Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 PM

9,888 posts, read 14,171,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Job security and advancement is an important reason why many people come to the DC metro.

very true....and some people like to see the seasons change, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM

8,985 posts, read 21,199,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
very true....and some people like to see the seasons change, too.
Well yeah, there's that.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,344,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
It just seems like I am getting so little house for so much money, its hard to accept this. I also know my family life would tank if I am working 8-9 hours then a 3-4 hour commute.
That's definitely something to consider. We had bought a new home in Prince William County 11 years ago and commuted to Fairfax County. It was in a brand new HOA community with clubhouse and pool. It was at least a 40 minute drive for each of us daily. We then moved to a home in Springfield MUCH closer to our workplaces. The house is 43 years old. We joined the closest swim club, which is just a few houses away. Our quality of life is much better now that I'm not spending 80 minutes a day on the road.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,344,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
It is a conundrum that many households face when moving here. To paraphrase another member, when it comes to housing cost, housing size/quality and work commute, one often must pick two. A compromise of some sort will be necessary. The supply of housing is lower than the demand from the relatively steady and well-compensated job market.

A $500K housing budget will certainly go much further in the Tampa Bay area; one important question may be how will your career be able to advance after accepting a position there. Job security and advancement is an important reason why many people come to the DC metro.
Another thing I often wonder is if the pay would be comparable. Sure. I could move somewhere else where the housing costs are 50% less, but if my salary is cut by the same amount, then what good is moving? Now, if someone can move and have a net gain between their housing cost and salary differences, well then it may be a no brainier.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:31 PM

In your situation, it might be best to find a home with as short a commute to the Leesburg employer as possible. In the case that there is a school emergency, one of you will be able to pick up the kid(s) in a relatively short time. It will mean a longer commute for you but there are Loudoun County commuter buses that will take you pretty close to your DC employer. It would still be a bit of a slog for you, but at least you will have the option of sleeping/working instead of "white-knuckling" it through traffic.

Eastern Loudoun County in general (from about Leesburg due east) is more likely to have the newer construction you seek at your preferred price point. I'll let others with more direct knowledge about Loudoun County Public Schools to expound on that subject...but the forum consensus seems to be that while they are collectively not quite the same caliber as Fairfax County Public School, they are still above-average for Northern Virginia and the country in general. Overcrowding and shifting school boundaries could be an issue as growth in Loudoun is exploding.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Another thing I often wonder is if the pay would be comparable. Sure. I could move somewhere else where the housing costs are 50% less, but if my salary is cut by the same amount, then what good is moving? Now, if someone can move and have a net gain between their housing cost and salary differences, well then it may be a no brainier.
Good points. I suppose that I'm assuming that their NOVA housing budget would be the same as their St. Petersburg housing budget...but I could be wrong.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:47 PM

564 posts, read 1,495,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Now, if someone can move and have a net gain between their housing cost and salary differences, well then it may be a no brainier.
Even so, I am not so sure I would make the trade off if I had a better salary/COL ratio elsewhere. If I have a family to support, what happens when I lose my job, which might have been the only of its kind in town? Could be forced to uproot my family and come back here anyway. I drive past tens of companies on my way into the office that I could potentially work for. Many other metropolitan areas don't have anywhere near as many openings in my field as we do here. It's nice to know that if I get to the point where I'm really sick of my company for some reason, or they get sick of me, I could get another job.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:47 PM

693 posts, read 1,140,725 times
Thank you all for your comments they have been very similar to the ones my wife and I have been kicking around.

The pluses to DC are huge for us, unlimited advancement potential, much higher pay, close to all of our family (2-8hrs drive) and the SEASONS!

Tampa would be with the same employer and job security would be equal but advancement would be limited and we know no one, as a household I estimate 50k less yearly and was looking at homes in the 400's whereas in DC I was looking in 500's. I could probably afford more but I have a payment in my mind that is comfortable and want to stay within it.

I also would be remaining in the trenches so to say as far as work if I go to Tampa but if I go to DC I would move into BIG picture stuff and be able to develop professionally. I cringe at the thought of remaining in my technical position when I return, I have been doing it for long enough.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,958,343 times
With three kiddos at home, I would think that a short commute would be valuable. More of a chance to watch their soccer games, volunteer in their classrooms, or pick them up if they get sick. More time to help with homework after school, more energy to make dinner in the evening, etc. If you're willing to compromise on the size/age of your house, I think you can find the rest of your desires in Fairfax, Burke, Springfield, etc.

Yeah, you'll cringe when you watch HGTV shows in Texas or Tampa (I get so angry that people expect granite countertops on a $200k budget!), but you'll be in good company.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,318,304 times
If the Inova job was definitely in Leesburg, you could make Ashburn/eastern Loudoun work for you if you are only going in to the city twice a week. The Loudoun commuter bus is very popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia