Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 02:56 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,690,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Just a question, that everyone keeps saying that they did not have breakfast; or that they were eating breakfast during this ordeal. Is there something about the Navy Yard or something wrong that you cannot have breakfast before you go to work?
HA!!! That does seem to be a common theme.

Many of the workers there start VERY early. I am one of them. I leave my house at 5:15. I am totally not hungry them. I have a bowl of cereal at my desk every day at around 7:30AM.

A lot of people have pretty long commutes (from Fredericksburg, or other areas). BLDG 197 houses "the" cafeteria on the base although there are other small eateries around. People often get to work, get settled it, and then work their way down to cafeteria for a cup of coffee or a bagel or something and bring it back to their desks.

In my office, we actually don't allow long breaks for breakfast and most offices are the same, so the majority of people are bringing it back to their desks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 03:17 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,339,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
HA!!! That does seem to be a common theme.

Many of the workers there start VERY early. I am one of them. I leave my house at 5:15. I am totally not hungry them. I have a bowl of cereal at my desk every day at around 7:30AM.

A lot of people have pretty long commutes (from Fredericksburg, or other areas). BLDG 197 houses "the" cafeteria on the base although there are other small eateries around. People often get to work, get settled it, and then work their way down to cafeteria for a cup of coffee or a bagel or something and bring it back to their desks.

In my office, we actually don't allow long breaks for breakfast and most offices are the same, so the majority of people are bringing it back to their desks.
We're all glad that you're doing ok. I had a couple job interviews down there and my god it was such a bad commute that I turned around midway.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:21 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,690,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
We're all glad that you're doing ok. I had a couple job interviews down there and my god it was such a bad commute that I turned around midway.
It's okay if you go early, that's why so many do. I was just listening to the story of the 73 year old man who was killed. He got up at 3:45 AM every morning. You just don't feel like eating that early, KWIM? Plus if you're on the road for any length of time you don't want to eat and drink too much.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:46 PM

102 posts, read 540,213 times
Christine, coming out of lurker mode to say that I'm so glad you're ok! Thanks for sharing your story.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,468,520 times
Christine, as others have said, I'm so glad you were not hurt. My "better-half" also does contracting and occasionally has to go the Navy Yard.

Please tell your co-workers my thoughts and prayers are with them and all the families.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:17 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,741,467 times
Christine, if you know the answer and don't mind saying, how on earth did this guy get a shotgun into the building? Are there not cops stationed at the entrances where you swipe your CAC? (And even if there aren't, how come no one noticed a guy bringing a shotgun in?)

Old 09-17-2013, 07:05 PM

947 posts, read 1,405,205 times
I'll join the rest of the CD family in saying that, even though I don't know you personally, I am relieved you are safe but very sad for the loss of your co-workers, especially the security guard whom you knew. I just read on the Post that one of those killed, Mary Frances Knight, is from Reston, so it sort of hits home for me.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,339,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Christine, if you know the answer and don't mind saying, how on earth did this guy get a shotgun into the building? Are there not cops stationed at the entrances where you swipe your CAC? (And even if there aren't, how come no one noticed a guy bringing a shotgun in?)
I work at another Navy base in town and the Marines are on guard at the door at my building, but personnel with a valid ID do not get patted down or have to go through a security screening to gain access to the facility; which leads me to believe that the suspect was concealing his weapons before he went on a rampage.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:18 PM

15,159 posts, read 27,864,435 times
Glad you're okay Christine!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:48 PM

754 posts, read 1,741,495 times
Christine I am glad to hear you are ok. I know many folks in that building and spent so much time there myself, many I spoke with are really dealing with the effects of that trauma. I spoke to a few yesterday and what I got was an overwhelming sense of guilt that they were ok and others were not so fortunate, and I have been thinking nonstop about the victims, their friends and families, and those that will suffer great emotional distress after this for so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia