to commute down to Dupont Circle. Later I did the same from Wiehle. It sounds like your location is closer to the Herndon Monroe option. With your hours you will probably always find a seat on the bus & metro. I don't know about direct bus options - have you checked the Fairfax Connector website?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:41 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,767 times
If you're planning to drive via I-66 to Washington, you may already know that it's HOV-only (two persons) on the stretch inside the Beltway eastbound from 6:30 to 9:00 a.m. and westbound from 4:00 to 6:30 p.m. Even if you enter I-66 before those HOV periods begin, you have to be off I-66 before the restrictions go into effect or you risk being fined.

For public transportation, I'd suggest you drive to either the Herndon-Monroe or Wiehle park and ride and take the Fairfax Connector from there to West Falls Church. I'd estimate 20 minutes for the bus ride and 25 minutes for the Orange Line from West Falls to McPherson Square. I am not aware of any bus that goes directly from Reston to downtown Washington. Metro's 5A bus does stop at the Herndon-Monroe park & ride, but its only stop in DC is at L'Enfant Plaza -- and the fare is nearly doubling to $6.00 each way as of June 27th.

All in all, I think the Fairfax Connector/Metro option would be your best bet.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 17,161 times
I've tried the 5A but like you mentioned, it's getting pretty expensive and it stops at L'Enfant plaza. I was hoping to find out a bit more about the bus that goes to 14th street...
I might have to take a combo of bus and metro like you said.

Thanks

Old 08-16-2012, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,188 times
Default Bus commute from Herndon to DC

I am looking for a bus or carpool commute from Herndon, VA to around Union Station in Washington, DC. Any suggetsions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia