Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:15 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,262,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlien2010 View Post
How did you find roommates? I've reluctantly gone the Craigslist route with no real responses.
Look on roomates.com. That's how I found my roomate.

There is also another website called easyroomate.com. I have no idea how legit it is.

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy the DMV area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 AM

540 posts, read 793,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Benz View Post
Woodbridge is your best bet for that salary
She isn't looking to buy though. No way I'd rent in Woodbridge to work in Tyson's/Mclean

The rental situation all depends on comfort levels. Are you comfortable finding roommates online without even meeting them? Are you comfortable living in a building where many people don't speak English? I did both of those when I moved to this area from Minnesota, and fared well. But, of course, it may be a little easier for a male.

I just did a quick browse on craigslist. I can't vouch for any of these links as legit, but it gives you an idea of prices

Merrifield (All Utilities Included) - Condo in Merrifield, which is just south of Tyson's. $1450, utilities incl.

Basement Apartment with separate entrance - Basement apartment that must be somewhere near where I live (and I love my neighborhood). Again very easy commute to Tyson's or to Mclean. $1050.

Super Updated Condo - Hardwood Floors - Stainless Steel - 1 RSVD Park - Condo near Tysons. $1395

1 Bdrm Suite/ Apt in 1.5 Acre House - Room in house just west of Tysons. A lot of people around here buy but need to have the extra rental income to cover the mortgage. $970

Again, I'm not suggesting any of these, but I just wanted to point out that it may not be necessary to have a rotten commute in your situation. Renting gives you a heck of a lot more flexibility than buying.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:29 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,367,416 times
Quote:
I appreciate everyone's suggestions and advice!

I've decided to accept! I was offered 5K more, so now im looking for places to live.

Finding a roommate/affordable housing has been rough. Its hard for me to figure out how much rent I can afford.

I've set a budget of about $1200-$1300 but it seems so low. Is $1400/mo rent doable?

I've been looking in Fairfax, Centreville, Herndon, and Alexandria.
Now we talkin’! 5K more = $50K per year = definitely makes a difference and gives you a lot more flexibility, as compared to 45K

Assuming that your take home pay will be approx.. $3000ish per month (very rough estimate here), I would budget up to a maximum of $1400 in rent…to include utilities and cableTV internet.

From the areas you mentioned above, I would mainly look into Fairfax and expand that search to the Leesburg Pike corridor of Falls Church. Cant think of any specific apt communities that I could recommend to you, but these are mostly garden style apts with fairly affordable rents. They may not be prime in regards to luxury living with all top notch amenities, but from a safety perspective I don’t think you will have any problems.

Good luck and welcome to the area! Do keep us posted on what you find

Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 AM

31 posts, read 45,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Where exactly is your office located? (more specific than "McLean")

This determines what your commute will be like, which will then determine the places you would want to do consider in your price range. Don't underestimate trying to minimize your commute (or finding public transit) - it can eat at both your pocketbook and your sanity.

For example, if it's in Tysons Corner, you will be able to take advantage of Metro Silver Line at the end of this year, plus a whole bunch of bus options. If it's downtown McLean, it's a different story.
And if you have to drive, having 495, 66 or 267 be your major route in will give you different experiences.
I will be working right near Tysons Galleria.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:54 AM

How is a commute from Leesburg, VA to Tysons Corner?

Is Leesburg a good place for a single, young professional?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,525,907 times
Quote:
How is a commute from Leesburg, VA to Tysons Corner?

Is Leesburg a good place for a single, young professional?
Better than most places in Loudoun/Western Fairfax to be sure, especially if you can snag a rental near downtown.

If you're 25 and expect to be partying/hooking up with new women every night, you'll be disappointed unless you're an absolute Lothario.

If you're 35 and like catching some live music 1-2x a week, having a beer or two with friends after work, and maybe go hiking on Saturday morning, it'll be better.

It's a fraction of the lively that Ballston would be.

Commute-wise it's doable if you leave early (as in before 730am) and take 7-28-267 or leave very early (as in before 6am) and just take 7. The opening of Reston Metro later this year should help in that regard.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Better than most places in Loudoun/Western Fairfax to be sure, especially if you can snag a rental near downtown.

If you're 25 and expect to be partying/hooking up with new women every night, you'll be disappointed unless you're an absolute Lothario.

If you're 35 and like catching some live music 1-2x a week, having a beer or two with friends after work, and maybe go hiking on Saturday morning, it'll be better.

It's a fraction of the lively that Ballston would be.

Commute-wise it's doable if you leave early (as in before 730am) and take 7-28-267 or leave very early (as in before 6am) and just take 7. The opening of Reston Metro later this year should help in that regard.
Well, Im a woman, so Im not looking to do that lol

I just would like to meet people around my age since I'll be new to the area.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:08 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,707,378 times
I'm not hugely familiar with Leesburg; however, it screams SUBURB to me and FAMILY. For someone not from this area looking to easily connect with people your own age in the same position as you, I would tend to not live in Leesburg. I'm worried you may run into some of the issues that SteelCityRising had in Reston--another very nice suburb.

My recommendation would definitely be to look in the Ballston/Clarendon/Arlington area. More expensive but I think you may be able to network better with people your own age. You won't be able to live alone though. As I said upthread, my friend's daughter did it with a roommate on $45,000 (no car payment and loans though). Her rent was about $900 per month.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm not hugely familiar with Leesburg; however, it screams SUBURB to me and FAMILY. For someone not from this area looking to easily connect with people your own age in the same position as you, I would tend to not live in Leesburg. I'm worried you may run into some of the issues that SteelCityRising had in Reston--another very nice suburb.

My recommendation would definitely be to look in the Ballston/Clarendon/Arlington area. More expensive but I think you may be able to network better with people your own age. You won't be able to live alone though. As I said upthread, my friend's daughter did it with a roommate on $45,000 (no car payment and loans though). Her rent was about $900 per month.
Yeah, the name Leesburg sounded a little suburb-y hahaha.

The roommate route is not going to well. Either no one gets back to me or its a situation I'm not comfortable with. I've been looking for an apartment with a max budget of $1300 but it seems impossible.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,707,378 times
Have you seen these:

Need 2 Roomies-Share 3BR. ALL UTILITIES/PARKNG INCL! Great Location!

BIG Room in a 4 Bedroom House in Arlington near Clarendon

Master Bedroom Available in Meridian at Courthouse

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...778562220.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia