Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 09:09 PM

5 posts, read 14,942 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to NoVA in early 08 to go to Marymount University. WHERE do I live??? I'm not afraid of a commute but would rather live within Metro distance... I'm going to be working some but focusing on studying so something not TOO expensive would be the best. I need something small and cozy in a liberal area. thanks in advance to anyone who has some input..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 05:07 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,211 times
What's your definition of "too expensive"? For some that's $1500 a month, for others, that's a $600k house.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:33 AM

352 posts, read 1,591,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
What's your definition of "too expensive"? For some that's $1500 a month, for others, that's a $600k house.
Exactly...and should we be assuming you're buying or renting? Makes a big big difference, especially with the inner suburbs...

Welcome to Northern Virginia!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:28 PM

Cool renting on a graduate budget

I have been in Florida forever so the thought of $1000 for a 500 sq. ft flat is gross but I know there is a huge difference between Fl and VA. < $1200 pr/month is about it for me. I know that narrows things done a bit but I will have a significant other to help with the bills... I will be traveling that way in December to scope things out. I need a game plan of where to look. THanks again

Old 11-19-2007, 09:15 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,211 times
$1,200 might be a bit tight to find a decent place in Arlington but if you come over to Falls Church, which isn't more than a 15-20 minute drive, there should be plenty of cozy apartments in the price range. Heck, my 895 sq ft 1 bedroom is $1169 a month and its very nice with the exception of coin-dispenser laundry--which is extremely annoying.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
$1,200 might be a bit tight to find a decent place in Arlington but if you come over to Falls Church, which isn't more than a 15-20 minute drive, there should be plenty of cozy apartments in the price range. Heck, my 895 sq ft 1 bedroom is $1169 a month and its very nice with the exception of coin-dispenser laundry--which is extremely annoying.
Heck, you can even find a 1BR in Arlington for $1200 or under, but it might be a 60 year old complex. I agree; it will be key to find a 1 BR with a in-unit washer-dryer - you don't know how much you value such a thing until you don't have it.

Liberal leaning areas, for what it's worth, start with Arlington and also include Falls Church and Alexandria City. Fairfax County is much more that way these days, especially in Springfield, Annandale, Fairfax City, and the area of Fairfax County that's called Alexandria (which is south of the city of Alexandria.) Start getting out too far into Fairfax County and it gets a little sanitized, which is perfect for some but doesn't seem to be your cup o'tea. I'd focus on Arlington if you can find something that fits your budget, and also include Falls Church 22046 and 22042, especially if you can find something that's closeby to the West Falls Church, East Falls Church, or Dunn Loring metro stations. Marymount University is off the Ballston metro stop, but Ballston can get *very* pricey.

If you're interested in finding areas that are liberal in a political sense, a good idea would be to check out the voting patterns for our last Senate race in 2006, where Sen. Webb beat the incumbent Sen. Allen by a few thousand votes - basically a dead heat statewide. The link to look up by county/neighborhood/etc. is General Election- November 7, 2006 (http://www2.sbe.virginia.gov/web_docs/Election/results/2006/Nov/htm/index.htm - broken link).

Hope this helps!

Old 11-24-2007, 05:47 AM

Post commuting to Arlington

Thanks for the living info.. I have been able to check out some great places..since I will have a roommate it is not as much a problem . but another thing... it looks like around Marymount Uni. there aren't any Metro stops???? whats the deal with public transport??? How much does it cost a year? Would it be crazy to live in D.C. and commute out??? I found a quaint little apartment building Lexington Apartments in d.c. Since I have noticed that the rent is much more around NoVa does that mean everything else is more expensive as well??? gas, food, going out? And where do I find info about registering vehicles, registering to vote and all that mundane jazz??? city website???

Old 11-26-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutUF View Post
Thanks for the living info.. I have been able to check out some great places..since I will have a roommate it is not as much a problem . but another thing... it looks like around Marymount Uni. there aren't any Metro stops???? whats the deal with public transport??? How much does it cost a year? Would it be crazy to live in D.C. and commute out??? I found a quaint little apartment building Lexington Apartments in d.c. Since I have noticed that the rent is much more around NoVa does that mean everything else is more expensive as well??? gas, food, going out? And where do I find info about registering vehicles, registering to vote and all that mundane jazz??? city website???
Marymount University has complimentary shuttle service to and from Ballston Metro: Marymount University Campus Map (http://www.marymount.edu/map/directions/ - broken link)

It would not be crazy to live in DC and commute out at all, though living in DC is probably a bit more expensive than NoVA, and the neighborhoods can be wildly different in quality and safety, where NoVA neighborhoods have a lower variance on those counts. Also, it'll cost you 2-3x more to insure your car in DC than it will in VA.

Registering to vote in Virginia - Virginia State Board of Elections : Registering To Vote

Registering to vote in DC - District of Columbia: Board of Elections and Ethics: Main Page

Arlington County web site - Official Site of Arlington County Virginia : : Arlington, Virginia

DC web site - District of Columbia

Hope this helps!

Old 11-26-2007, 11:21 AM

45 posts, read 307,339 times
Try Westover Apartments...managed by AHC. I've been there 5 years and love it. My rent is below 1K a month which includes most utilities. We have a few oddballs but they're nice.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:55 AM

Red face westover

Dwiggin3: where are they? DC/Arlington???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia