Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:44 PM

15 posts, read 23,827 times

Advertisements

I am a stay at home mom to a 2 year old toddler. We are relocating from Florida. My husband will be working in the Warrenton area and is staying temporarily in Herndon until we move up with him. My question is where would be good places for us to look at to live. We would like to live in an area with good schools and lots of activities for kids. As well as younger families since we are in our late 20s. I prefer an area that is a little more fast paced than Warrenton and maybe a little closer to the city although it doesn't need to be that close either. We would like to stay under $650,000. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 04:47 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,672,676 times
Depending on what area of Florida you are moving from (especially if it is from South Florida) get ready for a complete change in environment (not a culture shock that would be a misnomer).

If you have that kind of income/latitude I'd move to one of the inner suburbs...but there again you'd have to reverse commute to Warrenton.

650k?? Live like a king in many suburbs/exurbs I'd think...don't know about the inner suburbs though.

South Stafford/North Fredericksburg area off of 17 maybe? I don't know that will be more fast paced than Warrenton though. Manassas maybe? What defines fast pace to you? More urban?

Activities for kids? Like? I think it is pretty boring for kids where I live so we just sort of do our own thing.

I'd like to help, but don't think I am doing a very good job. Warrenton is not the most moved to location for work around here.

What sort of commute would you like to or be willing to handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMommy22 View Post
I am a stay at home mom to a 2 year old toddler. We are relocating from Florida. My husband will be working in the Warrenton area and is staying temporarily in Herndon until we move up with him. My question is where would be good places for us to look at to live. We would like to live in an area with good schools and lots of activities for kids. As well as younger families since we are in our late 20s. I prefer an area that is a little more fast paced than Warrenton and maybe a little closer to the city although it doesn't need to be that close either. We would like to stay under $650,000. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :-)

Old 03-31-2013, 06:00 AM

15 posts, read 23,827 times
He says the commute now from Herndon is fine for him because he is usually going the opposite of most of the traffic so I think anything east of where he works is doable. He doesn't mind a longer commute for a good location.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:03 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,672,676 times
What defines fast paced or things to do for kids in your eyes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMommy22 View Post
He says the commute now from Herndon is fine for him because he is usually going the opposite of most of the traffic so I think anything east of where he works is doable. He doesn't mind a longer commute for a good location.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:21 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,255,297 times
Reston is an option you should consider. The METRO is arriving later this year and will make it easy for trips to DC.
Welcome to Reston Association

In your price range detached houses in Reston usually sell really quickly and may be a little dated in need of updating.
11314 FRENCH HORN LN, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
1828 POST OAK TRL, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

If you are interested in a townhouse - there will be many options and often lakefront on Lake Audubon or Thoreau.
11056 THRUSH RIDGE RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Old 03-31-2013, 02:35 PM

8,985 posts, read 21,201,008 times
How about the Bristow/Gainesville/Haymarket area? That area will have lots of younger families and most of your basic conveniences. The schools in the area are said to be among the better in Prince William County.

Living in Herndon, you'd be paying a premium for housing given the proximity to two major job centers: the Dulles Corridor and Tysons Corner. Granted, Fairfax County Public Schools are generally the most sought-after in the region - which is also a factor in the housing price - and Tysons Corner is legendary for its upscale shopping, not to mention it's shopping.

Centreville, just inside Fairfax County, might be a compromise of sorts between my previous two suggestions.

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-01-2013 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 03-31-2013, 09:48 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,150,057 times
I would see if you can stand Warrenton and go from there. Warrenton would keep his commute short and be less expensive real estate wise.

If you want a city feel you will have to go DC or possibly Arlington. Your child is young so you could rent for a year and get a feel for the area, no worries about schools yet.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:49 AM

8,985 posts, read 21,201,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
I would see if you can stand Warrenton and go from there. Warrenton would keep his commute short and be less expensive real estate wise.

If you want a city feel you will have to go DC or possibly Arlington. Your child is young so you could rent for a year and get a feel for the area, no worries about schools yet.
^Great advice. A short commute is an opportunity to be treasured around here.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,270,863 times
Bristow/Haymarket/Gainesville will be a very short commute to Warrenton. The area is extremely family friendly and has a lot of conveniences close together and kid centric activities. I would rent in the area first to get a feel if it's too far from DC or not faced paced enough.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:44 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,463,243 times
You can get a big beautiful home out in Warrenton in the 550-650k range. Now most people move out there for just that reason and then put up with a miserable commute inward, so it's rare to hear of the job actually being located there as well.

While reverse commutes are nice, I wouldn't go overboard and make it too long, since every year they're getting worse and worse, and the longer distance you have to cover, the more chance some accident or another could screw things up on a given day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia