Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 09:52 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times

Advertisements

How about this novel concept -- instead of searching their rooms, why don't you attempt to raise them properly, and instill morals and ethics in them from a young age? Then you won't need to "search their rooms".

If my mother searched my room when I was a child, I would have rebelled in response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 08:40 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,703 times
My parents never searched my room, and I would have been pissed if they did. But, they let me know that the option was there at any time - IF I gave them any cause to be suspicious. Looking back, I kind of like that approach. It kept me on my toes without getting me all defensive and secretive.

That said...I was overall a "good kid," (no drugs or drinking in HS, got good grades, went on to college) but I did some messed up stuff, too. Most of it involved hooking up with older guys from the internet. And this was in the late 90s, LONG before Facebook and MySpace made it so easy. I'm not proud of any of it, but you'd better believe I'm going to be tracking my kids' computer use like a hawk! But I also do believe that there will be a limit to my control - teenagers have been pulling the wool over their parents' eyes for all time; it's a lot of hubris to believe I could somehow singlehandedly buck that trend just by being a "good parent." My parents certainly were involved and engaged, but they just couldn't be everywhere all the time. Anyway, I just want to keep the damage to a minimum!

My personal experience (means nothing, I know!) is that upper middle class kids...tend to work hard AND play hard. They want to do well in school so they can make a lot of money, but they want to party all night, too. A lot of them carry this mindset right into the workplace, and it's kind of funny how they seem to think we can't tell when they drag themselves into work still drunk or at least hungover. So some of the best students you'll see are doing shocking things. But that's the culture. They think they can have it all, they can be wild at night and successful during the day, and most of the messages they get in life confirm this. Why wouldn't they try?

Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 AM

56 posts, read 196,596 times
Default Classifying graffiti???

I know there's different kinds of graffiti out there, and some if not most is "artistic expression" by kids and/or tagging by "wanna bes".

But what do you look for to tell if you have hard core gangs tagging an area?

Just for reference, I live in Burke/Fairfax and am seeing lots of graffiti when I come in on the VRE.

Thx

Old 10-20-2008, 11:54 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
Fairfax County police have an excellent gang unit so anytime you see new graffiti call them; it helps them to track and avert potential problems.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:50 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Fairfax County police have an excellent gang unit so anytime you see new graffiti call them; it helps them to track and avert potential problems.

I have been to several presentations by the FCPD gang unit in connection with my FCPS bus driver job.

The "meanings" of that graffiti are fascinating!

Old 10-20-2008, 05:19 PM

194 posts, read 590,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersh View Post
I know there's different kinds of graffiti out there, and some if not most is "artistic expression" by kids and/or tagging by "wanna bes".

Just for reference, I live in Burke/Fairfax and am seeing lots of graffiti when I come in on the VRE.

Thx
Here you go:

Bombing- refers to going out there and destroying everything you see with a can of paint
Piecing- refers to making a decent size, fully detailed work of art that is usually done by the better writers
Throw-ups- bitter sweet. your mission is to get your name up and about as best as you can. Its all about seeing your stuff on the highway and high-occupant areas. The artwork takes like 2-3 minutes.
Tagging- refers to just writing your name in a unique handstyle for other writers to see and recognize your work.

It's probably just regular kids if its on the VRE.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:59 PM

555 posts, read 2,702,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis15 View Post
Here you go:

Bombing- refers to going out there and destroying everything you see with a can of paint
Piecing- refers to making a decent size, fully detailed work of art that is usually done by the better writers
Throw-ups- bitter sweet. your mission is to get your name up and about as best as you can. Its all about seeing your stuff on the highway and high-occupant areas. The artwork takes like 2-3 minutes.
Tagging- refers to just writing your name in a unique handstyle for other writers to see and recognize your work.

It's probably just regular kids if its on the VRE.

Hope that helps.
Please stop posting if you are not familiar with the subject.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersh View Post

Thx
Gangs claim their territory through tagging. Most tags in the Northern Va area are NOT just artistic expression. Different gangs will tag different things, these are things to look out for in the Northern Va area, specifically PWC-

MS, or MS13
SURX3
SSL
Pitchfork- GD's,they also put "274" or "74" up.
BK- Blood Killer, made by crips.
Killa Hill - Blood set
TRG- Tiny Rascal Gansgtas
GTV- Georgetown Village
55 or MOB- Blood set called "55"

Old 10-24-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBong420 View Post
there's no gangs in fairfax. people up there just confuse them for gangs
\

Tell that to the kid who got his hand chopped off a while ago....

Old 10-24-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis15 View Post
^ I wouldn't make a definitive statement like that but your right, pretty much gangs are minute/non-existent. A group of kids with baggy clothes on are considered gangs these days.

The most resourceful people you could possibly ask in regards to gang situations at a certain area would be high school kids.
Again, please stop. You have no clue what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia