Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 02:05 PM

148 posts, read 644,759 times

Advertisements

A relative of mine from Northern PA just moved to Northern VA. He has worked in retail for most of his life and thought he would go to the Mall and try to find a job. What a shock. Even though he has 15 years experience and comes across quite well, no one will hire him. He is starting to wonder if it is a case of age discrimination or reverse racial discrimination.

No, this is not a troll racist post!

I am just trying to get some feedback on the lack of lower middle class opportunities for white people in the Northern VA area.

I went over to the Mall and looked around and noticed that pretty much everyone who works in retail is an immigrant. There seems to be few opportunities for African Americans. This is also the case in grocery stores, convieance stores and restaurants. Are there opportunities for hard working white people in low skilled jobs in NVA?

Last edited by total_genius; 06-23-2008 at 02:21 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 02:45 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,518 times
Why are you taking race into consideration? Nova is one of those places where work ethic and education rules. Not race.

But yes...most of the nonskilled labor are taken up by immigrants because they're willing to do it for the lowest price. This is definitely one of those places where you need a degree to survive adequately.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:14 PM

17,357 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Well, I have to say I haven't noticed anything like you describe. I'm college educated but I don't have a degree and I've never had a hard time get a job in Northern VA. The jobs are why so many people (of all races) come here!

Trying to live here on a retail salesperson's salary may be a bit difficult, but it isn't totally impossible.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:14 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
A relative of mine from Northern PA just moved to Northern VA. He has worked in retail for most of his life and thought he would go to the Mall and try to find a job. What a shock. Even though he has 15 years experience and comes across quite well, no one will hire him. He is starting to wonder if it is a case of age discrimination or reverse racial discrimination.

No, this is not a troll racist post!

I am just trying to get some feedback on the lack of lower middle class opportunities for white people in the Northern VA area.

I went over to the Mall and looked around and noticed that pretty much everyone who works in retail is an immigrant. There seems to be few opportunities for African Americans. This is also the case in grocery stores, convieance stores and restaurants. Are there opportunities for hard working white people in low skilled jobs in NVA?
Actually i work as a bank teller (African-American) and white bank tellers are pretty rare. In fact everyone who works at my branch is either Black or Latino, including the upper-level positions. I used to work at a electronics store who had some quality white workers for retail jobs. So it aint impossible for a low-skilled white person to find some decent work in NoVA.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:39 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Hey total, it's time for him to make a career change!

I got bored after I retired from the Fed Govt and now drive a FFX Co school bus...it's a great job! Great benefits too.

If he has a good driving record and can pass a drug test have him check this out:

FCPS - Department of Facilities and Transportation Services-Transportation Services-Employment Opportunities

Old 06-23-2008, 08:25 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
While the constructive responses have been appreciated, this thread has the potential to go very bad, very quickly.

Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia