Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:17 AM

143 posts, read 336,410 times

Advertisements

I never go over the Potomac.
I'd have to leave my cozy cocoon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 09:43 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,323,567 times
You people should really branch out and try something new from time to time. I dunno, maybe I'm just a D.I.N.K but if I only stayed in my 1 mile radius week in and week out, except for commute hours, I'd have a very negative view of this entire area whether I lived where I do now, Western FX, LoCo, PWC, doesn't matter. This area is the center of the free world, the birth place of a country, the site of hundreds off battles spanning multi-generations, parks, rivers, food on par with NYC/San Fran.

Why even live here if you dont want any of that, I understand #1 is job, but surely there are other places with some kind of jobs and lower cost of living.

Give the area a chance, its not some distopic 1970s New Jack City hellscape of criminals. Those other river folk you see; on Monday-Friday wear suits and work corporate gigs just like you.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:09 AM

939 posts, read 1,895,736 times
Moderator Cut
For reference purposes, I'm there about six days a week.

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-04-2013 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: address concerns by reporting the offending post and/or Direct Messaging a moderator

Old 05-04-2013, 01:05 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,323,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Mahatma is just trolling. He thinks we're all redneck country folk. Anyone familiar with the DC forum knows this. He's always posting stupid crap about how DC needs to be more "real". He thinks it should be ghetto and pines for the early nineties when it really was a war zone. He's a joke.
For reference purposes, I'm there about six days a week.
I mean, DC's a great place, but maryland has some stuff too thats plenty nice. I for one am the first person to say I am proud of being a Virginian my entire life, but anyone who thinks that Maryland doesn't have nice areas is delusional, and to say that about DC is equally strange. While the OP might be trolling, he clearly found a few that agree.

I think people who don't go into DC think the only thing to do over there worth while is museums; for their sake I introduce them to a beginners guide to DC for people who don't like sketchy areas

1) Eastern Market on Sunday Mornings; accessible from the orange line or 395 quite easily, has a huge farmers market and flea market, has dozens of restaurants that are reasonably priced unlike the "traditional DC tourist zones", beautiful 150 year old architecture and homes. Favorite restaurant is Cafe Belga, get a 30 oz 9% beer and hot pot of muscles for a total bill of 30 bucks.

2) Bethesda; accessible on the red line or 495 very quickly for most of north or western fairfax. Really great food, Redwood restaurant has outdoor patio space where they show free movies some nights; reasonable priced. Sunday brunch bottomless mimosas AND bloody marys.

3) U Street; it used to be a rough part of town, not so much anymore. You are more likely to have a disagreement with your sommelier about the right pairing for your pulled pork slider than to see any criminal elements.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:09 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,917,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
It seem like people in NoVa tend to stay on that side of the Potomac unless its work related. When referring to DC or MD you guys say "over the bridge" like its a big deal wtf. Granted, NoVa its own world and feel completely different from DC and MD...

I have family in Alexandria and Woodbridge and whenever I go out there they make it seem like DC is SOO FAR away.

for me it's because there's little that md has to offer me. great park? i go to great falls, va side. i've already done the whole visit dc as a kid and adult. so really nothing really much for me is offered in md.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:11 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,533,964 times
So is it fair to say that NoVa is fairly provincial?

Old 05-04-2013, 06:30 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,102,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
So is it fair to say that NoVa is fairly provincial?
People responded to your post with a range of answers, and you reduced it to a one liner you probably had ready with your first post. Perhaps there's not enough traffic on the DC forum to keep you entertained.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:20 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,515,697 times
We try to go into D.C. but the traffic turns us off. And why go to MD? It looks just like VA - houses, stores, and traffic - boring as heck.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:18 AM

939 posts, read 1,895,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
We try to go into D.C. but the traffic turns us off. And why go to MD? It looks just like VA - houses, stores, and traffic - boring as heck.
I think you misspelled "heck", normally the H and the E are interchangeable with the F and the U

Old 05-05-2013, 04:48 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,533,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
People responded to your post with a range of answers, and you reduced it to a one liner you probably had ready with your first post. Perhaps there's not enough traffic on the DC forum to keep you entertained.
You sound mad, you want a cookie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia