Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,513 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am new to Virginia and have a couple questions about whether I should be concerned about my new landlord. I am working with a manager who acts as the landlord for an owner that does not live in the area.

After I gave him my application, application fee, and deposit, he informed me he ran my credit before he had my written (or verbal) permission to do so. I am pretty sure this is illegal. I thought this was sketch (especially since he only knew my name at the time) and considered rescinding on the application and filing a complaint with the BBB. I talked to some friends who are real estate agents and they said not to sweat it.

So I go ahead and sign the lease. After he signs the lease, he tells me the owner is refusing to paint the walls. Before I even filled out an application, I was told the walls would be painted before I moved in (and if you saw the walls you would understand this was definitely a selling point). I tell him he needs to get the walls painted before we move forward and he tells me "well, I already signed the lease."

I am wondering what to do in this situation. I feel like I have been taken advantage of, and I no longer want to have a relationship with this landlord. I am wondering if I can use the fact that he ran my credit without permission to back out of the whole thing.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 04:43 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,431,003 times
You can say to landlord that you don't wish to be his tenant given the lack of painting and credit. Who knows, he may just agree and be rid of you. However, it is much more likely that the landlord will want to invoke whatever cancellation terms are in the lease. If it is only one month's rent you may just want to eat it.

You could also move in and call every day requesting the place be painted like you were told it would be. Being annoying gets stuff done.

The credit check thing sounds like a grey area and if you were that concerned about it you should have never signed a lease.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:00 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,809,416 times
If you have a copy of the application, I'd look it over to see if there is a provision there about a credit check. If you signed it with the provision on there, then he had your authorization on paper.

I'd repost this on the renting forum as well for more advice.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:07 PM

6,571 posts, read 8,426,843 times
He ran your credit before you submitted the application?

Old 06-29-2013, 08:22 PM

109 posts, read 202,406 times
I was looking at a place today. Besides the standard credit and background check, the owner wanted to look at your bank statement too if you plan to rent from him. Not too sure I am comfortable with that. Why he needs to know how much $$ i have

Old 06-29-2013, 08:47 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,898,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxengineerxx View Post
I was looking at a place today. Besides the standard credit and background check, the owner wanted to look at your bank statement too if you plan to rent from him. Not too sure I am comfortable with that. Why he needs to know how much $$ i have
common practice.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:52 PM

109 posts, read 202,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
common practice.
really? Private landlord? The one ones I have been seeing didn't ask about statement. Those are big management company.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:01 PM

979 posts, read 1,778,685 times
I don't think you can run a credit check with a name only and no other information, which I assume is all they had (your name) if you hadn't yet submitted an application. They may have just been bluffing and not even done a credit check at all, just wanted you to sign and move in quickly.

As for the walls, if you didn't get it in writing, then that's really your own fault, and I don't think you actually have any recourse. However, if the landlord rents out multiple units (not just yours), they may have to abide by state landlord-tenant laws, and I believe carpet cleaning and fresh coat of paint are required in the state of VA before a new tenant moves in. I rent out a townhouse, and it's in the lease that the tenant actually has to have the carpets cleaned and walls returned to condition they were in at move-in (which was freshly painted, no holes, etc.).

Old 06-29-2013, 09:08 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,898,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxengineerxx View Post
really? Private landlord? The one ones I have been seeing didn't ask about statement. Those are big management company.
case by case.

pay stubs, W2s, schedule C's etc. Some ask for bank statements to show that a renter doesn't have $8.31 in their account, making $500 a week with $600 a month in obligations

if you do not feel comfortable, move on to another property. it's not like the landlord can increase the monthly rent without you agreeing once they see your bank account.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:44 PM

9,888 posts, read 14,169,146 times
How could he run your credit if he didn't have your SS number? If you gave him your SS number, what did you expect he would do with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia