Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:51 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,204,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
While the job has been great in almost every other regard
Since you may be deciding to leave because of the low salary, it literally does no harm to approach your boss(es) and frankly say "I am underpaid w.r.t. the local industry, how about giving me a significant raise?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 03:09 PM

199 posts, read 334,814 times
OP, I was just in a very similar situation as you. Had spent the last four years (with good performance reviews at each one) with a company doing web development, found out I was severely underpaid, and tried to get them to bring me up to market rate at my last performance review. I was happy with everything else at the job, but no one wants to be WAY underpaid. They wouldn't budge, so I went out and got a job offer within two months that increased my salary by 20% /humblebrag

The point is, if you've got five years of experience, and are a good Java dev, DEFINITELY start sending out job applications and testing the waters, if you haven't already. I suspect that if you have a decent resume, and interview well, you would get quite a bit of interest, in the 80,000-100,000 range (although the higher end of that would likely need a clearance)

Old 03-04-2013, 03:50 PM

173 posts, read 498,559 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies all.

Yeah I'm at 70k with good benefits. I'm really ticked off that the salary is THAT low.

While the job has been great in almost every other regard, it seems like the salary issue has finally crossed the line.
When I graduated with MS Comp. Science 7 years ago and moved to this area I started with 65k. After coming here I realized I was at least 10k underpaid. Next 3 years I hit 73k with annual increases. Then I jumped ship and got a 25% raise with my current company. First year got a decent raise around 7% and since then 3 - 3.5% annually. I still feel a bit underpaid but the benefits we get are probably one of the best in the area. If you are looking for new offers do consider the benefits in your total package calculations. Good luck!!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 PM

248 posts, read 702,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metclubin View Post
When I graduated with MS Comp. Science 7 years ago and moved to this area I started with 65k. After coming here I realized I was at least 10k underpaid. Next 3 years I hit 73k with annual increases. Then I jumped ship and got a 25% raise with my current company. First year got a decent raise around 7% and since then 3 - 3.5% annually. I still feel a bit underpaid but the benefits we get are probably one of the best in the area. If you are looking for new offers do consider the benefits in your total package calculations. Good luck!!
That's enough to tell me that I still need to switch.

You got me beat quite hard as it took me 5 years to hit 70k (I have just a bachelor's). With that 25% raise plus you say the benefits are ALSO really good with that higher salary, that tells me that I really got to leave. This angers me a lot but thanks so much for letting me know as this is GREAT information.

I also consider benefits too but thanks for the reminder. What counts a lot for me is health insurance. Even though I'm young and healthy, I also play a lot of sports and it's nice to know I have great health insurance if I get any injuries. Of course, I could just "grow up" with nearly every one of my friends, stop playing sports, and become a fat#%@. But I'm not that smart I guess. * shrug *

Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 PM

262 posts, read 842,354 times
how much would you expect in a raise for a promotion? - AnandTech Forums

Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,204,103 times
Here's a recent survey - nationwide but you can expect Northern Virginia to be at LEAST as good as the averages: IT Salary Survey 2013: 11 Career Insights - Global-cio - Executive

Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,324,801 times
Quote:
That's enough to tell me that I still need to switch.

You got me beat quite hard as it took me 5 years to hit 70k (I have just a bachelor's). With that 25% raise plus you say the benefits are ALSO really good with that higher salary, that tells me that I really got to leave. This angers me a lot but thanks so much for letting me know as this is GREAT information.

I also consider benefits too but thanks for the reminder. What counts a lot for me is health insurance. Even though I'm young and healthy, I also play a lot of sports and it's nice to know I have great health insurance if I get any injuries. Of course, I could just "grow up" with nearly every one of my friends, stop playing sports, and become a fat#%@. But I'm not that smart I guess. * shrug *
I would echo what others said and if you enjoy your job and company, approach them about a raise before just leaving. I've moved on from several jobs in the past due to wanting more money and also more responsibility. It's pretty normal nowadays. But if your unhappiness is solely due to money I'd talk to them. It costs alot to hire/train people. It's much cheaper to retain good employees. You may be surprised how much they'd be willing to increase your salary to keep you. Figure out what you want and then get some support for that salary perhaps from some of the websites other people have posted in this thread and show it to them.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,589,283 times
70k with no clearance doesn't sound THAT low

Old 04-22-2013, 07:50 AM

248 posts, read 702,163 times
Thanks again for the replies all and even the late replies. I'm still working the old job. I'll admit I've gotten lazy about it because I'm in a situation where I'm not doing bad at all, but I'm not totally thriving either.

I'll probably start applying soon and then maybe ask for more money from the job I have now if I find an offer I like.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,523,525 times
Salary.com is pretty accurate in that regard.

Dont worry - you will probably get very good raises -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia