Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 PM

6 posts, read 9,414 times

Advertisements

Due to our expanding business we are relocating from Raleigh, NC to Loudoun Co. VA. We've been in NC for 6 yrs and while my husband misses the DMV area I'm down right worried as to how inclusive the area will be. I'm orginally from the Eastern Shore of MD. We're Black professionals and I sincerely thought that in some point in my time in NC I would run across the Klan or other outlandish bigotry. Much to my misguided surprise the race issues I thought I would have were far and few between. When I moved to NC I was single and free as a bird. Now I'm married, and the mom to a 2 yr old daughter with another one due in April. Right now my daughter is in Montessori school part time and she is the only Black child in the entire school. The staff is diverse in the sense of White, Asian and Latino and the owner of the school is African. The parents have been great and we've been able to develop wonderful relationships. In researching the Loudoun Co. area I've heard all kinds of extremes. I know I have a big part in how our experience will be. However I would like some honest information on how inclusive people are. It's one thing for an area to be diverse, it's another for people of different races to actually interact beyond a superficial level. What I discovered in NC is that perceived class/education similarities move people beyond the color of your skin. Is it the same there? It took for me to leave the Eastern Shore of MD to realize just how seriously segregated the place is. Now as a parent I'm worried of putting my children in environments where they will feel unwanted, ignored or immediately judged. I understand I can't keep her in a bubble, but I'd like to know if people are at least receptive. I don't expect to hold hand and sing Kumbaya but I don't want to feel passive/aggressive hatred vibes either. Any information is greatly appreciated as this move is happening a lot quicker than I thought it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe1979 View Post
What I discovered in NC is that perceived class/education similarities move people beyond the color of your skin. Is it the same there?
Absolutely YES.

Many areas of NoVA, especially affluent parts of Loudoun (which is to say most of Loudoun), are THE classic example of Charles Murray's thesis that education/income/social status, NOT race, is the new marker for segregation in today's affluent America.

My last neighborhood in Ashburn was affluent, very friendly (block parties!), highly natal () and was very diverse with many mixed couples/families (white/black, white/East Asian, black/Southeast Asian, white/Hindu, etc.) with people of all kinds of ethno-religious backgrounds (WASPs, Northeastern ethnic Catholics, southern Baptists, Hindus, Pakistani Muslims, Vietnamese Catholics, Mormons, Persian Baha'i's, you name it).

What they all had in common was that they were mostly well-educated professionals with young kids. The best way to describe it is 1950's Leave It to Beaver vibe with a high degree of diversity.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:01 AM

109 posts, read 322,101 times
I lived in Loudoun County for 11 years and never had a problem with racism. Loudoun County still have a ways to go before waving the diversity flag but your family and you will be more than okay. IMO you couldn't have picked a nicer more family friendly area. I also lived many years in Raleigh and just caution you not to expect that level of diversity or you will be sorely disappointed. In NOVA and especially Loudoun County, Classism is the new Racism!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Due to our expanding business we are relocating from Raleigh, NC to Loudoun Co. VA. We've been in NC for 6 yrs and while my husband misses the DMV area I'm down right worried as to how inclusive the area will be. I'm orginally from the Eastern Shore of MD. We're Black professionals and I sincerely thought that in some point in my time in NC I would run across the Klan or other outlandish bigotry. Much to my misguided surprise the race issues I thought I would have were far and few between. When I moved to NC I was single and free as a bird. Now I'm married, and the mom to a 2 yr old daughter with another one due in April. Right now my daughter is in Montessori school part time and she is the only Black child in the entire school. The staff is diverse in the sense of White, Asian and Latino and the owner of the school is African. The parents have been great and we've been able to develop wonderful relationships. In researching the Loudoun Co. area I've heard all kinds of extremes. I know I have a big part in how our experience will be. However I would like some honest information on how inclusive people are. It's one thing for an area to be diverse, it's another for people of different races to actually interact beyond a superficial level. What I discovered in NC is that perceived class/education similarities move people beyond the color of your skin. Is it the same there? It took for me to leave the Eastern Shore of MD to realize just how seriously segregated the place is. Now as a parent I'm worried of putting my children in environments where they will feel unwanted, ignored or immediately judged. I understand I can't keep her in a bubble, but I'd like to know if people are at least receptive. I don't expect to hold hand and sing Kumbaya but I don't want to feel passive/aggressive hatred vibes either. Any information is greatly appreciated as this move is happening a lot quicker than I thought it was.
Northern Virginia is pretty diverse and not very racist. It's definitely more about socio-economic class. Still, there is a lot of self-segregation. Black people I know don't really want to be a small minority in their neighborhood even if everyone seems welcoming. Same for other minorities. So there is some tendency for people to lump together by race. That means neighborhoods and schools do tend to be overly "white" in places. Nevertheless, I do not think anyone would deliberately try to make anyone uncomfortable, so I think your daughter will be just fine in school or anywhere else.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:27 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
I believe (and hope) that the worst your child will have to endure is curious small children trying to touch her hair. Fortunately, the bigots (who of course occupy the lowest rungs of all possible ladders) were priced out of Loudoun long ago.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I believe (and hope) that the worst your child will have to endure is curious small children trying to touch her hair. Fortunately, the bigots (who of course occupy the lowest rungs of all possible ladders) were priced out of Loudoun long ago.
I don't know if racial/ethnic prejudice necessarily rises and falls according to income...but I concur with the others who say that economic status is what divides people in NOVA more than anything.

To the OP: except for the possibility that there may be a better selection of hairstylists and barbers further into Fairfax County/Arlington/Alexandria - though don't quote me on that - you should be fine in Loudoun.

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-11-2012 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 AM

6 posts, read 9,414 times
Thank you all so much! I feel so much better. I was trying not to be irrational, but it honestly worried me. While I'm sure I will miss the warm weather and affordable cost of living, this information makes me so much more at ease. Now onto to the housing search. We're definitely going to rent first before we look at buying a home. We bought as soon as we moved to NC and quickly realized I should have felt the area out a little more. Does anyone have any knowledge about the Willowsford Community? Obviously the website makes you warm and fuzzy, but hearing from real people is a help. We're going to head up that way this weekend and I'd like to make a small list of places to check out as potential permanent residences. I'd like to rent for at least 6 months but no longer than a year.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any knowledge about the Willowsford Community? Obviously the website makes you warm and fuzzy, but hearing from real people is a help. We're going to head up that way this weekend and I'd like to make a small list of places to check out as potential permanent residences. I'd like to rent for at least 6 months but no longer than a year.

Willowsford is a completely new single family home development. I'm not sure they've actually delivered any houses, yet. I'm not sure you'll be able to find rentals there.

When are you expecting to relocate? Where will you or your husband be working?

Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
Chloe - my wife and I are from Apex, so we know the area you're speaking of very well. We live in Loudoun now, in the Brambleton area. To give you some idea of my race, my doppleganger is Clark Griswald. I've got a little Rusty, Aubry, and one smokin' hot blonde Ellen of a wife! I've got nearly 18,000 christmas lights, of which my wife won't let me use anymore. You and your children won't have any problems with feeling isolated or out of place here. Our playgrounds are like little UN sessions. There is a healthy population base of families from all over the world in Loudoun, from India to Guam, to Europe and South Africa, to the Bronx and Chicago, to the Eastern Shore and Apex, NC. When I take my son to pre-school, a class of maybe 10 kids, he and one other little girl are the two only white kids in the class, and they have a TON of fun with everyone. My only gripe, which requires a sense of humor to understand, is that I have a really tough time pronouncing some of the names. I'm trying though, but my accent tends to get in my way. I feel embarrassed by it actually, but I think those I speak with tend to understand my struggles, with some folks just telling me to "call me Jack"!

The issues regarding economic class differences, well, that's not just in Loudoun. I find folks here who live in DC, view Loudoun as "no mans land", the "sticks", "boonies", and so on. I've found more snotty attitudes when it comes to Loudoun County, from those who aren't in Loudoun County, than I've actually found in Loudoun itself. Yes, there are those who are running the rat race at full-tilt, and if you're not driving something that is German, you're a lower class. You really want to be around that anyway? I don't (and, I do drive something German, with turbo on it, but because it's the cheapest alternative to what I need in a car in general). If you're into "keeping up with the Jones'" next door, then Loudoun is great for that. If you're not into "keeping up with the Jones'" next door, Loudoun is great for that too (and you'll probably find the Jones' are relieved that you don't care what they drive as well!)

Come on up! And BRING THE DIET SUNDROP WITH YOU!!!!

Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Well, I don't know where to suggest you should live, but I know where you shouldn't live - next door to NC211 and his 18,000 Christmas lights.

Seriously, I just made the reverse move - from Fairfax County to Chapel Hill. Overall in the DC area you have NOTHING to worry about. While I cannot give you perspective from a black person, I can tell you as a white mom to an Asian kid, I don't think I've ever seen anyone give us a second glance in NoVA. We lived in Vienna which is one of the "whiter" areas on paper but in reality, people are white, black,and all shades of brown. I have never been anywhere in NoVA where I look around and it's only white people. Having said that, the largest minorities are Hispanic and Asian, so while it's possible your child might be the only black student in a group, she wouldn't be the only non-white.

There is, of course, some self-segregation, but I think that tends to be based more on language and home country culture. I agree with everyone else that most of the segregation is based on economics rather than race or ethnicity, aside from what I mentioned above.

I will suggest that you look at demographics of the town and school you are moving to. Because even though the area overall is very diverse, there are pockets of homogeneous populations. For example, where I lived, the school we fed into is about 50% white, while another school across town is 75% white so there can be big differences, although neither had a large black population - 3% and 1%, respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia