Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:42 PM

948 posts, read 3,360,259 times

Advertisements

There are bunnies everywhere!!!!! We have them all over our yard early morning and late at night. However, I'm seeing them all around Arlington--who knew?? Last year we saw a fox running along the strip of grass near the street. Last night I saw 4 raccoons cross the street in a nice and tidy line to a vacant lot that the idiot owner let get overgrown and is probably a breeding ground for every vermin in the area.

Oh, and we found a dead possum in our garbage can last month. We live in Clarendon of all places, not the boondocks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 08:52 PM

326 posts, read 690,247 times
There are actually a lot of open fields, parks, and large yards in NoVA that are capable of housing these critters. I don't mind them!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:54 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,918,140 times
send them this way so those damn red foxes would stop barking/fighting at 3-4am.

they sound like a baby or a cat when they act up and i really dislike those foxes. i swear im always 4 seconds away from running them over as they always cross the road 4 seconds ahead of me.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:52 PM

496 posts, read 1,193,773 times
I haven't seen a fox in a long time. Maybe the foxes met an untimely demise. That's probably the reason the bunnies are out in droves.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:43 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,918,140 times
ill tell you those red foxes are pretty dumb.

i had a turtle sleep under my front right tire and i never saw it. all i heard was a crack and green ooze. felt bad since i would've kept it as a pet. don't know where it came from as im nowhere close to a creek.

i had a squirrel once fall off a branch and bounce off my hood. im sure its back was cracked and either died or became the crippled squirrel.

me and natures animals don't get along. im sure one of these days ill add hitting a deer who just darts across the road to my list (already have a possum as well).

Old 07-17-2013, 04:58 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,471,348 times
Bunnies? Where? I haven't seen them in years and I love them!!! We only see deer and foxes, and an occasional turtle who ventures on to the road from a stream on my property. But I would love to see 'em bunnies!

Old 07-17-2013, 05:03 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,201,096 times
Lots of bunnies and chipmunks this year around my yard. Couple regular LARGE feral cats and a well-fed fox (not real red, though) that trots around early morning as well. And overhead you can hear the hawks as they do their thang..typically greatly reducing the prey population.

---

I may have mentioned somewhere around here that, a few years ago, we had an amazing population explosion of chipmunks -they were everywhere, all the time.

Until the predators handled the problem (one domestic pure white cat was shockingly successful - saw her heading home NUMEROUS times, chipmunk in mouth).

For a couple years afterwards it was rare to see a single chipmunk (not in woods - in suburban yards).

This year, however, we had a bunch though there appear to be a lot fewer right now. Bunnies, however, are almost ALWAYS in our dinky front yard munching the clover we purposefully did not treat. As I'm typing this there are two.

I believe bunnies can have something like 8 or 9 litters PER YEAR...

The foxen will handle this as well, I'm sure.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:48 AM

83 posts, read 129,195 times
We've had daily chase scenes for most of the summer involving neighborhood cats and bunnies on our front lawn. Fun to watch when both the cat and bunny freeze in place and strain their necks out. Started in the spring with just 1 bunny, up to about 4 now. My two year old dearly wants to be a bunny b/c 'he eats all day'.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:06 AM

377 posts, read 530,472 times
somebody call this guy

Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,735,222 times
There was a post earlier this week regarding leaf damage, and the issue of massive amounts of squirrels this year. I'm seeing lots of animals this year. I thought it was nearby contruction that was causing them to move in our neighborhood, but perhaps a couple mild winters have helped them along.

We have a family of 5 foxes (2 adults and 3 kids) living near us, which has helped with the rabbits, but the squirrels can get away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia