Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fill in the blank: I’ve seen more _________ yard signs in my NoVa neighborhood.
Obama 18 35.29%
Romney 33 64.71%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,289,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Democrats generally tend to do better than Republicans in this regard (although "liberals" tend to do worse than "conservatives"). If you lay down party agendas of Ds and Rs without the labels, Rs tend to do very well in a survey, confirming tha the country is still fairly center-right. Attach the party labels and the numbers change. Rs often have a toxic image and there is a variety of reasons for that, much of it having to do with tone.
Laying off the strident gun, abortion, and illegal immigration talk would be a good start, particularly with the mainstream voters here in NoVA. Stick to economic and foreign policy issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 08:02 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,174,105 times
OK, what survey data without party labels are you referring to? Share, please.

Is it like data that shows that without labels, people actually support quite a bit of what is contained in the Affordable Care Act?

Old 11-11-2012, 11:02 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,153,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Laying off the strident gun, abortion, and illegal immigration talk would be a good start, particularly with the mainstream voters here in NoVA. Stick to economic and foreign policy issues.
Yes, but talks about individual freedom, protecting the innocent and supporting orderly, legal immigration seem to do well with center-right voters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
OK, what survey data without party labels are you referring to? Share, please.
I can't find it on the internet, but there was a series of surveys done some years ago that tested the respective party platforms with and without the party labels.
Quote:
Is it like data that shows that without labels, people actually support quite a bit of what is contained in the Affordable Care Act?
I hate Obamacare, but parts of it ARE popular. A majority, however, dislikes the individual mandate, without which there would be no Obamacare.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, but talks about individual freedom, protecting the innocent and supporting orderly, legal immigration seem to do well with center-right voters.
I can't find it on the internet, but there was a series of surveys done some years ago that tested the respective party platforms with and without the party labels.
I hate Obamacare, but parts of it ARE popular. A majority, however, dislikes the individual mandate, without which there would be no Obamacare.
Speaking of labels, it really should be called Baucuscare or Maxcare since he's the one who put the whole thing together.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,470,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They're getting geared up for 2016.
That would be one obstinate act of desperation!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,578,977 times
Quote:
I like having two opposing parties, not two leftist parties..
I thought you took the POV that left and right as labels were relative to the current US political scene. So if there was one party that wanted to convert Obama care to single payer, and one that wanted to retain it as is, you'd have to call the former leftist and the latter rightist, correct?

once you introduce a less than completely relativist approach to such terminology, you would have to look at either US history (Obama is certainly to the right of FDR, LBJ, etc ) or to other western democracies (where almost every "conservative party" accepts national health insurance, or in the UK, national health care) as standards.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I thought you took the POV that left and right as labels were relative to the current US political scene.
Not completely. My label relativism is not absolutist.
Quote:
once you introduce a less than completely relativist approach to such terminology, you would have to look at either US history (Obama is certainly to the right of FDR, LBJ, etc )
but certainly to the left of Reagan, Bush 41 (debatable), Bush 43 and even Clinton...
Quote:
or to other western democracies (where almost every "conservative party" accepts national health insurance, or in the UK, national health care) as standards.
Yay, Christian Democratic Party for everyone!

You like "conservative" parties that have government collect taxes for state churches? Mein Herr, I thought you different!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:26 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,578,977 times
Quote:
Not completely. My label relativism is not absolutist.
but certainly to the left of Reagan, Bush 41 (debatable), Bush 43 and even Clinton...
Yay, Christian Democratic Party for everyone!

You like "conservative" parties that have government collect taxes for state churches? Mein Herr, I thought you different!

Obama left of clinton??? Not on health care certainly - if you recall, Hillarycare was effectively single payer. As for tax rates, their equivalency has been widely noted. They had similar views on Lord Keynes (President Clinton came into a very different economy of course). I would have thought Bill had spoken well enough for himself at the DNC, but apparently some were not listening.

As for what the christian dem parties of europe stand for in detail, I never said I agree with them on everything -thats not the point - the point is defining left vs right in a meaningful way - I think their attitude toward the mixed economy is more useful to us than their positions on historic anachronisms of their own societies.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Obama left of clinton??? Not on health care certainly - if you recall, Hillarycare was effectively single payer. As for tax rates, their equivalency has been widely noted. They had similar views on Lord Keynes (President Clinton came into a very different economy of course). I would have thought Bill had spoken well enough for himself at the DNC, but apparently some were not listening.
Yeah, but Bill Clinton saw the light after the mid-terms. Mr. "The era of big government is over."

Since you are of the leftist persuasion, surely you do know the throughness with which the Obama folks have gone about dismantling Clinton's centrist DLC. Indeed, where is DLC today?
Quote:
As for what the christian dem parties of europe stand for in detail, I never said I agree with them on everything -thats not the point - the point is defining left vs right in a meaningful way - I think their attitude toward the mixed economy is more useful to us than their positions on historic anachronisms of their own societies.
Oh, I see, what you like in them is "meaningful" but what you don't like in them is "historic anachronism."

You don't realize the two are tied. The European right is far more statist than ours. It's been that way since the foundation of the Republic. We Americans are less inclined toward statist healthcare as well as statist church.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
You don't realize the two are tied. The European right is far more statist than ours. It's been that way since the foundation of the Republic. We Americans are less inclined toward statist healthcare as well as statist church.
That's a joke. We Americans are plenty statist. We spend ours on things like the military/security-industrial complex that benefit "the right people" (the ones who tend to vote your way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia