Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 03:32 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Benz View Post
the counties that went blue in the area after the election
Actually, that seems like a fairly reasonable gauge. I don't generally like political labels but it does seem like Nova went one direction and Rova went the other, so the counties that went blue are part of Nova.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 07:48 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
I remember when it was a toll call from Annandale to Woodbridge....

(For the young'uns...toll call=you used to have to pay extra on your phone bill for each individual call. It was also called "long distance"...even if it actually wasn't.)

Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

(For the young'uns...toll call=you used to have to pay extra on your phone bill for each individual call. It was also called "long distance"...even if it actually wasn't.)
And you didn't dial the area code, correct? Just 1+ the number. Oh, and the first two numbers were written as the first two letters of a word, for example "Yukon" for 98, also known as "an exchange". Man, we're old.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

Yep. I grew up as a teen on Bull Run Mt in the far north of PWC. We had to be real careful on where we called as so much was long distance. We had a party line which of course was a pain. We had one lady who we shared a phone with all the time. She was constantly on the phone gabbing away. I once blew a whistle to get her off the phone as the repeated pick ups weren't enough of a clue for her that others were waiting to make calls. She wasn't happy.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:25 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
I generally go bu COG. If the town/city/county is a member of COG I consider them NOVA. (Obviously only talking about the VA locations)

MWCOG.org - Members Jurisdiction

Old 11-14-2012, 05:51 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
I think Snowdenscold's map is pretty appropriate at this point. Growing up inside the Beltway in the 80's/90's, I know Loudoun was still "out there" and PW was a place you traveled past to get to King's Dominion. Loudoun has exploded in both growth/money and the northern parts of Prince William are starting to really resemble the neighborhoods I remember growing up.

I'm not sure I'd count Fauquier yet, a lot of it is still pretty rural, and Fredericksburg still feels too far south to me to be part of NOVA, but it has clearly expanded.
The interesting thing about Fauquier is they clearly benefit from being close to these places though because their median income is amongst the top in the nation. It may not be NoVA culturally but it is pretty comparable to other parts of NoVA as far as income.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:49 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
The interesting thing about Fauquier is they clearly benefit from being close to these places though because their median income is amongst the top in the nation. It may not be NoVA culturally but it is pretty comparable to other parts of NoVA as far as income.
Much lower though if you compare them by income per acre.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 AM

939 posts, read 1,892,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
Northern VA equals pretty much anywhere where jobs like retail, hotel maids and other service sector jobs are done by mostly immigrants.
So everywhere in the country except West Virginia?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
And you didn't dial the area code, correct? Just 1+ the number. Oh, and the first two numbers were written as the first two letters of a word, for example "Yukon" for 98, also known as "an exchange". Man, we're old.
Yeah! The Annandale exchange was CLearbrook 6........Arlington was JAckson 5 or 7.

Don't ask me how I remember stuff like that!

ETA: Cava, I believe the exchange down your way was SOuth 8

Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I generally go bu COG. If the town/city/county is a member of COG I consider them NOVA. (Obviously only talking about the VA locations)

MWCOG.org - Members Jurisdiction
that was the main group I was referring to in my earlier post. I attended a couple of their meetings about a decade ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia