Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlien2010 View Post
I truly feel that this would be a better opportunity for me, and since its being offered, I feel like I would regret not doing it because of all the what-ifs.
Take the leap, live as far below your means as you are comfortable, and worst case scenario you move back to Atlanta after a year if things aren't working out. If you are unhappy and this has upward potential, then it sounds like a smart choice. I think people just want to make sure you know what you are signing up for!

Check Craigslist for basement apartment rentals too--I have a friend who found one of those in Springfield for a reasonable (by DC standards) rate, and it would give you roommate-free living if that is a priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Quote:
I truly feel that this would be a better opportunity for me, and since its being offered, I feel like I would regret not doing it because of all the what-ifs.
The thing is you can always leave if you try it and end up not liking the area for whatever reason. But if you just stay in Atlanta because it's cheaper and easier than moving you may regret it down the road. I'm not necessarily advocating this area, there are plenty of great places to live in the USA. But it definitely sounds like you're not satisfied and want to make a move so do it. If you have a good job opportunity here then it sounds like a fine place to start.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:05 AM

725 posts, read 1,240,221 times
Quote:
thank you. you bring up good points.

I make about $10K less in Atlanta, and I dont have much disposable income. So it wouldn't be a new experience for me lol. Most of my income goes toward rent and utilities. I have just enough money left to eat and put gas in my car. I am kind of a homebody, but I would like to explore the area since it will be new to me. I actually moved back home to save some money.

Given this new information, I'm leaning a little bit more the other way now. You said before the job was kind of dead end, and if you're making 10K less there as opposed to making 10K more with more opportunity here then I'd be inclined to think you should go where the opportunity is despite the hardships.

Good luck, whatever decision you make!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:54 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times
Quote:
Could you explain? I really want some insight into this. What kind of salary would make this move feasible?
Well a number of folks have already beat me to the answer, and they're all spot on. Those who are saying that they made ends meet just fine on <$40K , I believe that must've been at least 4-5 years ago, if not more.

Cost of living here is outrageous compared to Atlanta. You stated you want to be in a place where you're around people of your age group - the first place that comes to my mind is Arlington, where a decent studio in a fairly average building is currently running at $1,300 /month.

Within the Tysons/Vienna/McLean vicinity the rents are going to be more or less the same - these areas arent ideal for single young professionals from a lifestyle perspective either.

Is there any room for you to negotiate an increase in salary? Even 50K + would make a difference, but with 55K+ I think you will be a lot more comfortable here and be able to enjoy the kinda lifestyle you want.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times
Further, along the lines of a potential salary increase, may I ask what kind of job /what industry are you pursuing this opportunity in? $45K seems pretty darn low for this area

Old 04-24-2013, 12:03 PM

31 posts, read 45,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Further, along the lines of a potential salary increase, may I ask what kind of job /what industry are you pursuing this opportunity in? $45K seems pretty darn low for this area
Its in marketing, with more of a role focusing on writing and graphic design. We are still negotiating, so i was just looking at my options based on the initial offer.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 PM

173 posts, read 497,507 times
Quote:
Its in marketing, with more of a role focusing on writing and graphic design. We are still negotiating, so i was just looking at my options based on the initial offer.
I agree with most of the comments you got regards to cost of living. I think the most challenging part is to get the rental with good roommate and low rent. You cannot live way too far because of the commute. Some of my friends have managed to get a basement rental for $500-600 in Herndon area which is not too bad a commute to McLean. My neighbor rents one of his bedroom for 550 in Fairfax. If you are still negotiating, try to get to 50k which might give you little more flexibility.

At your age, you can take the risk and try to move up the ladder, learn new skills, switch jobs and this area does have oppurtunities. If you are hard working and motivated it could be all worth it.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 PM

939 posts, read 1,892,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianExec View Post
45k salary will not even qualify you for apartments in Mclean and Vienna. Even renting room will run you between 600-800 in the area. I would suggest renting a room in a group house where the rent might be lower in Vienna/Falls Church/Reston areas. Get estabolished in your job, change companies in a year or two to get a higher salary, and take additional training in your profession to become more marketable.

You are moving into one of the top 10 most expensive housing markets in the USA. Living in Atlanta is almost free by comparison where you can get a decent SFH for under 150K.
Is that you McLean exec? Did your other account get banned? -1 on the originality.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Take the leap, live as far below your means as you are comfortable, and worst case scenario you move back to Atlanta after a year if things aren't working out. If you are unhappy and this has upward potential, then it sounds like a smart choice. I think people just want to make sure you know what you are signing up for!

This. The time to take these sorts of leaps is when you are young and single with no spousal job or children to consider. There are a LOT of people your age living in the DC area on salaries like yours, including one of my kids. He lives in a 2BR apt ($2100) in Arlington with two roommates, whom he met through a networking group. People find roommates through Craigslist or college alum groups or even FB, which may seem less like living with total strangers. If you have relatives or friends already living in the area, you might be able to couch-surf for a few weeks while you look for an apartment or group house situation.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:00 PM

540 posts, read 790,309 times
I'm a little surprised at the negativity in here. I moved here making $40k about 8 years ago. Did a blind move having never been to DC. Found a group house with a short-term lease on Craigslist (~$750). Ended up getting along with one of the other short-timers and finding a townhouse to rent together (~$1600 split). My wife (prior to me meeting her) was making about the same at the time and living in a $1000 1-br with student loan bills and doing fine. Even though there has been inflation since then, it can be done. I wonder what the average age of the negative commenters are - maybe they don't remember how much you can put up with as a 20-something

My advice - see if anyone at your company needs a roommate or if they know anybody who is looking. That might be less "scary" than craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia