Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 PM

564 posts, read 1,493,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yes, I agree, it will completely suck for people on the Inner Loop in the afternoons, as the HOT lanes dump back onto 495. But that's not me, so I don't care too much. I'm going the opposite way and hope that the traffic can ease up and people split into HOT lanes and regular lanes.

When I am on the Inner Loop in the morning, there is rarely traffic at that point, so I don't envision it being too much of an issue.

I realize my comments are all about my personal commute, but I really can't concern myself with other people's.....
Is the same effect not expected in the other direction when the HOT lanes dump back onto 495/95 in Springfield?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 02:26 PM

939 posts, read 1,892,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfs View Post
Is the same effect not expected in the other direction when the HOT lanes dump back onto 495/95 in Springfield?
For those carpooling, those lanes will dump right into the HOV lanes I think. The congestion around the springfield interchange on the outer loop is not currently that bad , it's usually above the speed limit. A mile or two down 95 is where you start to run into trouble.

Edit: just took a look at their site, and it looks like if you're staying HOV, you'll have the option to hug the inside left lane and take a dedicated exit to the HOV lanes. If you're just paying the toll and want to get to the regular 95 south road, it looks like you'll have to merge into existing traffic after braddock road. That does have the potential to cause some problems...

Old 11-05-2012, 04:38 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Unfortunately they don't begin until you get to 123, but it still might be enough of a pressure-release valve to make a difference. I'd be more worried about going north on the inner loop. Where those lanes end may cause a bigger jam than there is on a daily basis currently.
You can actually access it just north of the Dulles Access Road:

https://www.495expresslanes.com/using-the-lanes

Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
You can actually access it just north of the Dulles Access Road:

https://www.495expresslanes.com/using-the-lanes
Yup, where 495 crosses chain bridge

Old 11-05-2012, 05:03 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
...I certainly won't be paying for them unless there's an emergency, so I don't care that much.

My only fear is that there is some sort of exclusive contract that ensures a much more difficult process for improvements to the free lanes in the future (such as expansion or alternatives) so as to direct traffic onto the Lexus LAnes.

No need for such deviousness as "some sort of exclusive contract" to direct traffic onto the Lexus Lanes.

Transurban/Fluor already have an agreement with VA that if revenue from their Express Lanes fails to meet an agreed upon amount....the taxpayers of VA will make up the difference. So, you (and I, and everybody else) may well end up paying whether we use the lanes or not.

Those Aussies sure drive a hard bargain!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
No need for such deviousness as "some sort of exclusive contract" to direct traffic onto the Lexus Lanes.

Transurban/Fluor already have an agreement with VA that if revenue from their Express Lanes fails to meet an agreed upon amount....the taxpayers of VA will make up the difference. So, you (and I, and everybody else) may well end up paying whether we use the lanes or not.

Those Aussies sure drive a hard bargain!
We'll see how arrogant they are when they run out of water.... It'll be madmax land over there and I'll be sitting in my Jacuzzi tub just wondering what to do with all of the excess..

Old 11-05-2012, 05:39 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
I don't plan on using them. It's only once in a great while that we even use the Beltway (not even monthly) and I understand a transponder is needed. I don't think it would be worth having for the amount of times we would use it.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 AM

301 posts, read 691,201 times
I've been eagerly awaiting for these lanes to open and I will be using them frequently. I live off Rte 50 in Merrifield and work in Rockville, so I take the beltway daily. I've had to deal with this construction on a daily basis for the past 4 years.

My wife and I drive in together as she also works in Rockville, so we take our 3 year old son with us to daycare in Rockville as well...so we're lucky that we'll be able to use the Express Lanes for free. Granted, it's only a small part of our commute, but I'll still take it.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolli71 View Post
I've been eagerly awaiting for these lanes to open and I will be using them frequently. I live off Rte 50 in Merrifield and work in Rockville, so I take the beltway daily. I've had to deal with this construction on a daily basis for the past 4 years.

My wife and I drive in together as she also works in Rockville, so we take our 3 year old son with us to daycare in Rockville as well...so we're lucky that we'll be able to use the Express Lanes for free. Granted, it's only a small part of our commute, but I'll still take it.
I hope you've already ordered your special new EZPass transponder? You cannot use the regular one if you plan to ride for free. You can use the regular one if you plan on paying for the HOT lanes.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:39 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolli71 View Post

Me as well. I work in Tysons, so the lanes will drop me right off on Westpark then I can swing over to 123. Plus, I ride a motorcycle, so any day I ride I don't have to pay for the lanes at all (which is 6+ months a year). Not only will it cut time off my trip both ways, it cuts 12 miles each day off, since I don't have to take HOV to the Pentagon and catch the GW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia