Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 04:40 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,283,842 times

Advertisements

Curious if some of those who've switched IT jobs a few times around here can provide some insights on the most effective approaches to lining something up besides the tried and true networking. Career fairs, job boards, company websites, recruiters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 06:38 PM

939 posts, read 1,895,091 times
clearancejobs.com if you have a clearance.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 PM

15 posts, read 38,136 times
There are a lot of active user groups in the area. Many have speakers and are sponsored by companies actively recruiting for the specific skills linked to that group, and many folks in the crowd actively recruiting....other groups have job posting mailing list. I guess this is considered networking...

Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,916,615 times
most of the jobs in IT around here carry a clearance requirement.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:31 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,283,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
most of the jobs in IT around here carry a clearance requirement.
Let's assume for purposes of the discussion that that's not an issue.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,519,777 times
dice and monster have done well for me.

Unless you have lots of time don't waste time on gov jobs, unless you're a prior Fed or have some other "in."

Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 AM

97 posts, read 204,633 times
It's funny, all you hear from non-IT types is "network, network, network!" but the reality is most of us are introverts and usually don't want to "network" with strangers. Our networks are usually built by relationships we have with past and present co-workers. The "schmoozing" and "networking" might work for the salesy extroverts, but I have to say, it's just a really goofy concept for IT people -- that's coming from someone who's been in IT for about 18 years now.

That said, when I lived in that area, I used recruiters. But there are some key lessons I learned with that:

1. Be wary of Indian recruiters who aren't in your immediate area. These guys have part (or all) of their compensation based on the number of resumes that can get logged into their databases. Oftentimes the "job" they're contacting you about does not exist. They're fishing for resumes. I'm on my 5th IT job (so that's 5 job searches), and never once did I ever even get a phone interview with one of these guys. I'm guessing they're sitting in a call center in Bangalore. Now that I mention this, I never had much luck with Indian recruiters IN that immediate area. Your experience may be different.

2. If a local recruiter contacts you about a job and they won't tell you the company, hang up. They're playing with you. They'll throw out garbage like "it's confidential." No, it isn't. They just want your resume. If they really have a job and you're really a good fit, they'll tell you.

3. You really have to wade through a sea of terrible recruiters. If you find a good one, keep that relationship. The good ones have actual connections (they're your "networking"), actual jobs, and are trusted by their clients. A quick way to determine this is to ask if they're exclusively representing the company -- they cannot lie here. Many times you're dealing with a bottom-feeder who's doing nothing more than searching job boards, matching up your skills (usually really badly) and trying to get a referral or their foot in the door with the hiring company.

4. The holy grail of recruiters are those who actually work for the company they're representing. If you get contacted by one of them, everything will be on the up & up. They're a direct extension of the people who actually need a position filled. You won't have to deal with 3rd party recruiters trying to fatten their margins; you won't have to deal with the half-truths on both sides; and more importantly, you won't have another party trying to interject and posture during YOUR compensation negotiation.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:45 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,269,559 times
I used the search function on LinkedIn and got a couple of hits. In the end it the best responses are usually from a employee referral.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,519,777 times
I've always wondered about the folks who'll email me about a 3-month job out in Portland, OR.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:19 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,199,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I've always wondered about the folks who'll email me about a 3-month job out in Portland, OR.
That's work for an hourly contractor (like me - though I don't travel). Your room (and often board) is paid, as is the travel and you get paid by the hour (usually, though "fixed price" is possible - but DUHmb, IMHO).

Your billing rate will be significantly higher than nontravelling contractors - typically you would be a "W2-contractor" as opposed to a "1099-contractor", meaning you are an employee of the firm that contacted you and assigned you to a client - this protects the client from being responsible for you in some economic manner.

Anyway, a LOT of people love working out of a suticase and making relatively large bucks here and there and everywhere.

======

I like contracting because it is so straight-forward - you get paid an hour's wage for an hour's work. There is no bogus "salary review", little office politics, and much new work, often greatly varying work, in your field thus the interest remains high. Contract length can vary - I once was on a 6-week contract and once on a 7-year contract...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia