Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times

Advertisements

Every time I drive through this area no matter what time a day it is, as I am crossing the Occoquan, even when traffic is lighter, it always seems to be some massive slow down at this point but then as soon as you get pass the 123 exit and you go towards the PW Parkway exit, it starts picking up again. What gives? Is the state trying to fix this because this seems like this is usually the beginning of the backups going into PWC. Thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
You lose a lane at that exit. The lane loss used to occur above 123 but they expanded that part of the road and moved the lane loss down. All they do is move the bottleneck farther south each time they do that.

On top of it all, you have the cars from Rt. 1 that want to get on I-95 South dumping right into the exit lane for 123 at the same time people are trying to merge over to exit. Once past the exit lane, the cars coming from 123 to get on I-95 south have a very short merge lane so those cars coming on to the interstate are not entering the lanes at high speed. It sort of picks up after that but then slows again through the parkway area because that is a very busy (but better designed) exit also.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
I-95 goes from four lanes to three lanes. Also, there are typically a lot of cars getting on/off at that exit. With the combination of the two, traffic slows (or stops as in the case during afternoon rush).

Old 01-30-2013, 07:06 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You lose a lane at that exit. The lane loss used to occur above 123 but they expanded that part of the road and moved the lane loss down. All they do is move the bottleneck farther south each time they do that.

On top of it all, you have the cars from Rt. 1 that want to get on I-95 South dumping right into the exit lane for 123 at the same time people are trying to merge over to exit. Once past the exit lane, the cars coming from 123 to get on I-95 south have a very short merge lane so those cars coming on to the interstate are not entering the lanes at high speed. It sort of picks up after that but then slows again through the parkway area because that is a very busy (but better designed) exit also.
Yup she hit the nail on the head. You used to lose that lane around Newington.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:10 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
You would think they would have resolved this. I figured it was bottleneck, but it seems like common sense to address this area, since in my opinion it really creates a lot of congestion after the mixing bowl.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:33 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
You would think they would have resolved this. I figured it was bottleneck, but it seems like common sense to address this area, since in my opinion it really creates a lot of congestion after the mixing bowl.
They'd have to widen the bridge (again) to move the Rt.1 exit/123 entrance over a lane and continue the 4th lane down towards the PWC parkway or farther. Until then, traffic is always going to bottle up at the bridge. I don't expect it to happen anytime soon, if ever.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,872 times
I think you also have some trouble because those coming from Route 1 have to merge twice, and those exiting to 123 are coming across the other way. The distance between those on and off ramps is short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia