Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:28 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,438,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2nva View Post
JfromReston, thanks a lot for your input. This is really helpful.
I do have to share that my husband's office is going to be in Herndon instead of Reston and so we started doing research on schools and rental properties in Herndon. It seems that Zip code 20171 has some good schools including Oak Hill and McNair. There are some new or newly renovated town homes available within the zip code as well for rental and my husband's office will be 5 minutes drive from those properties. However, here are some of our concerns:

Herndon:
The town homes are right next to Dulles airport and airport noise is going to be a big factor? Can others staying in this Zip code please confirm?
Oak Hill seems like a much better school as compared to McNair but we are not sure if it would be the "assigned" school for us even though both schools are in the same Zip code?

Reston:
Reston sounds like a great area for raising kids. However, we are not finding any schools with high ratings such a 5 star on schooldigger or a 9/10 on greatschools.

JfromReston posted some good options for properties within our budget but we prefer newer properties and town homes and I'm not sure if that's a possibility in Reston?

I'm even more confused now with only a few weeks left in our moving date. Do I need to start looking at Vienna and Fairfax?
Much of the flight patterns in and out of Dulles are north and south so my guess is there is not that much noise in the Oak Hill area. I really don't think it's an issue east of the airport in general but others who live there can speak to that.

As for schools, use the FCPS boundary link to see what specific addresses are assigned, FCPS Boundary Locator. As many people will say, you really can't go wrong in any of the FCPS schools. The demographics will be different so that will be your personal preference, but the curriculum is the same. Use the schools profiles for information more so than Great Schools, you can find that here, Fairfax County Public Schools - Schools and Centers Directory Put in a school name. Once there, click on the profile link and check ALL the tabs on the profile and you will find a lot of information. Then look at the schools website, a d even their PTA website to get a feel for the place.

Good luck"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 01:39 PM

320 posts, read 481,381 times
I agree with the previous posters that Ashburn sounds best suited to your stated needs.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:35 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,195,944 times
My sincere apologies to JfromReston. In trying to keep in the spirit of the Terms of Service, I chose to delete property links she posted from the MRIS website thinking that it was real estate advertising. As it turns out, I was reminded by a few people, including fellow moderators I consulted, that MRIS had already been determined to be a generic MLS site and was fine to reference in the forum. While I can restore deleted posts, I regret that I cannot restore the edits.

It just goes to show that even moderators make mistakes. Again, my apologies.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,520,972 times
If you're going to insist on a newer TH with a 9/10 school on Greatschools, then Ashburn is your only choice. I'm guessing you can get in at $2200-$2500/month for there.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:19 AM

504 posts, read 1,214,160 times
Quote:

Our priorities include finding the best school(s) and a decent town home (to rent, budget range:$1750 to $2500 monthly).

I live in Oak Hill area (20171). There are several detached homes here with rent within the $2500 limit. PM me if you need me to find out more for you. It's a decent commute to Reston (via Reston parkway).

Old 07-25-2013, 11:41 PM

21 posts, read 30,145 times
I have owned a townhouse in Reston for 7 years. We love it here for some reasons (pools, paths), but are trying to get out before our oldest goes to public school, because not all schools in Reston are great. Be careful with the Great Schools rating, as it is based on test scores, which doesn't equate to good schools/teachers, just those who are good at helping children take tests. check out some forums as well. Some elementary schools in the very northern part of Reston are fine, where you will also find the newer homes (not likely townhouses, but SFH well over $750K). Worst part about Reston for us is the double HOA fees to our neighborhood and to Reston Association. Not worth the cost. We also would prefer more independent stores and restaurants. The chains get old quickly. We have noticed more crime and more traffic in recent years as well, at least in the southern parts if Reston.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:10 PM

26,242 posts, read 49,140,136 times
To the OP, we fled NoVA in 2005 for Colorado and are so glad we did....the gridlock in NOVA was just suffocating. Moral of the story: live as close to work as possible.

We lived in Herndon when first married...long time ago...don't ask

We lived in Chantilly for 28 years and know the area around Herndon fairly well.

One area to look into would be just south of Herndon, along Centreville Rd in the area of Kinross Circle. For whatever reasons, google maps refers to that area as Chantilly Highlands, but Chantilly-proper is really over on Rte 50.

The suggested area is a sweet spot of sorts, giving you easy access to Sully Rd (Rte 28), Lee Jackson Hwy (Rte 50), Dulles Toll Road (Rte 267), Fairfax County Parkway (Rte 286) and a quick shot into Herndon, but far enough from those roads to avoid highway noise. You are near the Franklin Farms shopping area (where we shopped at Giant Food for many years) and near enough to the Greenbriar shopping area on Rte 50 and all the Herndon stuff too. And it's only a short hop over to Wegman's off of Rte 28 at Waxpool (Disneyland for Foodies).

For rentals, try padmapper.com which gives us this listing, right in your budget.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:30 AM

8 posts, read 19,241 times
Mike: Thanks for that information. That property looks great, however it is too small since it does not have a basement.
If you can find something in the area you mentioned, that is close to 2000 sq. ft or above after including the basement, then please do let me know.

I'm going to start a separate post to look into Ashburn area as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 PM

53 posts, read 85,655 times
Live anywhere in herndon, Reston, Chantilly, or Centreville and you will be fine.. Even Fairfax, but north of 66 where like Fair Oaks or green briar area. I'm moving to Centreville where my wife works as we speak from Manassas. I work at Fair Oaks hospital so commuting in am will be 15 minutes but pm 30 minutes, and thats only 8 miles away. Just don't go into Loudoun county. It's great but during am traffic going east in then and west in pm sucks. I moved here from the west coast, and in this crazy NOVA area driving sucks. All schools in in Fairfax will be good. People on great schools may give bad ratings, but many of them over critical. Coming from Vegas, or SO Cal schools. The worst here are better than the average there. Your price range is perfect too.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:02 PM

83 posts, read 448,050 times
Quote:
Herndon:
The town homes are right next to Dulles airport and airport noise is going to be a big factor? Can others staying in this Zip code please confirm?
Oak Hill seems like a much better school as compared to McNair but we are not sure if it would be the "assigned" school for us even though both schools are in the same Zip code?
The McNair farms area in Herndon will be the easiest to find a newish townhouse in your price range. There are always tons for rent. I used to live there. I must have heard a plane at some point but I really can't remember it. I didn't consider it an issue at all.

Take those school ratings with a grain of salt. That rating score is derived from test scores which correlate with socioeconomic status and racial makeup. What matters are the administrators and the teachers. It's hard to score them on a numerical scale. And they come and go so don't trust anecdotal evidence that isn't very recent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia