Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 04:21 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,729,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Yes, tell us please if you'd like. Not here to criticize...just learn. Thanks
Check her other posts and you can figure it out yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 04:25 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,672,093 times
No spoon feed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
Check her other posts and you can figure it out yourself.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:47 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,729,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
No spoon feed me.
Lansdale, Pennsylvania

Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 AM

708 posts, read 1,206,957 times
The tax system is faulty and COL should absolutly play a part. Despite all of the propoganda that is pushed out by politicians, the tax system penalizes high income workers. Its also apparent in the thread (and has already been mentioned) that understandings of the tax code are all over the map.

Living in DC is tough because the income is high, but the housing cost is equally high, and as has been noted you are pinched by AMT, and other taxes which erode takehome income. Its really a problem, but of course if you watch the news "Oh you are rich, so an extra 30K wont hurt you or your family"

Total lack of empathy and understanding of finance IMO.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:53 PM

23 posts, read 34,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
but the stability of employment is hard to find anywhere else
For now. Keep in mind that this area has an unhealthy economic dependence on Federal spending. If that spending ever stops increasing...or stagnates...this area will experience problems.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:35 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,672,093 times
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
Lansdale, Pennsylvania

Old 04-06-2013, 07:48 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,520,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabscuttle385 View Post
For now. Keep in mind that this area has an unhealthy economic dependence on Federal spending. If that spending ever stops increasing...or stagnates...this area will experience problems.
OTOH, people still have to have something to move out to.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,153,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Most people in NoVA/DC/MD would probably *not* be able to secure another job with the same or higher income to a different part of the country (like Oklahoma or Maine). If it were obvious that the same opportunities for high-paying jobs were available in other regions of the US, we'd probably see fewer people living in/moving to NoVA/DC.
Although this may be true to a large number of people, the implication that people only live here for a higher income is not. It might come as a surprise to someone who disliked the area intensely and left, but quite a few people want to live here and take a pay cut to do so.

For example, because of the economics of the field of medicine, many physicians would make a lot more money in less desirable areas than they do in NoVA. Yet they choose to forego higher income to live here. Some folks would rather be mildly wealthy in a very affluent, desirable area than be rich in a poor area. (I count myself in that category -- although my income would be the same no matter where I go, my tax liability is slightly higher here than in some other states.)

Of course, the opposite is true for some folks who have to, just have to, live in an area where they have bigger homes than their neighbors. I know at least one doctor who grew up here in NoVA, but live elsewhere because, in his own words, "I don't want to live next to people who make half of my income, but bought homes 15 years earlier."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia