Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 01:12 PM

27 posts, read 39,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bear View Post
Thank you
you're welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywallace View Post
Please stop posting if you are not familiar with the subject.
This was a couple years ago, but I'm going to assume you still frequent this forum.

That Nemesis15 kid was right. Moderator Cut: Watch the personal attacks...and the language for that matter.

He's not 100% accurate, but he's hella closer to the truth than you. Most graff in NOVA is toy ****. Basically a kid 10-27, who sees some graffiti online and thinks it's cool. They make up some generic graffiti name, buy a few cans of paint, go on a 1-7 day spree tagging ****, then quit. Some might do the same but throw up some fake gang **** instead of a weak tag. They stop in about a week too. The only lasting graffiti currently in NOVA is a guy named Fant, who was busted and moved about a year ago, and various others passing through the area or visiting.

As for the terms and definitions nemisis gave, bombing is generally less relentless than he described. It is typically just going out and hitting up multiple spots in one night that you've previously staked out, or walking down a street catching tags and maybe a few throws on visible and respectable spots. Which brings me to throw ups. They take 2-25 minutes depending on size, complexity, and color scheme. They're typically only 2 colors, but a third may be used in a secondary outline.

More on topic with current discussion, whether or not your kid will smoke weed and drink in highschool is dependent not only on peer pressure, parental stance, and area. Another factor is psychological disposition, and genetic propensity to succumb to addiction. And let's not forget simple curiosity and availability. Peer pressure in modern social circles seems to be very misunderstood. It is no longer about smoking and drinking because everyone else does and/or to be 'cool'. It is a desire to experience the same things that peers are experiencing, and probably because it's fun/feels good. It's herd mentality, like listening to the same songs your friends listen to. A well-adjusted kid will probably try weed a couple times throughout highschool, drink on occasion (seldomly getting highly intoxicated, but perhaps in the 10 beer/4-5 shot range), but always make school a priority. If your kid's smoking weed, don't tell him/her it kills braincells. Tell them it reduces motivation gradually, elicits laziness, and is a waste of money. And if they're going to parties but don't want to drink, tell them to grab a beer and sip it for an hour, before getting another. To peers it looks like they're drinking too.

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-05-2010 at 07:01 AM..

Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 AM

706 posts, read 1,309,218 times
I found this after doing a search of West Potomac High School. It is frightening because it seems like the only schools people don't hate are in Arlington, VA. All schools in Alexandria seem to have a bad rep and Falls Church HS and Stuart get bad reviews as well.

I am just curious-what schools other than Robinson and Arlington County would you recommend in NOVA if you wanna be somewhat close to DC?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:47 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
I found this after doing a search of West Potomac High School. It is frightening because it seems like the only schools people don't hate are in Arlington, VA. All schools in Alexandria seem to have a bad rep and Falls Church HS and Stuart get bad reviews as well.

I am just curious-what schools other than Robinson and Arlington County would you recommend in NOVA if you wanna be somewhat close to DC?
West Potomac is actually a pretty good high school. It does serve a diverse student population but good students do really well there. It has excellent art, music, and athletics programs and the facility is top notch. A lot of the AAP kids around here end up there rather than at Mount Vernon since the center school is in that pyramid and they'll often choose Sandburg MS, which fees WP, over Whitman, which feeds MV. I don't hesitate in recommending it, based on personal experience.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 AM

706 posts, read 1,309,218 times
Thanks for the advice. May I ask your take on "Yale or Jail" ? A friend of mine said something I found funny: "any school with a rowing program cannot be that bad" HA HA

Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackattack09 View Post
I'm currently a student at West Potomac High School and I have to admit that I'm astonished at this type of thinking about my school. I assure you, West Potomac is a top-grade institution. If you have a child who wants to challenge themself...
Most of your post is pretty well written, but FYI, it's "themselves" or (to be technically correct by avoiding the use of a plural as a gender-neutral substitute) "himself or herself." ("Themself" is not a word. I blame your teachers for not covering this.) But you made some good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bear View Post
it appears to me that many of the parents involved in having concerns about gangs, drugs and the like dont seem to do much research into it they just beileve what the media tells them as well as any "experience" they may have had. i bet that most of you still beileve that weed is bad for you.
If it has no negative effects, then how do you explain that heavy users are usually unmotivated and focus their lives on getting high? No, of course it pales in comparison to meth, heroin, etc.--and I'm actually for legalizing it, so we can fight those harder drugs--but it's far from harmless.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 AM

210 posts, read 394,673 times
lol Annandale and Edison areas are lower income???
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
not very many. I'd say the lower income schools in Fairfax Co (Annandale, Edison, Mount Vernon, etc) close to Alexandria have a noticable amount of gang activity.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:29 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Most of your post is pretty well written, but FYI, it's "themselves" or (to be technically correct by avoiding the use of a plural as a gender-neutral substitute) "himself or herself." ("Themself" is not a word. I blame your teachers for not covering this.) But you made some good points.

If it has no negative effects, then how do you explain that heavy users are usually unmotivated and focus their lives on getting high? No, of course it pales in comparison to meth, heroin, etc.--and I'm actually for legalizing it, so we can fight those harder drugs--but it's far from harmless.
Do you realize how old the posts are that you are responding to?

Old 02-19-2013, 05:14 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
Thanks for the advice. May I ask your take on "Yale or Jail" ? A friend of mine said something I found funny: "any school with a rowing program cannot be that bad" HA HA
Both TCW and WP do have crew. WP has a good shooting program. I think Woodson and Robinson are the only other two public schools in NoVA with one. It also has a golf team coached by a PGA pro.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 02-19-2013 at 05:24 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 AM

513 posts, read 961,904 times
Anyone have an update on Jackson Middle School? As recently as 2009, the school had been infiltrated by Latino gangs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia