Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:08 PM

22,537 posts, read 12,100,701 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a good lawn service company. What we want is a company that's licensed, bonded and insured plus makes an effort to hire American citizens and/or legal immigrants. This is something we feel very strongly about---especially in this bad economy. I know that hiring such a company will cost more than one that makes no effort to hire those who are legally authorized to work in this country. We also don't want a company that picks up people off street corners, because 1) They don't know anything about the people they pick up; and 2) As a result, you don't know if the people that they pick up are experienced thus know what they are doing.

We are approaching retirement age and my husband has back problems. Otherwise, we would continue to do this ourselves. Our ultimate goal is to sell the house, then downsize to a condo. Until we are able to do so, the lawn needs to be take care of.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 05:48 PM

947 posts, read 1,406,911 times
I'm not sure if you're looking for someone to do regular mowing of your lawn, and/or someone to do periodic lawn care such as reseeding, fertilizer and herbicide application, etc. If the latter, I would highly recommend Ultra Turf (703-996-8636, www.ultraturfinc.com). I've been using them for the past 12 years and have been quite pleased with them, although admittedly by the end of a summer like this any lawn will probably look a bit worse for the wear. Their package of seven service visits, spaced from very early spring through early winter, costs $350. This will includes reseeding where necessary in early spring and in fall, plus fertilizer and herbicide applications at the appropriate time. As far as I can tell, all their workers are legitimate, regular employees, not some "experts" plucked off the local 7-11 parking lot. I basically see the same two or three guys doing the lawn service at my house all the time.

If you're looking for regular mowing, I'd suggest you first see if some local teenager wants to earn a dollar or two (and in the process learn the value thereof). When I was unable to do the mowing myself last year, I got a very responsible teenager (sounds like an oxymorom but it isn't) who lives on our street. Cost was $25 per mowing.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Thank you for the recommendation! I will talk to my husband about it.

My one concern with hiring a local kid is this --- When you have someone doing work around your house who isn't licensed, bonded and insured and that person gets injured on your property, your homeowners insurance company won't cover it.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the recommendations, Yankeesfan. I looked at the Kingstowne Lawn link you posted. I'm guessing that they would have no problem doing work in Sterling?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:31 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,695,633 times
I don't know what areas they cover, but they're very friendly when you call so they'll be able to tell you. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2012, 03:55 PM

Thanks again, Yankeesfan. BTW, I was very impressed with their FAQs!

Old 08-29-2012, 04:15 PM

67 posts, read 179,423 times
With regard to your insurance comment, don't you have an umbrella policy? If you do not, I strongly suggest you speak with your insurance company. I wouldn't dream of not having one.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:46 PM

We do have umbrella insurance. You're right---everybody should have it.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:36 AM

198 posts, read 359,002 times
BOS2IAD -
I'm curious whether you contacted Kingstowne Lawn & Landscape to find out if they do work in Sterling, and if so, what the answer was. We live in Reston/Herndon area and I wouldn't mind looking for a new lawncare company.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia