Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,725,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Agreed. But it's not NoVa specific. You can get the above anywhere in "regular America".
Yep. Hell, there's been known to be a block party on our street. Hasn't happened in awhile though.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:45 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,809,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
Maybe I get home at 10pm because I'm sick of spending my free non-work related time inside at home?!??!?!

Didn't know that was a federal crime....
I came in at 4am on a Saturday morning coming back from a party in Frederick. I may get the death penalty.

I don't talk to my neighbors out of choice (I live in a high-rise). I'm a person who does not like to get held up for 10 minutes having a convo because usually I'm on my way somewhere or just want to get into my apt and lie in my bed after a hard day at work. If I come off as unfriendly, whatever, your problem not mine.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:35 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,295,823 times
My neighbors seem to work normal hours. We also have a lot of stay at home and work from home parents who spend a of time with their kids, as well as quite a few retirees. Pretty laid back in my neck of the woods. With technology what it is I don't see why you'd need to spend a lot of time at the office.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:17 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,772,972 times
And in another study, some of the most religious states in the country also has the highest divorce rates in the country as well as the highest rates in teen pregnancy. Go figure.

Last edited by e30is; 11-13-2012 at 06:26 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
And in another study, some of the most religious states in the country also has the highest divorce rates in the country as well as the highest rates in teen pregnancy. Go figure.
That's true. The red states push all that social legislation because less desirable activities are a bigger problem there.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That's true. The red states push all that social legislation because less desirable activities are a bigger problem there.
I'm just curious as to how these "family values" are holding up down there since they claim to be very superior at this aspect in life.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I'm just curious as to how these "family values" are holding up down there since they claim to be very superior at this aspect in life.
I see a lot more strip joints down there than here. They must be there just for the out of towners.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,739,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
I am currently living in the land of TYPE A turn the world on fire and the United Nations of America's immigrant population Northern Virginia.

There seems to be three types of people in pretty much every neighborhood I have lived in here.

One: TYPE A, wired for achievement and success turn the world on fire types. They leave for work at 5 AM and come home at 8:00 PM or later. Nothing is more important to these people than making money or gaining career success or power. They live for work and everything else suffers including their family and friends. They have huge egos and only talk to people who can benefit them or someone at their level. They don't have time or interest in chit chatting with the neighbors.

TWO: Immigrant struggling to make it in America and understand a foreign place. They come from places where there is less diversity and most people are more homogeneous. They are overwhelmed by the many languages spoken in the DC area and the pressures of daily living. They may speak English fairly well but don't really understand the culture or hidden understandings of the English language or the way of live and sensitivities of native born Americans. As a result they are more comfortable just associating with family and friends who come from the same country as they were born.

THREE: Everyone else (regular type folks like you would find in the rest of VA and most of middle America. This is an ever decreasing percentage of the population. Political Correctness tells this group that they should welcome the immigrants and tell everyone they love the diversity of the DC area but deep down they feel that the America they once knew is slipping away and they feel like strangers in their own community. Many are moving away under the excuse of better schools or a simpler way of life. But really deep down they feel like outsiders in a community that feels more foreign to them every day.

The result everyone is stressed and feel out of place and don't talk to the neighbors.
You are an idiot.

I leave for work at 7:30, work 800-4:30, and get home at 5:00. Most of my neighbors are similar. We work to live, not live to work. And we live in one of the more affluent close-in suburbs.

My wife is an immigrant and speaks English perfectly, with no accent. As for being "more comfortable just associating with family and friends who come from the same country as they were born," well, she married me. And in fact, all of her friends are of ethnic backgrounds different from hers.

Also, what are "hidden understandings of the English language"? I'm a native English speaker and edit the English language for a living; I have no idea what your statement means. A language can't have an understanding; only people can. Did you mean "nuances"? Or is that a word you never learned? And nuances aren't hidden; they're just subtle. Maybe you should focus on understanding the subtle nuances (and basic word definitions) of the English language.

Thank God that there are plenty of native-born Americans who aren't as closed-minded, fearful, and ignorant as you.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 11-13-2012 at 08:14 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 PM

881 posts, read 2,095,579 times
Quote:
Comedy Central isn't a news source, and snark isn't reality. (top 5 Divorce States: Ark, Idaho, Nevada, WV, and Wyoming)

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0133.pdf

Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Comedy Central isn't a news source, and snark isn't reality. (top 5 Divorce States: Ark, Idaho, Nevada, WV, and Wyoming)

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0133.pdf
I actually didn't get my source from CC, and I never mentioned which part of the US either. I figured it would be in the top 10.

Edit: This is last years list: http://247wallst.com/2011/08/25/the-...vorce-rates/2/

If there is an updated one, disregard my post.

Last edited by e30is; 11-13-2012 at 08:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia