Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times

Advertisements

This has bothered me for YEARS!! When you come off of the Dulles Toll Road (heading westbound) and then go north on Reston Parkway, there is a turn lane that turns into it's own drive lane. Technically, there is no merge necessary. Yet, there is a yield sign! Does that mean I am (legally) supposed to yield to people that will be coming into my lane? That doesn't sound right.....

(I've attached a picture to show what I mean...)
Attached Thumbnails
Yield Signs-yield-sign_page_01.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
This has bothered me for YEARS!! When you come off of the Dulles Toll Road (heading westbound) and then go north on Reston Parkway, there is a turn lane that turns into it's own drive lane. Technically, there is no merge necessary. Yet, there is a yield sign! Does that mean I am (legally) supposed to yield to people that will be coming into my lane? That doesn't sound right.....

(I've attached a picture to show what I mean...)

The only thing that I can think of as to why they would put a yield sign up for that is because they know that the drivers on Reston Parkway are going to immediately get over into that right lane (as another poster described above) and the Yield sign, to me, indicates that they have the right to do so over your right to be in that lane.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM

47 posts, read 69,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
There's a yield sign at the Claiborne Parkway onramp because the lane isn't just a merge lane, it's also the exit lane for Claiborne Parkway. There isn't much distance there for people who have to get over to get off. You aren't just yielding to Route 7, you are yielding to people exiting Route 7.
Yup... In Louisville, I experienced the exact same thing except with much more volume. 1 highway to the next one.

40272 - Google Maps

And it worked out better than a yield sign because you didn't have some people stopping because they are unsure, some people going really slow, some people flying through it ignoring it, and other cases. People just merged...

Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 AM

4,435 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
No, not in the situation you describe.

I know you don't live in Woodbridge, but we have two places where we have what you are discussing.

Driving west on Cardinal Drive and making the right onto Minnieville. You have a dedicated right turn lane that dumps into its own lane. Right next to it, there are two lanes of traffic oncoming with their own lanes. I do not have a yield sign but a diamond-shaped yellow sign that showes two lanes divided with arrows to indicate to the driver in the right (merging) lane, that they have their own lane. No yield sign there.
I know that turn you're speaking of, but some people still pause there. I think it's habit because that turn didn't always have a dedicated merge lane: Woodbridge, VA - Google Maps

Here's one from I95 to Duke Street near Landmark Mall. Who is suppose to yield? Those coming off I95, or those trying to get into the lane on the right...
landmark, va - Google Maps

Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
It is ridiculous how people turning left will immediately after they're through the intersection go across 3 or 4 lanes to get into the right lane. In my mind you should have to stay in the lane corresponding to the one you've turned from and then cross the lanes using your right turn signal only when the lane to the right is clear, just like any other lane change.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It is ridiculous how people turning left will immediately after they're through the intersection go across 3 or 4 lanes to get into the right lane. In my mind you should have to stay in the lane corresponding to the one you've turned from and then cross the lanes using your right turn signal only when the lane to the right is clear, just like any other lane change.
If I do that, the idiots behind me will turn into those lanes and prevent me from getting over safely. There are also many places where you have to make another turn right after the first turn.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
The only thing that I can think of as to why they would put a yield sign up for that is because they know that the drivers on Reston Parkway are going to immediately get over into that right lane (as another poster described above) and the Yield sign, to me, indicates that they have the right to do so over your right to be in that lane.
While I agree with you, and follow the sign (yielding to the others), it still doesn't make any sense. I understand that many people might want to get into "my lane". But it goes against standard driving rules to give them the right of way. Furthermore, these drivers have no way of knowing they have the right of way (to blindly merge into the lane next to them), so I imagine many of them might yield. I can't imagine this situation is really safe.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,212 times
I know of two locations with strange signs.

1. Yield sign for RIGHT turning lane on FF county pkwy southbound at Stringfellow intersection. The sign does not sit right at intersection and could cause trouble for unfamiliar drivers. Technically, because of this yield sign, you are supposed to yield to opposite traffic making left turn when you are turning right into Stringfellow.

2. Stop sign on Walker Lane in Springfield. Sign is not a problem but idiotic drivers are. Traffic on 289 (Franconia Springfield pkwy) northbound is on 3 outer lanes. There are two additional lane which start from Walker lane for exiting traffic into the parkway. It's a stop sign with designated lanes, so once you stop, you go and get up to speed and merge into 3 outer lanes. But most drivers just sit there with line of cars behind them, waiting until there is absolutely no more traffic on the parkway before exiting. It's irritating and frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia