Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 PM
MW2 MW2 started this thread

12 posts, read 93,729 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone had any insight/advice/opinions about Cameron Station in Alexandria, VA. I heard a few different things, like it has great amenities, but the houses are poorly built and right outside the community is not a nice area, also someone said there is train tracks that run right behind some houses and that there is a garbage plant that if you drive by you can see all the smoke just billowing out. Now keeping in mind the few individuals I did hear this from don't live there or in Alexandria, this is just what they have heard.

So I thought I would ask if anyone here would be able to offer insight on Cameron Station. Thank you in advance for your help. Please take care.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 05:05 AM

30 posts, read 187,836 times
I took a gander into cameron station this weekend- it's built in the style of a very communal environment, with no yards and townhomes spaced closely together. I thought it was a beautiful neighborhood, although it is situated next to some not as nice areas in West Alexandria.

It's across from the central library, and near the new Harris Teeter's at Foxchase shopping center.

There were some townhomes in the less expensive range that didn't seem quite as well built as the million dollar ones they were building near the elementary school located inwards. However, most of them have brick on 3 sides, and that's pretty decent.

The condos, the Residences at Cameron Station, seemed pretty well built, although the condo fees do not cover any sort of utilities.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:26 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,753 times
I believe it's an asphalt plant, not garbage plant and yes, the community is suing the plant over the emission amount that it generates.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:32 PM

Thank you ptoguy for sharing about your visit to Cameron Station! We will really have to think about how we would feel being situated right next to areas that are not nice. Honestly I don't know if it would bother me that much as long as it was not a high crime/drug area, but still I think a lot of thought would have to be put into it and research. Again I appreciate your input.

lqda4 thank you for clearing that up for me, lol I don't suppose asphalt plant is any better. So interesting that the community is suing, I wonder if the plant was built after the community was there.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:12 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
As to your question, the asphalt plant was there long before Cameron Station, those folks knew what they were in for. I like it to visit (check out the farmer's market, walk, sit by the lake, etc.) but it's not for us to live (we don't want condo./TH living) - but I get a real sense of community when visiting there. The people that live there seem to be very friendly and have beautifully landscaped homes.

I'm not sure what people are saying about "bad" areas near there - there is a rental area that's "so-so" but we live in the West End and it's a very quiet community, alot of folks have lived in their homes for 30+ yrs. SF, 1/2-1/3 acre mostly, but I feel safe walking alone (and I'm a very petite person).

I think you have to get a feel for it and if it feels right, then go for it.

(Or wait until next year and buy our house )

Old 10-23-2007, 07:01 PM

The plant was there long before the Army returned the land to the county (late '90?). However I don't think the newcomers merely sue to shut the plant down. They sue because they found out the plant broke the agreement on emission, I think.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:11 PM

Here is Cameron Station history:
Cameron Station

Old 10-23-2007, 07:26 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
I haven't been down there in a while, but there has been an incinerator (trash plant?) there since at least the late 60's.

It's on Eisenhower, near Van Dorn St. Next door to UPS.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:43 AM

Thanks Flamingo13 for the insight! When you say houses with 1/3 - 1/2 acre in the West End, where is that? Sorry I am not familiar with where the West end is, or the neighborhoods there.

lqda4 thank you for the interesting link.

car54 that must be what my friend was talking about because he said he use to work near Eisenhower and sometimes the wind would blow just right and the smell wasn't pleasant.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:23 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW2 View Post
Thanks Flamingo13 for the insight! When you say houses with 1/3 - 1/2 acre in the West End, where is that? Sorry I am not familiar with where the West end is, or the neighborhoods there.

lqda4 thank you for the interesting link.

car54 that must be what my friend was talking about because he said he use to work near Eisenhower and sometimes the wind would blow just right and the smell wasn't pleasant.
We personally are in the DaleCrest section, it's about a mile from Cameron Station, there are also some other "sections", not sure of all the names. West End is considered to be the area West of Old Town Alex. but still in Alexandria City (as opposed to the parts of Alexandria that are in Fairfax County). The homes West of Quaker Lane, which "divides" Duke St. as far as I now, mostly have .08 - .50 acre lots (single family homes that is).

My neighborhood has homes built in the 50s, most have been upgraded (obviously) - the neighborhood behind Foxchase Shopping Center (between my area and Cameron Station) - have more varied home styles, along with more varied, and usually higher, prices, but also a very nice area.

Convenient to so much: Old Town, 395/95, Arlington, DC, Falls Church, Springfield, etc. - many stores and things in the area - I personally think most people are friendly (maybe you have to make the first "friendly comment") - As far as I know there is NO crime in this semi-enclosed area - I get the crime reports and read the general ones...

Feel free to ask any questions or send me a message. Good luck in your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia