Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 06:12 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,271,813 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm confused where all these people are supposed to live? It's not a question of "Build it and they will come" as obviously people wouldn't move here if there wasn't jobs. Closer in homes cost more $, that's not debatable. Are you suggesting that people that whine about traffic make Tysons's less dense? If in fact, Tyson's does become the urban center envisionsed, this would some how reduce the need for all the homes west of Tyson's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 06:16 PM

104 posts, read 153,806 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I-66 goes HOV at 6:30am inside the Beltway.

If you were able to leave at 5am, you'd be able to take the Greenway + 66 into DC fairly easily, possibly in an hour. It'd cost you $15 a day though.

You might be able to take 7 + 28 + the Toll Road and shave a good $10 off that daily commute, or maybe even 7 all the way into 66 and do it for free.

Signed,
resident of a 1970s split-foyer in Leesburg.

PS I saw your post in the Frederick forum -- I assume your budget can get you something nice in either the historic section of Frederick or Leesburg. $300k will get you a TH in the former and not much in the latter.
Thanks for the on-topic response. So by stating "I-66 goes HOV at 6:30am inside the Beltway" you are implying a 6:00AM departure will place me among the masses trying to beat the HOV cutoff?

We are most definitely looking at places in the historic sections of each locale -- appreciate the feedback.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 PM

Talking On Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
ahahahhha, are you serious? what good is your cookie cutter house if you are never there to enjoy it, perhaps you should do a short term rental you mind will change the first 2 weeks.
I asked for feedback on the commute, not criticism of my decision. And I am (as others have observed) looking at historic houses, not "cookie cutters".

Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM

9,894 posts, read 14,181,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
But transportation projects like the outer beltway only depress home values closer in, cause negative effects like etc etc etc (already listed some before).
A-ha!! Now I understand your motivation; it really is the same as everyone else's. It's not "roads through school paths or parks", it's home values! An outer beltway doesn't widen a single road in the inner suburb (usually your normal argument), so why do you care? Now I see that you care only about property values. (not that there is anything wrong with that, but don't pretend it's something else).

So, if we can't build an outer beltway, (which may decrease your property values), what are we allowed to do? Only move further west, once every single available home in your area is taken; thus keeping your values high?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:38 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,519,800 times
Tysonengineer - you are so right with your little play.

To the OP - everyone says they "can take the commute" when they first live here - until they know better. What happens if it even rains a little or there is an accident (happens all the time) - it will take you several hours to get home. And if you have kids - forget it - they will be sitting in daycare forever and you will miss them growing up.

And - many of those old ramblers and splits are totaly redone inside and have huge additions - take a look and you might be suprised.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post

To the OP - everyone says they "can take the commute" when they first live here - until they know better. What happens if it even rains a little or there is an accident (happens all the time) - it will take you several hours to get home. And if you have kids - forget it - they will be sitting in daycare forever and you will miss them growing up.
So, I'm lying when I say I can handle the commute without complaint?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
A-ha!! Now I understand your motivation; it really is the same as everyone else's. It's not "roads through school paths or parks", it's home values! An outer beltway doesn't widen a single road in the inner suburb (usually your normal argument), so why do you care? Now I see that you care only about property values. (not that there is anything wrong with that, but don't pretend it's something else).

So, if we can't build an outer beltway, (which may decrease your property values), what are we allowed to do? Only move further west, once every single available home in your area is taken; thus keeping your values high?
Home values? I am against the slum-ification of my neighborhood yes. Not artificially raising my home value. The point is that you create areas like inner springfield, the place I lived as a child. It used to be very nice, very scenic, close in enough for my parents jobs.

What happened is the interchange, I-95 expansion, and I-66. Springfield became the equivalent of a fly over state. Instead of utilizing the towns assets, roads were built so home builders further out could sell cheap homes for big profits.

THAT is the property value depreciation I am against.

Then again I am all for more units coming online in Tysons, increasing supply for the demand, so that that sprawl can be slowed. I am ALL for more options, more inner developments, all of which directly make my unit WORTH LESS, because why would someone pay more for an older unit than a newer unit. So please don't try to paint me out as a greedy land owner who is trying to artificially do anything.

My aim is benevolent, to stop the cycle of bad planning which is ruining peoples lives in this area and overall destroying any semblance of community in order to pave over and appease the gods of long commutes.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:52 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So, I'm lying when I say I can handle the commute without complaint?
Lying to yourself maybe. Eventually you'll get annoyed when you start counting the hours you will spend in traffic instead of at home. Your 8 hour days become 10 hour days become 12 hour days because of traffic. Eventually that will wear on you.

Or maybe you will be one of the responsible ones. You might understand you chose where to live fully knowing that it wasn't close to where the jobs are and realize that there are alternatives instead of building wider and wider roads which only will push development further west. I think some people in Loudoun are in fact turning that tide, demanding better transit and better bus services.

My point remains, those who demand the road be widened hurt those downstream as well as themselves later on.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 PM

Default Clarifications

Some clarifications, which I hope will illuminate my motivations (though know they could all well catalyze further criticism/irrelevant blather).

I am not moving an hour outside the District for a larger, cheaper, or newer home. I am interested in a moderate-sized, historic home, hence my interest in the areas of Leesburg and Frederick. I am not in pursuit of a townhouse, townhome, or any of the derivatives offered by the major development companies.

I am not afraid of a lengthy commute (to include days with accidents or bad weather) if it means not only having a nicer home but also giving my family a better quality of life. I have not been impressed with the quality of life closer to the District.

I might not necessarily be commuting five days a week -- I may take advantage of telework. So the assumption that I will have to bear an awful commute five days a week might not be valid.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Lying to yourself maybe. Eventually you'll get annoyed when you start counting the hours you will spend in traffic instead of at home. Your 8 hour days become 10 hour days become 12 hour days because of traffic. Eventually that will wear on you.
I'm certainly not lying to myself. I'm fully aware of the time it takes me to get to work. And I (a) either use that time productively, or (b) spend more time in the city (dinner, activities, etc) to avoid the worst of the traffic.

I'm not saying it is for everyone, but I'm getting annoyed at all of the people who say it can't be done. When I moved to Middleburg, I actually doubled the time of my commute. But, when anyone asks, I tell them it is an infinitely better commute. It is neither the time nor the distance, it is how the specific commute affects you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia