Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 PM

6 posts, read 9,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Chloe - my wife and I are from Apex, so we know the area you're speaking of very well. We live in Loudoun now, in the Brambleton area. To give you some idea of my race, my doppleganger is Clark Griswald. I've got a little Rusty, Aubry, and one smokin' hot blonde Ellen of a wife! I've got nearly 18,000 christmas lights, of which my wife won't let me use anymore. You and your children won't have any problems with feeling isolated or out of place here. Our playgrounds are like little UN sessions. There is a healthy population base of families from all over the world in Loudoun, from India to Guam, to Europe and South Africa, to the Bronx and Chicago, to the Eastern Shore and Apex, NC. When I take my son to pre-school, a class of maybe 10 kids, he and one other little girl are the two only white kids in the class, and they have a TON of fun with everyone. My only gripe, which requires a sense of humor to understand, is that I have a really tough time pronouncing some of the names. I'm trying though, but my accent tends to get in my way. I feel embarrassed by it actually, but I think those I speak with tend to understand my struggles, with some folks just telling me to "call me Jack"!

The issues regarding economic class differences, well, that's not just in Loudoun. I find folks here who live in DC, view Loudoun as "no mans land", the "sticks", "boonies", and so on. I've found more snotty attitudes when it comes to Loudoun County, from those who aren't in Loudoun County, than I've actually found in Loudoun itself. Yes, there are those who are running the rat race at full-tilt, and if you're not driving something that is German, you're a lower class. You really want to be around that anyway? I don't (and, I do drive something German, with turbo on it, but because it's the cheapest alternative to what I need in a car in general). If you're into "keeping up with the Jones'" next door, then Loudoun is great for that. If you're not into "keeping up with the Jones'" next door, Loudoun is great for that too (and you'll probably find the Jones' are relieved that you don't care what they drive as well!)

Come on up! And BRING THE DIET SUNDROP WITH YOU!!!!

It's took me until a year ago to try Sundrop and a cheese biscuit! We're definitely not keeping up with the Jones kind of folks but we have plenty of friends who are. I think we all get a kick out of each other at times. Husband was a German car kind of guy.....a few kids later, we're part of the big American SUV crowd and his car and motorcycle are a distant memory.

@spencgr: So Willowsford is totally new. Hmmm.....we'll ride and check it out. But I'm definitely more of a wait and see with new subdivisions. From the explosion of growth I've seen in NC, plans can be grand and quickly fall off. Most places here have bounced back but the majority of them had to drastically modify their offerings to residents. Which can totally suck if you bought early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 01:42 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,569,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Well, I don't know where to suggest you should live, but I know where you shouldn't live - next door to NC211 and his 18,000 Christmas lights.
I knew when the 11:15 from Laguardia to Dulles accidently took out the chimney, that I had probably gone over the safety limit for Loudoun by roughly 5,000 lights! Look on the bright side though (no pun intented) - yard work at 2am is as easy as 2pm!

Chloe - you'll want to budget to replace the big ol' American SUV for a more locationally appropriate family buggy, the Volvo XC90. When in Rome, as they say... Don't worry, the HOA will issue you the appropriate amount of family icon badges for the back window, along with the usual line-up of gymnastic and soccer badges as well.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:16 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,153,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south_east2west View Post
I also lived many years in Raleigh and just caution you not to expect that level of diversity or you will be sorely disappointed.
I think this would depend on one's definition of diversity.

Parts of Loudoun, especially western Loudoun, are very white. But the sheer mix of different ethno-demographic groups in eastern Loudoun likely exceeds that of R-D. Can you get "Indo-Chinese" food in R-D? That would be "Chinese" food Indians eat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I don't know if racial/ethnic prejudice necessarily rises and falls according to income...but I concur with the others who say that economic status is what divides people in NOVA more than anything.
I don't know about today, but as of about 10-20 years ago, data showed that with most ethnic groups (white, Hispanic, Asian) as education/income levels rose, prejudices against Jews declined. One conspicuous exception: blacks. With this group, as education/income level rose, anti-Jewish prejudice increased. But, again, that was a decade or two ago and things may have changed.

I suspect with most affluent, educated people today those markers matter a lot more than race. That certainly seems to be the case in every neighborhood I lived in NoVA, especially in the exurban/outer suburban areas, which are the new destinations for immigrants rather than urban/inner suburban areas. Yes, there is such a thing as "immigrant flight" from the cities!

Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 PM

531 posts, read 1,430,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Willowsford is a completely new single family home development. I'm not sure they've actually delivered any houses, yet. I'm not sure you'll be able to find rentals there
I think they have delivered some houses.

The community is beautiful. The only thing holding me back from purchasing a property there is its high school being zoned to Aldie instead of Ashburn.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM

280 posts, read 1,074,282 times
I think the Aldie school zoning (John Champe) vs. Ashburn is a huge plus. I live in the area, and something that is pretty well known by those of us with kids in this part of Loudoun is that the Ashburn schools, in particular Brambleton have huge overcrowding and zoning issues. We over here in Aldie still have a little room to grow. Its a wonderful area and Champe is a gorgeous brand new school.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,153,059 times
I think the quality of a school depends more on the demographics of the students and the parental involvement more than how "crowded" it is.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:37 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,316,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I think the quality of a school depends more on the demographics of the students and the parental involvement more than how "crowded" it is.
The Brambleton schools are good but very overcrowded. This year Legacy ES has 1202 kids with a program capacity of 952; an additional 14 kids are "overflowed" to other schools in Ashburn. Creighton's Corner ES has 1174 with a program capacity of 942; an additional 99 kids are "overflowed". Some kids have speech and occupational therapy in the hallways, and very little time for lunch because of the crowded shifts.

This will be alleviated somewhat next year with the new boundaries, although Legacy will still be overcrowded (1004/952 projected). Creighton's Corner will start out undercapacity (769/942 projected) but will be overcrowded again by Fall 2015. The schools are doing well, but their limits have been tested the last few years. And it doesn't matter if the school is good or not if you can't even get your kids in because their grade is on overflow and you didn't get to kindergarten registration at 5 a.m.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:33 AM

India - in which case, with a child in an elementary school here in the Aldie area I would say the parental involvement, etc, is outstanding. Excellent schools here.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:33 AM

89 posts, read 179,273 times
I'm black and grew up in Ashburn. I lived there from 1988 until 2010. I have to say, when I first got there as a child, it was not diverse. At all. There was me and another asian girl and that was all the diversity in my grade. But I never had any racial issues, except as someone mentioned above, asking about my hair. By the time I graduated high school a decade ago, it was a lot more diverse (ethnically and economically) and when I left 2 years ago, it was even moreso. I have to say the only racial problems I encountered were from other black students who felt that some of the other black students "acted too white". That was when I was in high school, so I don't know if that is still an issue anymore.

Also, the high schools don't pull from outside areas any longer. When I was there, they pulled from parts of Sterling and the Arcola/Aldie area. Now I'm pretty sure they all just pull from Ashburn.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:34 AM

cdmurphy is correct, what is happening is major shuffling. Expect it to go on for quite a while. Eventually i'm sure it will happen here in Aldie as well, but another reason why it feels good to already have our high school that has room to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia