Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 06:55 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times

Advertisements

Franconia-Springfield Metro has a parking garage with 6000 spaces. They fill up at some point but it's not like you have to get there ultra early. There is overflow Metro parking in the parking garage at Springfield Mall. The Metro garage has a section for reserved parking; you pay $45 a month for a permit and only permit holders can park in the reserved section before 10:00 am. After 10:00 am the reserved spots become available to the public and there are always dozens and dozens of them left, so apparently people are able to get parking the regular way or the demand for reserved spots would be higher. (The $45 fee is just for the right to park in that area; everyone still pays the daily $3.75 parking fee.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 06:30 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,420 times
Misphasa,

I think that you have to take what some people tell you with a grain of salt. In my experience, people will make assumptions about an area because they don't like the way it looks. I often work in neighorhoods that others consider to be "bad". Because I'm there, and see what actually happens, I usually disagree with the label.

It really is hard to get a sense of what a neighborhood is like without actually experiencing it for yourself. Another thing to keep in mind...people who live in areas that others may consider bad may not see it the same way because the people participating in criminal activity won't victimize the people they live near. You may move in and be robbed the first night because you're the newbie. The best way to get the information you need is to check out the county police websites. They have no reason to skew the truth.

I don't live near a metro station, but I ride the Metro to MANY locations...including Huntington...alone (or sometimes with my kids), late at night or during the day and nothing has ever happened to me.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:10 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misphasa View Post
Re: Vienna metro area - any thoughts on the following TH communities - Circle Woods, Hampton Court, Linden Square, Dunn Loring Village, Dunn Loring Woods? Thanks for all your input and advice!
Circle Woods...very nice, established, lots of trees, but a bit hemmed in by the park, particularly from the back of the complex. I'm not sure about walking trails to the Metro. There used to be a bike path through the park that would take you almost right to the Vienna station, but I don't know if it's still being maintained.

Hampton Court...right behind the Pan Am Center. Easy walk to CVS, Safeway, lots more. Established, a little older, not quite as upscale as the others, but also with lots of trees. Walk to metro would be doable but pretty long...15-20 minutes?

Linden Square...just off Blake Lane. Established, woodsy, very nice, comfy, cozy. There is bus service to/from Vienna station...the walk would be just over a mile.

Dunn Loring Village...just off Hilltop. Established, beautiful grounds...trees, creek, open grass. Walk would be to Dunn Loring...10-12 pleasant minutes. One of my favorites in the area.

Dunn Loring Woods...not aware that there are any townhouses in Dunn Loring Woods. All SFH's that I can think of. Older smaller homes, but quite charming and well maintained. East side is an easy walk to Dunn Loring. Used to park there and walk quite often myself.

Let me know if you have specific questions on any of these...

Last edited by saganista; 10-21-2007 at 09:19 PM..

Old 10-25-2007, 11:13 AM

10 posts, read 50,897 times
[quote=misphasa;1772676]...but what is it about the Huntington Metro area that is considered undesirable? I would be walking back and forth from the metro every day - is it that area specifically that's bad and maybe Jefferson Manor is ok?
quote]

The actual Huntington Metro stop sits in between 2 roads-North Kings Hwy and Huntington Ave. Jefferson Manor is on the North Kings Hwy side and as I've mentioned I love it and walk to and from the metro at night alone (just did last night as a matter of fact). Anyway the area on the Huntington Ave side is somewhat less desirable and maybe that's why people associate the whole Huntington Metro area as undersirable. Jefferson Manor has many, many residents that commute via the metro daily (and nightly).

Old 10-25-2007, 11:56 AM

18 posts, read 93,981 times
You can get a lot of 550k in the DC metro area now. If trees are your main concern checkout Reston, VA (you'll have to park at the park n ride, then take the bus to the metro) and that will take an hour to that metro stop. I work there and car pool with someone who does that commute from Reston. It takes her an hour one-way. (You can carpool with us of that works out

Greenbelt is also an option. It's an underlooked area of the metro dc area unfortunately most of the building took place in the 40s so the majority of the construction is from that time but it's a very nice community. Townhouses are in the 200s, single family 400+. Single family is where most of the new construction is.

I have a friend, artist-type, who loves it there. I can tell you more about it if you want, just e-mail me.

Janine

Old 10-27-2007, 08:23 AM

14 posts, read 58,469 times
Thanks to all again!

Kingstowne is still on the list - but I was wondering if I could get an estimate on driving into DC from there - I'd be going to E St, SW, right off 395. Let's say I wanted to get to work sometime between 7 & 8 and leaving work somewhere between 4:30 - 6P.

The communities near the Vienna metro are still on the list too - would the traffic be worse from there?

Another area I was wondering about was London Square in Arlington 22204. I don't think there's a metro nearby, but it's ~5 mi to my office. Is that a safe area?

I'm moving down there from Chicago and previously I worked & commuted around NYC - so I understand how awful sitting in traffic can be. I would like to avoid that if possible in moving down to the DC area. I would also not consider myself an "urban pioneer" so safety is always a concern.

Thanks again for everyone's very helpful advice!!!

Old 10-27-2007, 12:36 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,327 times
I'm not certain about that exact subdivision, but I live in 22204 and most of it is pretty safe, but I guess it depends on what you consider safe and what will annoy you. I have never had any problems where I live, but some might drive around parts of my neighborhood and consider it bad just by how it looks, everything is relative I guess. I'm not an urban pioneer and I wouldn't consider this area a place where you have to be one.

As far as commuting I commute further than you would that into DC and it takes me about 20-30 mins in the morning and about 15-25 in the afternoon. I think on the absolute worst days it has taken me about 45 mins and that's with major accidents or major events, though I know most the back ways around too. Compare that to occasional 1-2 hr delays from Metro problems or 2 hr delays getting to the beltway when 395 or the GW parkway is jammed from an accident.

At the $550k level you can definitely buy a nice place in S. Arlington. Look at Arlington County's website for zoning plans for the area; there are a lot of plans that are beginning to take shape for Columbia Pike, Shirlington, Four Mile Run, and Nauck that you can look at to get an idea what is upcoming. I believe there are even some new SFH and TH at that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia