Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:20 PM

847 posts, read 3,519,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
I went to Lee and when we needed drugs; we would call the students from Lake Braddock and West Springfield. We had two black kids in our class. One went to Princeton, the other UVa. .
Drugs and gangs, two different stories. I would say the drug problems are most prevalent in the more affluent schools, obviously $$$=easy access to drugs. Drugs are bad everywhere these days, as a guidance counselor I know this first hand. Hitting it big in Nova these days is cocaine, and sadly Heroin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 05:00 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
Drugs and gangs, two different stories. I would say the drug problems are most prevalent in the more affluent schools, obviously $$$=easy access to drugs. Drugs are bad everywhere these days, as a guidance counselor I know this first hand. Hitting it big in Nova these days is cocaine, and sadly Heroin.
I worked narcotics in the northern va area for a couple years. The problem is A LOT worse than most people know. Most parents in wealthy areas have blinders on. I've personally purchased all kinds of drugs from "wealthy" kids and their parents are always very defensive and in most cases don't allow the kids to talk to us. They just hire high powered lawyers and say "it's my kids friends, not them".

Old 11-06-2007, 06:08 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
I too agree with novanative about the private school issue.

Also here as well in PA ALL the Teachers in hte public schools that I knew ALL sent thier kids to public school.

Here in loudoun teachers can have have thier kids attend the school they teach at. (If they too live anywhere in Loudoun county) The middle school teachers with elemtary kids can have have their kids go to school at the elementary that is right next to the MS school. Very nice amenity for teachers, they don't have to worry about paying for after school care for thier kids.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 AM

192 posts, read 263,733 times
Remember the Lake Braddock student, who became virtually brain dead after attempting to get high by inhaling Easy-Off fumes? The wealthier kids try stunts like that frequently. It seems like there is always some house in the affluent areas, where the parents are frequently out of town, and the kids are allowed to host parties with sex, drugs, and alcohol.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:06 PM

I actually have a former student who was a major, major drug dealer in Fairfax County and user. He was from a wealthy family and attended a 'great' school. I have actually thought he and I should 'go on the road' speaking to families and parents about the reality of drugs and the incredible craziness that is 'we are good parents and have a good home my kid will not do that.' Talk about false! I can not tell you how many times I have worked with parents that said that. Hmmm, ok, see how that works for you!

Old 11-06-2007, 03:15 PM

Here is a question I have posed to people from NoVA, who I have run into on different corners of the World. Do you remember the Fort Hunt arsonists? Was a real good neighborhood. On a more recent note, what about Columbine? Clearly, not a run down, poor, gang-ridden community by any means. Probably more than 93% white. Another case of parents buying in, to a false sense of security.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:53 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Here is a question I have posed to people from NoVA, who I have run into on different corners of the World. Do you remember the Fort Hunt arsonists? Was a real good neighborhood. On a more recent note, what about Columbine? Clearly, not a run down, poor, gang-ridden community by any means. Probably more than 93% white. Another case of parents buying in, to a false sense of security.
Very true. The Fairfax kid who just killed two Fairfax officers last year lived in a decent area in Fairfax. His parents were idiots, but that's beside the point i guess. It could happen anywhere. I saw one of the rooms in the substation where the bullet holes were, very sad.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
Very true. The Fairfax kid who just killed two Fairfax officers last year lived in a decent area in Fairfax. His parents were idiots, but that's beside the point i guess. It could happen anywhere. I saw one of the rooms in the substation where the bullet holes were, very sad.
He lived in Centreville first of all and he was a very sick individual. He was mentally ill and did not get the help he needed. I worked with is best friend helping her deal with the aftermath and she was very concerned with getting the word out that he was a sick individual. It was sad and inexcusable what he did but had nothing to do with where he did or did not live.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:17 AM

John Hinkley was from a very nice area with wealthy parents, as well. Bad things can happen anywhere. From reading many of the posts here, I just feel like some parents think that cutting a huge check to a mortgage company each month will keep their kids out of trouble. It just doesn't work that way.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
John Hinkley was from a very nice area with wealthy parents, as well. Bad things can happen anywhere. From reading many of the posts here, I just feel like some parents think that cutting a huge check to a mortgage company each month will keep their kids out of trouble. It just doesn't work that way.
True that! In fact, sometimes the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia