Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,500 times

Advertisements

Anyone work at BAH? Positives/negatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 04:54 PM

51 posts, read 80,452 times
I don't work there but work with quite a few colleagues. BAH has been going downhill as of late. Once deemed a small private company now it's just a normal/performance game.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:06 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,270,235 times
BAH has been a LARGE private company for quite a while and now it is a Fortune 500 company. In terms of reputation, it is top-tier as far as government contractors go. Their main competitors are big names from other industries (such as Deloitte and IBM Business Services). I used to work there and can give more info about some of the positive and negative changes that has happened recently, but generally the basic information can be found here Booz Allen Hamilton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 AM

271 posts, read 447,522 times
BAH from my perspective (working as a contractor on a govt site) the past few years is that they are now just another cost cutting, bottom line up front warm body shop. They once used to be known for expertise in multiple disciplines but due to their business models changing (and answering to shareholders) they are just another government contracting firm that the end goal is to put qualified (cheap) bodies into billets. I am also a bit biased as a friend of mine retired out of BAH and now has his own small company. He has said to me numerous times "It's not the same company it used to be". Referring to how they create and win business.

They are no longer in the same category as Scitor, Deloitte etc as mentioned above.
Again this is my opinion and perspective. I see BAH as just another large defense company like Boeing, General Dynamics, Northrop, Lockheed etc.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,270,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_In_NOVA View Post
BAH from my perspective (working as a contractor on a govt site) the past few years is that they are now just another cost cutting, bottom line up front warm body shop. They once used to be known for expertise in multiple disciplines but due to their business models changing (and answering to shareholders) they are just another government contracting firm that the end goal is to put qualified (cheap) bodies into billets. I am also a bit biased as a friend of mine retired out of BAH and now has his own small company. He has said to me numerous times "It's not the same company it used to be". Referring to how they create and win business.

They are no longer in the same category as Scitor, Deloitte etc as mentioned above.
Again this is my opinion and perspective. I see BAH as just another large defense company like Boeing, General Dynamics, Northrop, Lockheed etc.
What is Scitor?

Boeing, GD, Northrop etc. builds more equipment and vehicles and usually hire engineers and programmers into staff-esque positions. BAH, Deloitte etc. are more management and IT services and GDIT is certainly a few steps below. Not to say it's better or worse, but just different. As with many govt contractors, I know plenty of warm bodies in all of the companies mentioned (except Scitor...I couldn't even find a wiki page) but I stand behind my name recognition comment.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 AM

271 posts, read 447,522 times
Home | Scitor

Old 05-21-2013, 02:46 PM

790 posts, read 1,883,150 times
I worked at BAH for almost 5 years, and left for a government job last year. It's actually not a private company anymore, and is a public company, traded on the stock market. The stock is very stagnant and lots of people are leaving (or have left). Here are my thoughts:

1) A lot will depend on your project, your project manager and if you get a project in your preferred field. They may hire you and then lose the contract, or chose to put someone else on the contract. Where you land will drive your level of satisfaction with the firm.
2) They will work you to death. In addition to high expectations on the job, you will be asked to work on proposals and extra curriculum activities.
3) The firm has moved to "hoteling" and it may be very difficult to create a network or meet people across teams. This is important because when your contract is up, you'll want your name "out there." This paranoia will drive you to work on proposals and extra curriculum activities.
4) They will work you to death.
5) You'll make a decent salary.
6) When you decide to leave, all those people who asked you to work on proposals over the weekend and support extra curriculum activities during holidays will act like you never existed. You're no longer of use to them. You got out....and they hate you for it.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:26 AM

I'd also add that if you're just looking to get your foot in the door with management consulting and you want Booz Allen on your resume, it's not a bad gig. You just have to know what you're getting into. I will say the name on my resume has been a plus (and even the government knew that I must have been a "worker bee" to have lasted so long at Booz). I also got to know some very smart people, with whom I still socialize. Many, many have left for the federal government, so I have an instant network of high-level colleagues (GS-15, program leads, etc).

I was an Admin Lead and a Career Manager. The Senior folks are busy and won't have much time for you. I was mid-level, and many members of my admin team remarked I was the first person who ever returned their calls or showed any interest in their career. (And most of these people had been with the firm 2+ years). I took my admin lead responsibilities seriously and really tried to mentor. I left before getting burned out, and Booz has asked me back several times.

Many good people have left, so there is a sense of panic at BAH. But this could be an opportunity for you. Just pace yourself and know what you want (two years and out? head down and slow climb to Senior Associate?). Also, once you get on the "poop list" you are pretty much done. The poop list is for those who make clients mad, or someone who simply doesn't appeal to their management/project team.

I will say the health insurance premiums are less than what I pay in the federal government, and we had short-term disability. Booz also had a nice long-term disability policy that was very reasonable. They've cut their Employee Compensation Matching (ECAP) to 5%; it used to be 10%.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,500 times
Offered an associate position, great salary and benefits.

Last edited by FLtoDC; 05-22-2013 at 11:07 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 AM

Definitely go for it. Like I said, it's not a bad thing to have on your resume. (And congrats !!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia