Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:21 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,710 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys!

How long is the commute from Fredericksburg, VA to DC by metro? Where/what is the nearest metro station to Fredericksburg VA so that I can park and ride? I thought Van Dorn station is the last stop in VA and therefore, closest to Fredericksburg. I want the shortest commute possible without driving. Thanks for the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 03:43 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Franconia-Springfield is the closest stop to Fredericksburg and that's about a good 30-45 minute drive. You can catch the VRE to the Franconia Springfield metro station but it's probably a bit longer but less stressful.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:09 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,468 times
I think your best bet may be to travel by VRE from Fredericksburg into DC. You can get off at L'Enfant or Union Station. It is about 90 mins each way. Virginia Railway Express Home Page

Old 03-09-2008, 05:09 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
I think your best bet may be to travel by VRE from Fredericksburg into DC. You can get off at L'Enfant or Union Station. It is about 90 mins each way. Virginia Railway Express Home Page
Great! Thanks so much to you and to Spade also.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:52 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,010 times
See ya on the train!!!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:28 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,696 times
Actually, you have a couple more options.

In addition to the train, there are a couple of private bus companies (Martz and Quick) that have morning and evening commuter routes from Fredericksburg to Stafford to the Pentagon to Downtown.

Pros:

Cheaper than the train

Somewhat easier parking than for the train. There are several commuter lots with free parking and dropoff areas. You have to pay to park near the train station unless your spouse drops you off and picks you up. Also, parking is highly limited near the Fredericksburg train station. It is somewhat limited in the commuter bus lots too, but not so much.

You usually don't have to hassle with switching to Metro on the DC end. The buses have multiple drop off points.

Cons:

You usually need to have a reserved seat on the bus

Buses are somewhat slower than the train. Not always. The delays on the trains can be dire sometimes. Or accidents on the highway can create big delays too. In my humble opinion, it's pretty much a wash.

I recommend checking out the bus option. In my case, I started out on the train and switched to the bus as I found it to be cheaper and less of a hassle. However, this works out differently for different people.

There are no publicly funded buses at this time. To check out the commuter bus lines:

[SIZE=2]Martz Virginia / National Coach Trailways - Commuter Service - Morning Routes (http://www.martzgroupva.com/commuter-service-morning.asp - broken link)

Quick's Bus Company

Happy commuting.
[/SIZE]

Old 03-10-2008, 02:15 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
Delays can and do happen on a regular basis no matter WHAT form of transport you take. This has got to be the worst trip (from Fred'bg to DC) on the East Coast! And not just during the "so-called" rush hour--it's ALWAYS rush hour on that stretch of road!

Old 03-10-2008, 03:06 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,885,186 times
^ I agree Sundays on I-95N can be very brutal during summer with the beach goers etc..
AND..FRiday evening south on I-95...NIGHTMARE.

I have heard of problems with delays with the VRE out of F'burg but they were trying to work on that. I know some say it's not super realiable.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 68,038 times
Default anyone knows ins/out of DRIVE: Fredericksburg- Alexandria?

hi - I've taken the VRE since i've started a new job in Alexandria, but need to drive one day....

any idea of, if i leave at ~3:30 from Alexandria, will I only be in the first part of the jam? or do I need to leave earlier?
thanks, j

Old 05-19-2008, 12:31 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillersanp View Post
hi - I've taken the VRE since i've started a new job in Alexandria, but need to drive one day....

any idea of, if i leave at ~3:30 from Alexandria, will I only be in the first part of the jam? or do I need to leave earlier?
thanks, j

You should be on the early end. There will still be traffic, but not as bad as if you left at 5:30. Last spring I drove when the VRE had construction in Quantico, and if I left Rosslyn around 4:00 the drive back to F'burg wasn't too bad (relatively). If you can get more people in your car for the HOV lane (slug lines? coworkers?), it's even better. I think the drive in HOV usually took 60-90 minutes. Regular lanes were closer to 2 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia