Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 AM

326 posts, read 681,960 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in MD in La Plata. I'm familiar enough with getting to Fburg that I know "the way to go" however, I'm not completely familiar with names of the areas in between. I've taken the kids to Kings Dominion a few times this summer and saw some nice homes along the way. We are looking to get OUT of MD but I would still need to drive to PG County twice a week for work.
We have 3 young kids- so schools are important. My oldest son is dying to live in a neighborhood to have kids to play with. We were HOPING to find a home in the 2,800-3,000 sq foot range if possible, in a neighborhood, and not surpass the $400,000 mark. I feel like I'm asking too much when I start doing my research. Slightly depressing.

Any tips? Hints? Advice?

Part of the reason we didn't want to go to "NOVA" was the congestion. Plus, it's a bit of a rat race more so that way. NOT that it isn't here...just saying.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 12:17 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
You will probably find what you're looking for in South Stafford. If you drive down Rt. 3 (towards Fredericksburg) you'll go through King George...the next stop is Stafford County. Lots of nicer neighborhoods, good schools, easy access to Fredericksburg City and the shopping areas of Spotsylvania (without having to get into that traffic mess on a daily basis!) The Rt. 3 corridor between Stafford and King George to 301 isn't that bad..certainly not like I-95!
If you can stay east of Spotsylvania, the traffic isn't too awful!

Old 09-12-2012, 06:22 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
The busiest area with heaviest traffic 7 days a week, is along Route 3 just west of I-95 because there you find two big shopping malls (Central Park and Spotsylvania Mall) right next to each other, that draw shoppers from many counties around, plus many sprawling housing developments (Chancellorsville area).

Old 09-12-2012, 08:06 PM

743 posts, read 3,901,098 times
I would suggest looking at the Lee's Hill area of Spotsylvania, or maybe the newer neighborhood of Lee's Park. That area has good schools, good shopping, they are nice neighborhoods, and you should easily get what you want for $400k. Traffic is a little heavy around the traffic light between Southpoint I and Southpoint II (two shopping centers near 95, by exit 126)

From there you can take 17 out to 301, then over the bridge into Maryland.

The area you drove through to get to Kings Dominion was Caroline County. Schools aren't the best, and it is mostly rural. The area with the most neighborhoods is Ladysmith, off exit 110. There are two gated lake communities, a golf course community, and a traditional neighborhood development. (alleyways, street lights, sidewalks, etc). Cost of living is very low though... And you could get the house you want for $300k, or maybe a little less.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:09 AM

326 posts, read 681,960 times
Thanks everyone! This is exactly what I needed.

EricD- When I googled something like "forums about Caroline Co, VA" I randomly stumbled across a discussion about "Caroline Pines" (I think it was?) and a town/board meeting that had recently taken place and the posters were commenting on the water issue? The discussion went on to talk about how the development was wanting to tap into the county's water lines and charge $2,800 per house etc. and that there were water issues. Have you heard of anything like that? I did notice that the housing prices are extremely low there. But, that also made me wonder just how RURAL it is!

Lee's Parke- that's the planned community? I think I came across that via my online search.

What kills me, and this has nothing to do with VA in particular, is that expensive homes sit on a postage stamp lot! I don't need sprawling hills but hundreds of thousands of dollars later I'm not sure I want to touch my neighbors house- from my bathroom window! lol

Anyway, thanks again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia