Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 PM

19 posts, read 56,755 times

Advertisements

OK, I know my question might be a little complicated. My husband and I are planning to relocate to NOVA in late summer. He is working overseas and will not be back until late September, but we would like for me to go ahead and, provided I get a teaching job, move so that I can start the school year on time. Our problem is that he will likely not know before my move exactly where he will be working. Likely it will be Mclean, Reston, or Crystal City. We're thinking of living somewhere in Fairfax Co and I'm applying to the school system. My first inclination is to rent something that is convenient to my school for 6 months, and then buy somewhere we know is a reasonable commute for both of us once we know where he will be working. However, if we do need to buy, is there any place that would be somewhat central to all three places? We know the commute woes, so he's expecting at least an hour each way. Obviously we have a lot of variables here, but I'm just curious where we should be looking. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 07:02 PM

488 posts, read 1,746,994 times
hm...

Mclean is about the same distance from Reston as it is from Crystal City, traffic is what will make a difference.

Fairfax County is big. Personally I would rent first, get to know the area and commute for both of you a bit, and then buy.

You dont want to buy in a hurry.

Where would your husband be working?

If he is going to be working say in DC, and you could get a job with Arlington County Schools, then I would stick to Mclean/Arlington area.
Plenty of rental options in those areas as well, to get to know the area.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:02 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times
To be honest, I would suggest you rent first (even if it's for 6 months) before buying, particularly if you haven't lived here before. We once made the mistake of buying a home during a house-hunting trip by relying on our family's advice (since they had been long-time residents in the area). While the home was very nice, it wouldn't have been our choice given our commute. At the time, I couldn't imagine moving twice with toddler and dogs. Never again. Get to know the area and then pick your place to live permanently. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:53 AM

247 posts, read 688,057 times
Arlington Public Schools is having a job fair on Sat. March 28 at Wakefield HS...

Old 01-23-2009, 07:03 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
I agree that McLean is centrally located between the three potential towns. It's also one of the most affluent areas in an already expensive county. So, without knowing how much your household income may be, there may be other choices to consider. Places like Vienna, Oakton and Falls Church would provide a comfortable community while being fairly convenient to the aforementioned towns.

As an FYI, my ladyfriend who teaches in FCPS says that Special Ed opportunities are one of the few not subject to budget cuts or hiring freezes.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferTN View Post
OK, I know my question might be a little complicated. My husband and I are planning to relocate to NOVA in late summer. He is working overseas and will not be back until late September, but we would like for me to go ahead and, provided I get a teaching job, move so that I can start the school year on time. Our problem is that he will likely not know before my move exactly where he will be working. Likely it will be Mclean, Reston, or Crystal City. We're thinking of living somewhere in Fairfax Co and I'm applying to the school system. My first inclination is to rent something that is convenient to my school for 6 months, and then buy somewhere we know is a reasonable commute for both of us once we know where he will be working. However, if we do need to buy, is there any place that would be somewhat central to all three places? We know the commute woes, so he's expecting at least an hour each way. Obviously we have a lot of variables here, but I'm just curious where we should be looking. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:33 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Vienna, close to the Metro. The commute to McLean would be only 15 or 20 minutes. Reston, the same time, in the opposite direction. Crystal City, take the metro. Vienna is very central, a nice family town, and very convenient.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:52 PM

19 posts, read 56,755 times
Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! Fingers crossed that we'll know well ahead of time where he'll be working and it won't be an issue, but it's nice to know we have options!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia