Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:56 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,024,104 times

Advertisements

It's been several months now since DC started the bag tax and northern Virginia grocery stores started a gentle campaign pushing customers to bring their own bags. Any opinions on how that's working so far? I see the bags at Wegman's. They're really cute, but so far I haven't seen anyone using them. I like the idea and actually have a few bags at home but I keep forgetting them... I wonder if that's what's happening to most people?

opinions? What have the rest of you seen? Does the program seem to be working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 11:02 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,465,578 times
I see them being used alot, especially at Wegmans. I used to forget mine all the time but now I just keep them in my car and I've gotten into the habit. I feel guilty when I don't have enough and have to use plastic....

Personally I think it's great.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:12 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,024,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I see them being used alot, especially at Wegmans. I used to forget mine all the time but now I just keep them in my car and I've gotten into the habit. I feel guilty when I don't have enough and have to use plastic....

Personally I think it's great.
OK, you've inspired me. I just this second got up and put them in the car. Now I have no excuse.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:59 AM

696 posts, read 1,699,373 times
It's become habit for us to put our cloth bags back in the car after unloading groceries. I really like my Trader Joe insulated bag and use that bag to hold all of the other bags in the car.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:32 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,700,851 times
I've been using my own bags for many years, since back when Giant sold oversized mesh bags. (Now I use those when we go to the beach, since sand shakes out easily; the newer sizes are much more manageable for groceries.) After unloading the groceries I put the bags with my purse which is an automatic reminder to bring them to the car the next time I go out. At other stores if I buy only a few things I tell them I don't need a bag.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:26 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,327,520 times
I have some, but I also need the plastic bags for cat litter scooping, so I can't completely stop getting them. If there's been a flurry of shopping and I have more plastic than I'll use up, I return them to the store's recycling bin (most stores have plastic bag recycling in the lobby).

I like to use the reusable bags for other things - like when we travel; it's helpful to have all the kids' eating needs (bibs, sippy cups, snacks, portable high chairs) in one bag (separate from the diaper bag) when we stop for lunch or dinner.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:55 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,337,943 times
We have the black wegmans bags...have had them for years BUT we often need the plastic bags to pick up after our dog on her daily walks so we sometimes leave the black bags at home on purpose. I don't feel guilty though...technically we are recycling them. They are being used for more than just carrying our groceries!

Old 03-15-2010, 02:34 PM

9,784 posts, read 15,854,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
I've been using my own bags for many years, since back when Giant sold oversized mesh bags.
Me too! Me too! I still have the original green Giant mesh bags from at least 15 years ago. It's still going strong! I think I've made my initial 99-cent investment back and saved a few trees in the process! I remember to bring my own bags at least 9 times out of 10.

Back when I started using them, they were rare. Cashiers looked at me strangely and many would forget and put my stuff in a regular bag anyway. It's much more common now. Cashiers are used to them; no one gives me strange looks; and I see many others using them.

Whole Foods now has a program where you can key in your phone number and get your receipt online and save the paper. Every little bit helps.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:39 PM

593 posts, read 2,445,072 times
I love the re-usable grocery bags. My favorite part about them (aside from environmental benefits) is that they are much stronger and don't rip apart like paper or plastic bags do.

I also picked up an insulated one for $2, and last summer it made the difference between frozen and halfway-melted ice cream sandwiches in the summer heat!

One tip -- if you forget reusable bags on a trip to the store and have to get plastic ones, bring the plastic bags back on your next trip. Most grocery stores have a big bin/box near the store entrance where you can recycle plastic bags (much better than throwing them away).

Old 03-15-2010, 04:13 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,465,578 times
oh yeah I'm with those of you who use the plastic ones to pick up after the dog, I do too. I just ran out and had to go to the drug store so I left my reusables home. Can I just tell you they gave me 4 plastic bags for like 6 items??? Ridiculous - but now I'm set for a few weeks at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia